Independent 7332 / Phi

Posted by Handel on April 16th, 2010

Handel.

Good morning! This was a real beat-the-clock job as we have to go to work! So apologies for anything we’ve missed or not explained adequately. Typically well-constructed Phi puzzle with lots of smooth surfaces and sprinklings of wit.

ACROSS

21. HOSE A

22. ANOREXIA NERVOSA cryptic definition

23. O(VERSE)E

24. CAP IT AL(l)

DOWN

1. A B(AD H)AT

2. ALTERNATIVE VOTE Implied clue for ‘veto’

3. INPATIENT ‘impatient’ with a different second letter

4. GEN(i)US

5. H(ILL BILL)Y

6. LU(I)G I refers to Luigi Cherubini, a composer

7. BEAM US UP MR SCOTT cryptic definition

8. T(HEAT)RE(e)

13. SIGHT LINE

14. DEATHTRAP (hated)* then ‘part’ reversed

15. SOP RAN O

17. C(HAG)ALL

19. MEETS ‘esteem’ reversed without the ‘e’

20. C(YN)IC

6 Responses to “Independent 7332 / Phi”

1. Ian says:

Thanks handel.

Straighforward but enjoyable.

Particular favourites were i8ac, 15ac and 17dn.

25′

Thanks, Handel, for the prompt blog – hope it didn’t make you late for work! Usual Friday elegance, and as you say wit, from Phi. 18ac was funny and wouldn’t have been out of place in a puzzle from Paul.

One small query: I’m struggling to understand ill = grievous in 5dn.

And as any Trekkie would tell you (and I’m not one, since you ask) Captain Kirk never once said: ‘Beam me up, Scotty’ in the Star Trek series, despite the phrase entering popular culture.

3. dialrib says:

KD – can’t help with 5d I’m afraid. If anyone can help me understand genius = inspirational in 4d and do = please in 14a I would be grateful. Still enjoyed the puzzle, though.

4. NealH says:

I don’t think it’s a literal translation of do = please – I think it’s more that “please employ” is equivalent to “do use”. Not sure about inspirational/genius: I suppose either inspirational must be acceptable as a noun or genius as an adjective, but can’t find either. For ill/grevious, both words can mean painful or hurtful, so I suppose they are acceptable as synonyms.

Seems like just you and me in cyberspace this evening, dialrib. I think do = please is along the lines of ‘Do help yourself’, ‘Do go ahead’ being equivalent to ‘Please help yourself’, ‘Please go ahead’.

Now you mention it, ‘inspirational’ for ‘genius’ is a bit odd. Genius can’t be an adjective, can it?

Whatever, as Kathryn would say. A good weekend to all.

Neal, you beat me to it. But as dialrib said, a good puzzle and an enjoyable start to the weekend.