Financial Times 13,348 / Cinephile

Posted by Gaufrid on March 31st, 2010

Gaufrid.

Not a lot to say today. The puzzle didn’t seem to have any sparkle though my feelings about it may have been affected by the high winds and heavy rain that are making the morning rather dismal.

I have a problem with 5,11 where I am sure my answer is correct but am unable to satisfy myself that I have got the parsing right. Either I am missing something or there is an error in the clue that cannot be corrected by the addition of the question mark.  Edit: Eileen has kindly set me straight on this one, see comment #1

1 WHOOSH  WHO O (love) SH (silence)
4 SMASH HIT  SMASH (overhead volley) HIT (a stroke)
9 RECORD  dd
10 ANACONDA  A CON (a prisoner) in AND (with) A
12 WIDE BALL  cd&d
15 OBAN  O (round) BAN (prohibition)
16,13 SWEATED LABOUR  W[ood] (Woodhead) in SEATED (in a chair) LABOUR (party)
20 CONNOTE  CON (oppose) NOTE (message)
21 MIMI  M1 M1 (road repeated)
25 AFFRAY  FF (very noisy) RA (guns) in AY (always)
26 UNTOWARD  *(WOUND TAR)
28 BLIMP OUT  LIMP (display injury) in BOUT (battle) – a slang term for overeating not found in any of the usual references
29 GRETNA  hidden in ‘reGRET NAturally’
30 GREENERY  RE (engineers) in *(ENERGY)
31 ASHRAM  ASH (tree) RAM (animal)

1,3 WORMWOOD SCRUBS  WORMWOOD (absinthe) SCRUBS (is cleansing)
2 ORCADIAN  ORCA (a killer) DIAN (poetical goddess)
5,11 MIND-BLOWING  MIND (care) BLOWING (buzz off ? ) – to ‘blow’ can mean “to depart” and ‘buzz off’ is a slang term for “to go away” but the part of speech is not correct for buzz off = blowing  Edit: see comment #1 – thanks Eileen
6 SOCRATES  SO (accordingly) CRATES (bangers, old cars)
7 HANG ON  cd&d
8 TEA URN  *(NATURE)
18,14,17 DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN  *(PRESIDENT IS TOP WHAT AGAIN)
19 WIND FARM  IN (home) DF (direction finder) in WARM (close)
22 GASBAG  ASB[o] (anti-yob order nothing less) in GAG (silencer)
23 OFFICE  OFF ICE (away from skating)
24 MORRIS  d&cd – old car manufacturer
27 PURR  UP reversed RR (rights)

7 Responses to “Financial Times 13,348 / Cinephile”

Thanks Gaufrid, particularly for 28ac!

I wondered about 5,11, too, but, given your definition of ‘blow’, which I didn’t know, it works as ‘Do you mind blowing? = ‘Do you care to buzz off?’

I smiled at 18,14,17 and, as a teacher during the 90s, when Chris Woodhead was HM Chief Inspector of Schools, at 16,13.

2. Gaufrid says:

Hi Eileen
    Thanks for the correction re 5,11. I will withdraw my comment. I agree that the two highlights were 18,14,17 and 16,13 though both are more appropriate to former decades.

3. Sil van den Hoek says:

Hi, Gaufrid, did this crossword only today, but maybe you will still read this post and, hopefully, be able to answers my questions below.

Although, when seeing Woodhead, I initially thought: There’s the Gateshead thing again [that so many people dislike], I must say (after reading Eileen’s explanation) that it’s a rather good clue.
    Indeed, a highlight, just as 18,14,17 – even though the Britishness of it (and the other) is a handicap to me.

Other typical British answers like GRETNA and WORMWOOD SCRUBS needed time (and Wiki) to fully understand [as far as the definition is concerned].

Still left with two questions:

- I know (now) that DF in Radioland stands for a technique called ‘Direction Finding’, but is ‘finder’ instead of ‘finding’ acceptable then?

- In 2d we have DIAN as ‘a poetical goddess’. Well, DIANA is a well-known goddess, but does Cinephile mean ‘take the last A off’ to make it ‘poetical’?
    Or is it a name from a particular poem?
    Btw, DIAN is a name in Irish mythology, but he’s a male, because one of the three sons of Carman.

Hi Sil

‘DIAN’is Diana, sometimes shortened in poetry to fit the scansion, as in ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ Act I sc.iv:

See as thou wast wont to see:
    Dian’s bud o’er Cupid’s flower
    Hath such force and blessed power.

Re 18,14,7: ‘Britishness’??

5. Gaufrid says:

Hi Sil

According to Chambers, DF is the abbreviation for ‘direction finder’.

Also from Chambers, “Diana (also Dian) the Roman goddess of light, the moon goddess, representative of chastity and hunting, identified with the Greek Artemis”.

Correction – the other way round: Act IV sc i. Apologies!

7. Sil van den Hoek says:

So, thank you both, that’s all clear then!
    [Eileen, in 18,14,7 I just had a vision of British politics :) ]