Financial Times 13,351 – Dante

Posted by Uncle Yap on April 15th, 2010

Uncle Yap.

Monday Prize Crossword on 5 April 2010
Once again, we get back our Monday mainstay, Dante who never fails to entertain us with his slick and smooth surfaces and his cryptic definitions (which you either love or hate … I just happen to love due to all those daft definitions that adorned the Readers Digest of old)

ACROSS

1 SALAMI Cha of SALA (rev of ALAS, unfortunately) MI (motorway)
4 PUPILS dd and another classic Dante clue
8 ESPOUSE E (sweetheart or middle letter of swEet) SPOUSE (wife)
9 HICCUPS Cha of HIC (here in Latin and Italian eg hic et ubique for here and everywhere) + CUPS (vessels)
11 DISCERNING dd
12 MOOD MOO (low as what a cow might do) + D (first letter of depression)
13 TIBIA Ins of I (one) in A Bit (a little) and the whole thing reversed
14 OPPOSITE Ins of IT in OPPOSE
16 BAGUETTE *(get a tube) What a lovely and geometrically correct surface
18 SCOUR Acrostic
20 PERI Peri (L)
21 ARTICULATE dd
23 IMMORAL Cha of I’M M (number 1000) ORAL (said)
24 BASQUES dd for a garment as well as people found in the North East of Spain (perhaps Dante got his direction wrong with NW)
25 NUMBER dd
26 ARREST cd

DOWN
1 SUSHI *(us his)
2 LION CUB cd
3 MISCREANT *(crimes) + ANT (social worker)
5 USING US (objective pronoun of we) IN G (middle letter of aGe)
6 INCOMES *(co + mines)
7 SUPPORTER Sup and Porter are both drinks, one a verb and the other a noun
10 RIGOLETTO *(let trio go) an opera in three acts by Giuseppe Verdi
13 TRADESMAN *(and master)
15 PUSHCHAIR cd
17 UNIFORM dd
19 OBLIQUE cd
21 AWARE Ins of A R (rex or regina, monarch) in AWE (high regard)
22 THEFT Lovely cha of THE FT (paper for all business news) Very politically correct of Dante as gets paid for this puzzle by FT!

Key to abbreviations
dd = double definition
dud = duplicate definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

5 Responses to “Financial Times 13,351 – Dante”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap, for another fine blog.
    [and sorry to have extended yesterday's Gordius one, although I had reasons for it]

This Dante was published on the same Monday that in the Guardian blog many people ‘complained’ :)) that Mr Squires’ puzzles were becoming harder.
    I have to say that this crossword was more of a challenge than that Monday’s Rufus.

And I liked it.
    Indeed, good triple (?) definition in 4ac (PUPILS).
    And perhaps my Clue of the Day in 9ac: HICCUPS.
    Or should that be: TIBIA (13ac), which had a construction just as fine?

I am completely with you, that Dante made a mistake [and the editor, again :(] using his compass to position the Basques where they actually are.

While I do understand the construction of 8ac (ESPOUSE) [one I don't like because the 'spouse' part of it is too similar to the the final solution], I don’t get the ‘help’ bit.
    Dante just having fun?

Finally, I have a question on 21ac.
    ARTICULATE is surely ‘express’, but ‘split into clearly distinct parts’? As far as I can see, it is the opposite (like e.g. WordWebPro says: ‘Unite by forming a joint or joints’).

Even so, a very rewarding crossword.

2. Uncle Yap says:

21Across Express split into clearly distinct parts (10)

Per Chambers, articulate adj jointed; composed of distinct parts; (eg of human speech) composed of recognizably distinct sounds; clear; able to express one’s thoughts with ease.
    vt to attach by a joint; to connect by joints; to form into distinct sounds, syllables or words; to express coherently.
    vi to form a joint (with; and ); to speak distinctly; to come to terms

3. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap, for giving me some homework to do in your post (#2) … :)
    I was just a bit confused by the word ‘split’ (as opposed to ‘join(t)’).
    Meanwhile Chambers is also a bit zigzagging when it says ‘to connect by joints’, ‘to form into distincts sounds etc’ and ‘to express coherently’.
    So, it’s like splitting in distincts part and then turning it into something coherent.
    Of course, I know what ‘articulate’ (in speech) means, and so I won’t make a point of it – just wanted to fully understand why Rufus wrote his clue that way.

4. walruss says:

Think lorries.

5. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thx walruss, I normally Think Bike :).
    But I see what you mean.
    No real problem anymore.
    As I said before I was a bit misdirected by the word ‘split’ which suggests a separation. That’s all.