Indepedent 7316 by Morph

Posted by NealH on March 29th, 2010

NealH.

Pleasant Monday crossword from Morph with some cracking clues. It wasn’t too difficult, although it took me a while to get going with it and there were a couple I didn’t quite follow. There was a little bit of a political theme to one or two of the clues.

1 Kicked Into Touch: One that was a bit difficult to work out, but I think the def is “upon playing field no longer” and stopped=kicked and “using loving caress”=into touch.
9 Tipster: Step* in T IR (Inland Revenue, now called HMRC).
10 Re-edits: It in reeds.
11 Intimated: [H]int + (made it)*.
12 Edify: CD/DD (edify = make into an editor).
13 Ally: All + y.
14 Well Wisher: CD/DD. One investing money at source = someone putting money into a well to make a wish.
18 Exploiting: E + X + piloting with the I moved.
20 Chub: Chub[by].
23 Chair: Didn’t follow this – “A seat for Labour or Lib Dem party official ?” Obviously, seat=chair but don’t understand the rest unless it’s something to do with chair=chairman.
24 Homunculi: Ho[rse] + munc[hkin] + u[nicorn] + li[on].
25 Inertia: In (=among) + E + r[ight] t[aking] + [parl]ia[ment].
26 Rossini: (Jonathan) Ross (aka the 6 million pound man) + in + i.
27 Blue Sky Thinking: Blue(=rude) + (kinky nights)*.
1 Kittiwake: Hom of kitty + wake, although I would question whether a wake is the same as a funeral.
2 Capital: Cap (=limit) + a l (=line) under it.
3 Entomb: Ben + Tom with the b moved to the end. Beatrix Potter isn’t my strong suit, but she did apparently do a “Tale of Benjamin Bunny”, so I’m assuming that’s where the Ben comes from.
4 In retreat: (Train tree)*.
5 Tired: Can’t quite work this out = “Pointless to get up, at the end of the day, if so.”
6 Theremin: E[lephant] in the rm + I + n.
7 Un-Irish: (Rum his)*, whiskey of course being the Irish spelling as opposed to whisky.
8 Hasty: Hast (= do you) + [prickl]y (term being used to indicated end).
15 Long March: M[ao] + arc + h after long.
16 Rabbiting: Bar< + biting.
17 Socrates: SOS around crate.
19 Plateau: Plat(= french for flat or still) + eau. I thought the use of highland here was very cunning, because I was convinced I was looking for something in Scotland. In retrospect, the lack of a capital letter should have given it away.
21 Houdini: HO + UDI NI.
22 Unison: Unions with the on moved.
23 Climb: Clegg incomplete is cleg = c + limb.
24 Hoary: Ho + ay around r.

8 Responses to “Indepedent 7316 by Morph”

1. Gaufrid says:

Hi Neal
    My take on 23ac was a dd, the obvious one and the fact that, unlike the Tories (Eric Pickles), Labour and the Lib Dems have a female chairman (Hazel Blears & Lorely Burt). In these politically correct times they would possibly be referred to as the ‘Chair’ (though both their titles are still officially Chairman of the Parliamentary Party or similar).

5dn is [s]TIR (pointless to get up) [th]E D (day)

Thanks, Neal

I agree with the definition of 1ac but I took it as KICKED [stopped using] INTO [loving] TOUCH [caress].

I forgot to say how much I enjoyed this puzzle, as always with Morph [many thanks].

Lots of super clues – I particularly liked 11 and 12 ac and 7, 8, 17 and 22dn.

Thank you, Neal.

I called it a day after a very enjoyable hour or so this morning with only THEREMIN left – just couldn’t quite manage to see how it worked.

It would make me feel better if someone else could confess to trying for too long to find an anagram of ‘rude kinky nights’ at 27ac.

If you’ll indulge me, just wanted to explain the mindset of a solver whose enthusiasm is greater than his ability. On the first run through today there were three or four clues where I didn’t see the answer straight away and had no crossing letters; but I managed to work out the wordplay, write it down, and then thought to myself ‘hmm, that’s a word and it fits the definition’. Simple pleasures.

And I think this is the first time I personally have seen X=vote, but that’s obvious when you think about it.

Thank you Morph for a solid and enjoyable puzzle, and especially for KITTIWAKE, which I’m still smiling about.

5. Mick Hodgkin says:

Thanks for the blog and the comments. Not quite a theme, but I set out to include a raft of annoying cliches – a couple in the long answers and some more in clues: “elephant in the room”, “beyond the curve” etc. This may have helped some of the surface readings, but made some of the wordplay tricky to spot, as with 5 down.
    One lesson I have taken from this is not to include the word HOMUNCULI again. Ever. I struggled with it for ages!

6. IanN14 says:

Oh, thanks, Mick,
    I did waste a bit of time looking for a theme or a nina in this.
    I’d considered betting (Tipster and Odds (column 12)).
    Something to do with Chair and Mao.
    I even thought, perhaps, I was going to appear myself in the second row, but the “H” in “theremin” spoilt that…

Mick, (and I presume you’re the setter, forgive me if not): from the other side of the fence, HOMUNCULI was the clue I got the biggest buzz from solving from the wordplay. So don’t retire it for ever, just let it have a lie down in the long grass for a bit.

8. Mick H says:

Thanks, kd, that’s good to know. Sorry, I meant to comment as morph.