Financial Times 13,333 by Cincinnus

Posted by Pete Maclean on March 25th, 2010

Pete Maclean.

Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of March 15
I remember FT puzzle number 10,000 and now here we are a third of the way through another batch of 10,000. Cincinnus marks the occasion with an especially fine puzzle, highlighted by a smashing 6D. I also particularly like 9A, 13A and 21A. And there is one clue whose working I do not completely understand, 25A. Surely someone will fill me in.

1. SHERLOCK – [U]SHER (Poe’s house not starting) + LOCK (20, i.e. Yale, perhaps). Edgar Allan Poe wrote “The Fall of the House of Usher”.
5. LERNER – homophone (“learner”)
9. INTREPID – anagram of PINTER + ID (I would)
10, 27. NORMAN MAILER – NORMAN (French) + MAILER (dispatcher of letters)
12. ON THE SPOT – anagram of PHOTO SENT
13. CAPES – double definition
14. OVER – double definition and, I suppose, an &lit.
16. DESIRED – cryptic definition (de-sired)
19. IDEALLY – I (I) + DEAL (do business) + [p]L[a]Y (play ignoring the odds)
21. MASH – M (a number of Romans) + AS (like) + H (hot)
24. NACRE – reverse hidden word
25. LIMELIGHT – double definition? What has limelight got to do with Greenland?
28. ANEMONES – anagram of NO SEAMEN
29. REGINA – [borde]R + EG (say) + IN (in) + A (a)
30. MOLASSES – MO (Missouri) + LASSES (girls)

1. SPIGOT – S (second) + PIG (glutton) + TO backwards
2, 22. ESTATE AGENTS – anagram of SENATE GETS
3. LOEWE – homophone (“low”)
4. CHIPPER – double definition
6. EXORCISTS – &lit. anagram of EXIT + CROSS
7. NAME PART – APE MAN (Tarzan) backwards + RT (right)
8. RINGSIDE – RING (call) + SIDE (team)
11. STUD – double definition
15. VELVETEEN – VET (former GI) in anagram of ELEVEN (11)
17. MISNOMER – N (name) in anagram of MEMOIRS
18. FETCHING – F (fine) + ETCHING (print)
20. YALE – Y (US hostel) + ALE (drink). Americans say “Y” as a short form of YMCA (or YMHA and probably YWCA).
21. MEMENTO – MEME (same in France) + anagram of NOT
23. STASIS – STASI (secret police) + S[tudents]
26. LEMMA – L (large) + EMMA (girl)

5 Responses to “Financial Times 13,333 by Cincinnus”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

Pete, just a quick answer to your question on 25ac.
    LIME is ‘green’ and LIGHT is ‘land’.
    More about this later [because for me it’s time to sleep now].

2. Richard says:

Pete,

My reaction is identical to yours. I really enjoyed this, but didn’t get the “Greenland” meaning in 25ac.

Thanks for the blog.

3. Pete Maclean says:

Aha! Thank you, Sil.

4. Sil van den Hoek says:

Another winner from Cincinnus.
    Yesterday I said re Orlando’s Guardian crossword that I find it hard to criticise a setter who week in week out opens tin cans full of cryptic miracles.
    As if he doesn’t have to make any effort to achieve that.
    Well, probably he does have to, but the results are consistently marvellous.

There’s so much thought put into these clues.

For example, the brilliant link between 5ac (LERNER) and 3d (LOEWE), the similar clue and the same device (a homophone).
    The abundance of fantastic surfaces.
    They make me (the occasional amateur setter) jealous.
    Just look at the ‘Head and shoulders’ clue (CAPES, 13ac).
    Or 19ac, 6d, 7d, 21d (with the ‘same/different’ combination) or 23d (recently seen STASIS clued by Paul, but this one is just so much more appropriate).

I especially liked the MASH of 21ac.
    Beautiful construction.

I know, the crossword as a whole is not even that difficult.
    For some people, maybe, not challenging enough.
    But I enjoy the Art of Cincinnus’ Cluing.
    Very inspirational.

5. Pete Maclean says:

>> I especially liked the MASH of 21ac.
    >> Beautiful construction.

Hear, hear!

>> I know, the crossword as a whole is not even that difficult.
    >> For some people, maybe, not challenging enough.

Challenging can be good in my book but I rate a clue much more by its elegance than by its difficulty.