Guardian 24977 – Orlando

Posted by Uncle Yap on April 6th, 2010

Uncle Yap.

I found this puzzle very much like last week’s Gordius. Challenging and interspersed with some witty and humorous definition. Definitely an enjoyable and delightful solve.

ACROSS
1 BOLIVIA B (bachelor) Olivia (girl)
5 LAMBADA Ins of A in Lambda (Greek letter with Lysander, a Greek name indicating so)
9 SUMATRA Ins of MA (scholar) in SUTRA (Sanskrit sayings)
10 MANKIND I must confess the word-play here foxed me as I never knew the Isle of Man was ever a battleground for the US Armed Forces. Then I saw the reversal indicator and NAM (short for Vietnam, where the US was engaged in an ill-advised and protracted war) + KIND (the German word for a child. Phew !
11 ARTILLERY Ins of ILL (evil) in Artery (major road)
12 ANNIE rha very well disguised, straddling three words
13 DODGE dd
15 INDIGENES Ins of GEN (information) in Indies (exotic locations) native born; originating or produced naturally in a country, not imported, opp to exotic.
17 TRAPPISTS Ins of PP (very quiet) in *(straits) Cistercian monk of the reformed rule established by De Ranc (1626-1700), abbot of La Trappe in Normandy, noted for its austerity and rule of silence. Would you call this an &lit ?
19 ERRED Even letters in dEaR fRiEnD’s
22 APRON Ins of PRO (in favour of) in AN
23 ENAMOURED E (sweetheart or the middle letter of swEet) + *(around me)
25 FINNISH Ins of INN (local) in FISH (sole perhaps)
26 TWADDLE T (first letter of telly) WADDLE (funny walk) This clue is so well crafted that I could not help but remember John Cleese doing that famous MPATFC skit
27 COMPEER Ins of PE (physical education or gym) in COME (turn up) + R (right) person who is the equal of another in rank, ability or status;
28 SATISFY *(fist say)

DOWN
1 BUSTARD Bust a rd (rev of dr or doctor, under arrest) Nice misdirection
2 LIMITED Ins of MITE (small child) in LID (cap)
3 VITAL Cha of VITA (Victoria Mary Sackville-West, The Hon Lady Nicolson, CH (1892–1962), best known as Vita Sackville-West, was an English author and poet. Her long narrative poem, The Land, won the Hawthornden Prize in 1927) + L (first letter of lesbianism)
4 ACADEMIES *(ideas came)
5 LUMPY Cha of LUM (chimney or smoker) PY (first and last letters of Pitlochry)
6 MONTAIGNE *(enigma not) Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533–1592) was one of the most influential writers of the French Renaissance, known for popularizing the essay as a literary genre
7 AVIGNON Ins of VI (six) G (middle letter of niGht or midnight) in ANON (soon) French city with a bridge made famous by a song hence “noted bridge” Very clever definition
8 ADDRESS I thought this was a dd but Chambers did not support it. Then I remember the common phrase “name and address” and the sen (the Malaysian coin, 1/100 of a ringgit) dropped… name successor, indeed !
14 EXPENSIVE Ins of PENS (swans) I V (see) in River EXE. What a creative and amusing definition – requiring a lot of bread :-)
16 DESCARTES cd alluding to that famous quote “I think; therefore I am”.
One of the jokey “quotes” which made the rounds years ago:
To do is to be – Descartes
To be is to do – Jean Paul Sartre
Do be do be do – Frank Sinatra
17 TRAFFIC What a delightful dd, jam maker, indeed!
18 ACRONYM Cha of A Crony (mate) M (married) Orlando’s def made me laugh
20 REREDOS Rev of SOLDERER (joiner) minus L (left)
21 DODDERY Ins of DD (Day after day) in DOE (a deer a female deer, ray a ….) + RY (railway)
23 ESHER FRESHER (new student) minus FR (father)
24 OP ART O (love) PART (some)

Key to abbreviations
dd = double definition
dud = duplicate definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

20 Responses to “Guardian 24977 – Orlando”

1. rrc says:

A very mechanical crossword, which struggled to get a smile and grateful for the blog to explain those I could not see,

2. molonglo says:

Thanks Uncle Yap, especially for the NAM explanation, and for 8d. All your observations are spot-on. Under 30 mins for this, with a guess at 27a (well, there was no alternative). 18d was the cutest.

3. Ian says:

Thanks Uncle Yap.

A delightful Orlando with much to admire. Not least the wordplay for arriving at ‘Expensive’ at 14dn, the equally clever construction to 6dn in a much better way than that appearing in the Everyman two days ago. 18dn was superb. 44′ solving time.

4. Bryan says:

Merci beaucoup, Oncle Jacasserie, this required – how do you say in English? – a bit of français. Non?

I am sure that Sil will have taken it in his stride but how about Grumpy André?

I wait with some trepidation.

5. Sil van den Hoek says:

Well, Bryan (#4), here I am.
    No comments about your foreign language skills whatsoever :).

Although I have a soft spot for Orlando’s crosswords, I found this one a bit of a mixed bag.

This setter’s main features are IMO: fine surfaces, thoughtful anagrams and nice misdirections.

The beautiful surfaces were all there:
    11ac (ARTILLERY), 18d (ACRONYM), 25ac (FINNISH) and 20d (REREDOS) being some of the best.
    But no spectacular anagrams today.
    Well, 6d (MONTAIGNE) and 4d (ACADEMIES) are fine, but 28ac (SATISFY) is rather poor for this setter.

Talking about ‘Montaigne’, not convinced by the surface.
    Why not saying: “Enigma not puzzling for essayist”?
    A missed opportunity, I think, in the TRAPPISTS of 17ac: Why not writing Dire Straits
    in capitals [the band contained the two brothers Knopfler] – I assume it is legitimate to capitalise these words, unlike lower-casing words that should be in capitals.
    In 16d (DESCARTES) the clue would – again, IMHO – have been better when Orlando would have added a word like ‘so’, e.g. “He thought, so he was a philosopher”.

As you say, Uncle Yap, nice use of ‘under/arrest’ in 1d , but my Misdirection of the Day can be found in 23ac (ENAMOURED) in which at first I tried to find a word for ‘weaving’ to surround ‘me’ – which, as it turned out to be, was wrong.

On the negative side, I didn’t like the double definitions of 13ac and 17d, nor did I enjoy (the surface and construction of) 22ac.

The crossword contains one clue similar to one in a recent prize puzzle [say no more, say no more], and I must say: for me, Orlando won on points.

Finally, two remarks.

– I wondered why Orlando used the name Lysander in 5ac, but now I see. It starts with an L, which for Greek people is a ‘lambda’, but it is not just a Greek name – he was a famous Spartan general during the Peloponnesian War.

– Why, in 14d (EXPENSIVE) – which is a fine clue -, is “V” = “see”?
    [I don't see 'I see', you see :)]

Looking back at this post, I fear I made more critical remarks about this crossword than normally with Orlando.
    Nonetheless, it was very enjoyable to solve.

6. Badger says:

Hi, thanks for the solution. Not a bad crossword overall. Thought some were very straightforward but a few made me smile; and had a bit of trouble with a few of the clues, not least COMPEER (a word I’d not come across).

Just one I couldn’t see the workings for, which was why I’ve looked in here, hoping for an explanation: EXPENSIVE. Got the clue, but I’ve never come across ‘see’ used for V before. I’d be grateful if someone would tell me how that works. Thanks.

7. cholecyst says:

Sil and Badger: Latin vide = see. V. Chambers.

8. Martin H says:

A bit of a mixed bag, I agree, Sil. APRON and MANKIND were nicely done, otherwise, as rrc says, a bit mechanical. Does anyone still say ‘gym’ for PE?

‘v’ stands for Latin ‘vide’ meaning see, usually indicating a reference, eg in a footnote.

9. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thanks, cholecyst & Martin, for the explanation of “V”.
    It was indeed very unlikely that an extremely precise setter like Orlando would have made a mistake.

10. Badger says:

Thanks for v = vide. I’d never seen it used thus in a crossword before. Will remember it.

11. liz says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap. This was quite a quick solve for me and I mostly found it enjoyable. Made one mistake — had INDIGENTS at 15ac, which was a case of being too hasty to work out the wordplay properly. For me the weakest clue was 16dn. I really liked 18dn and 25ac. COMPEER was new to me, but it couldn’t be anything else.

12. Tokyo Colin says:

No real problems with this. Had to look up Compeer but that’s what it had to be. Enjoyed 25A and 8D, 17D.

To Martin H – Does anyone still say ‘PE’ for Gym?

13. Bill Taylor says:

I had INDIGENTS, too; should have known better. And I had to double-check COMPEER.

When I was at school in north-east England, we used to call it PT. In Canada, it tends to be “phys ed” — not much good as a crossword clue!

Yeah, this one was definitely a mixed bag. “Mechanical” is a good word for it. Disappointing after yesterday’s very stimulating Rufus.

14. JimboNWUK says:

Oh well, I was about to have a whinge about 2D to say ‘limit’ was hardly a cryptic reference to a cap (given the clue) and why should ‘Ed’ be a little CHILD… then I read Unk’s explanation and decided not to bother! Just goes to show how it’s possoble to arrive at the same answer 2 very different ways.

Also a couple of “I think it’s that but won’t put it in till I know why”‘s like ADDRESS…. “name successor”.. doh! very cute. Also I got INDIGENTS and suspected INDI-GEN-ES to make INDIGENES but had no way to check.

COMEER is new to me.

Not a bad offering overall though — at least my ‘misses’ were due to vocab limitations (which is as it should be) rather than an obscure specialist interest.

15. walruss says:

Sounds like something I wouls say to my dog!!

Good to see Orlando once again, but I do agree with some comments above that this was not one of his best.

Anyone else have a flashback at 16dn to the Monty Python philosophers’ drinking song? From (admittedly hazy) memory:

‘Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
    Hobbes was fond of his dram
    And Rene Descartes was a drunken f*rt
    I drink, therefore I am’.

Enjoyable puzzle, thank you to Orlando, and to Uncle Yap for the blog.

17. Dad's Lad says:

Thanks Uncle Yap.

Liked 5d. Appropriate choice of Pitlochry rather than the potentially more popularly resonant Putney. Good clue.

18. Sil van den Hoek says:

So, we’ve got Kathryn’s Dad and Dad’s Lad …. what will be next? :)

But as Dad’s Lad said something about 5d, I looked at it again
    and thought … yeah, that’s Orlando.
    ‘Not even a smoker …’
    With ‘not even’ being the definition.
    Great.

19. Daniel Miller says:

Orlando certainly has alternative ways – when I’m looking for Bachelor (BA – Humbug!), See and Sow on..

20. Jobs says:

Only got half of this, but loved it. LUM for smoker and PP for very quiet were new to me. Thany you Uncle Yap for clearing it all up.