Independent 7,314 by Phi

Posted by Simon Harris on March 26th, 2010

Simon Harris.

It’s a while since I blogged a Friday Phi, so either I’m a little rusty or this was quite a tough one.

Not having heard of the relevant trilogy didn’t help, although it didn’t prevent completion. That honour goes to 19/11, which is still puzzling me.

6 SWORD OF HONOUR – S + WORD OF HONOUR.
8 BRER – RE in BR.
9 PURITANISM – (UP + MARTINIS)*.
10 MEN AT ARMS – (SMART NAME)*.
14 ODDBALL – dd.
15 SPAG BOL – SPA + G + BOL[t].
18 ERIC – from EPIC, with R replacing P.
20 GENTLEMEN – GEN + LET* + ME + N.
22 IMMODERATE – (M + MODE) in IRATE.
24 THAW – WHAT*.
25/6D UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER – (INCIDENTAL RUNNER ODOURS)*.
1 DOORJAMB – DO + OR + JAM + B.
2 ADAPTABLE – A + PAD< + TABLE.
3 OFF-RAMP – RAM in (OF + FP).
4 HOBNOB – H + OB + N + OB.
5 IRIS – I RIS[k].
7 OATH – [imbrogli]O AT H[ospital].
12 CLOSE CALL – (LOSE in CC) + ALL.
13 APATHETIC – A PATH + CITE<.
16 GREETING – dd.
17 CERAMIC – MARE< in CIC.
19/11 CROUCHBACK – I admittedly only got this via the “reveal” button, as the term is entirely unfamiliar, and I don’t see the wordplay.
21 HEWN – WHEN*.
23 MAUL – U in LAM<.

7 Responses to “Independent 7,314 by Phi”

1. sidey says:

Guy Crouchback is the hero of the novels, cringe = crouch, appeared again = back.

Thank you, Simon. Tough in places, but helped by the theme. I too am completely at a loss with 19/11. It’s not in my dictionary, but looking on line seems to be an archaic word for hunchback, but I still don’t see it.

I liked the clever anagrams of ‘when’ and ‘what’ and smiled at 16dn.

Okay, thanks for explaining that one, sidey.

4. nmsindy says:

I enjoyed this a lot, and it brought back happy memories of reading that trilogy – a must amusing series of books – quite a while ago now. So once I’d worked MEN AT ARMS out from the anagram I was on my way, tho I did not immediately remember the titles of the other two, so it was a pleasing voyage of rediscovery. Favourite clue, ODDBALL.

5. Richard says:

A great crossword. Difficult, but fair.

6. Wil Ransome says:

I think it was difficult if you are unfamiliar with Evelyn Waugh (who hasn’t I think yet been mentioned), but he is in some respects a great hero of mine and I found this unusually easy.

Having said that, I still don’t get 14ac (ODDBALL: ‘Curious what’s left towards the end of break?’). All I can see is that curious = odd. And I’ve never heard of ‘off-ramp’. And in 19/11 I can’t really see why ‘appeared again’ gives ‘back’.

7. nmsindy says:

Wil, the ODD/BALL refers to snooker, I think, where a break is a big score. Off-ramp pretty familiar to those on motorway junctions I think – I’ve definitely heard it and remembered it from that. Appeared again, I took as a second appearance ie back (ie appearing again). I myself was a bit surprised that EW was not mentioned. Knowing the books was why, like Wil, I found it easy once I got the initial breakthrough.