Posted by Pete Maclean on April 1st, 2010
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of March 20
A specially good puzzle from Mudd this time. I like 9A, 15A, 23A, 5D and 14D.
1. COMPASS – M (male) in COP (23) + ASS (charlie)
5. HOGWASH – HOG (pig) + WASH (lick)
9. ADDER – double/cryptic definition
10. FIRMAMENT – FIRM (unyielding) + AMEN (word of prayer) + T (time)
11. GALLANTRY – ALL (everyone) in GANTRY (overhead structure)
12. DEATH – hidden word
13. DRILL – double definition
15. UNSPOTTED – double/cryptic definition
18. WATERSHED – anagram of THREAD + SEW
19. MATCH – double definition
21. NYLON – NY (US city) + LON[don] (British city, half cut). This seems a bit awkward because only one of the cities is half cut.
23. POLICEMAN – P[otato] + anagram of MAIL ONCE
25. BOOMERANG – BOOM (sound of explosion) + E[cho] + RANG (resonated)
26. PHOTO – HOT (erotic) in PO (flower)
27. GREMLIN – GR (George — as in George Rex) + [gi]L[bert] in EMIN (modern artist)
28. THEREAT – [peopl]E in THREAT (menace)
1. CHANGED – C[riminals] + HANGED (executed)
2. MEDALLIST – anagram of STILL MADE
3. AORTA – A + (a) + OR (gold) + [s]TA[r]
4. SOFT TOUCH – double definition
5. HARDY – double definition. This may be a fairly obvious clue but I think it is a good one and it qualifies as an &lit.
6. GUARDROOM – U (bend) in DRAG (haul) + MOOR (Othello) both backwards
7. ARENA – A (a) + RENA[l] (kidney failing in the end). One might complain that renal is an adjective while kidney is a noun.
8. HITCHED – H (husband) + ITCHED (proved irritating)
14. LARYNGEAL – anagram of AN ALLERGY
16. SIDELIGHT – DELI (shop) in SIGHT (view). I quickly figured out that this was some kind of light. But moonlight? Limelight? Starlight? Took me a while!
17. TOTEM POLE – TO (to) + TEMPO (speed) + LE (the French)
18. WINDBAG – cryptic definition
20. HANDOUT – HAND (worker) + OUT (unavailable)
22. LOOSE – O (love) in LOSE (miss)
23. PLAIN – double definition
24. COPSE – S (sulphur) in COPE (manage)