Independent 7312/Dac

Posted by John on March 24th, 2010

John.

Not the easiest Dac puzzle, I thought. The explanation of two or three answers still eludes me, but no doubt someone will explain. The two symmetrical pairs of eight-letter answers look significant, but perhaps it’s just that the pairing is neat.

1 C(AT L)OVER — I had to cheat on this
6 DETACH — (the cad)*
9 ART IE R — Art Garfunkel (even I knew that)
10/11 COMPOUND INTEREST — co m{oney} pound in (street)*
12 NO BALL — n{ot} o{ut} “bawl”
13 R(ED)T OP
15 LECTER{n} — ref Hannibal Lecter
17 DRY ROT — (tory rd)rev.
19 L A(HO)RE
21 BAS(QU)E
22/24 NATIONAL TREASURE — (leaves Tarantino)* sure
25 BRIG ID
26 AD HERE
27 S T(ENG)UNS

2 ARRANGER — but I can’t see why, apart from the fact that an arranger puts things in order
3 LEICESTER SQUARE — 2 defs
4 goVERNEss
5 RECITAL — another one whose explanation defeats me
6 DO MINI CAL{m} I think, although calf=skirt doesn’t quite ring true and perhaps it’s something else (Rubbish)
7 T(ROUBLE SH)OOTING
8 C(AND L{ight})E
14 PER SE CUTE
16 CROATIAN — (in a coat) around {Ma}r{ch}
18 TENDERS — 2 defs
20 WAR(RE)D
23 TA(B{aby})LE — how does table=dummy?

15 Responses to “Independent 7312/Dac”

1. NealH says:

I think arranger is rang in [c]arer, but also lost on why table=dummy.

2. NealH says:

6 is cal[m] rather than calf and 5 is rec (short for recreation ground, I think) ahead of Ital[y].

3. NealH says:

I raced through most of this but then got a bit stuck with 1,5,15,23 (because I didn’t understand it) and 25. Getting 1 got me going again and I managed to finish it. I was a bit confused by the homophone in 12 across because ball can also mean to shout, but you’ve explained it for me. In 25, I’d slightly criticise the use of ID as a synonym for passport, since clearly lots of other things (driving licences, ID cards) can be used as ID. I’d have certainly got the answer more quickly if it had said “passport, perhaps” as I wouldn’t have been sitting there thinking there is no synonym for passport.

4. SimonG says:

Thanks for the blog, John.

On 1a, a COVER is a recording of song by someone other than the original artist, in full a cover version which then goes round AT L as per your explanation. That said, I don’t associate a cat lover with a queen fan…

I think 2d is CARER less C around RANG (called) and I think 5d is RECreation (park area) + ITALy.

I can’t improve on your explanation of 6d…

5. Gaufrid says:

In 23dn, table=dummy as in the card game Bridge (confirmed in COED under dummy).

6. jmac says:

RE 23down: I assumed this was a reference to bridge (the card game) where “dummy” lays his/her cards on the table and those cards might be referred to as being “the table.”

7. SimonG says:

By the time I’d finished typing, NealH had already posted his explanations – must type faster…

8. NealH says:

That’s why I posted it as lots of separate comments. I knew that if I didn’t press submit quickly, someone would beat me to it. In 2, the cal[m] is still shortened and mini is the skirt.

9. SimonG says:

Lesson learned for next time!

10. Neo says:

Queen = adult female cat and a good prog band that sold out. Table = dummy eludes me and Collins. So far.

I’m going backwards at the minute – apart from Glow-worm on Monday, don’t seem to have finished an Indy for ages, and this Dac was too tough for me today. Hey ho …

12. nmsindy says:

I found this fairly easy until I came to my last three answers which took me quite a while, CAT LOVER, RECITAL, LECTER (that took me ages). Enjoyable and all stacking up as always from Dac. Favourites, CAT LOVER and RED-TOP.

13. Derrick Knight says:

I thought the run of clues from 7 to 18 down very good

14. Quixote says:

I always enjoy Dac’s puzzles. The clues are accurate and meaningful and tend to use relatively straightforward constructions. We’ve been crossword colleagues for decades. This puzzle was indeed one of his harder ones, and I enjoyed it all the more. One little niggle — I really don’t like i.e. being defined by ‘that’s’. If you apply the subsititution test for a definition, I really do think you need the full version: ‘that is’. Pedantic maybe? Yes, but I’ll stick to my guns on thisnone.

15. John says:

Yes, that was sloppy, NealH. Of course skirt = mini and calm = still. Silly of me. I’ll adjust the blog.