Inquisitor 1121 – Associates by Lato

Posted by kenmac on April 22nd, 2010

kenmac.

Well, this one put up a fight but I won through in the end. I guess it must have taken me about 5 hours over about 4 days.

The title and preamble didn’t give much away, we had to find eight “sets” of words. The sets were defined by extra words in eight “otherwise normal” clues. One was clued but not entered, one was entered but not clued and one was to be entered, jumbled, in unclued lights. Full analysis shows that we must be talking about sets of three!

The eight sets and how they are derived is shown below:

Definition Found at: Set clued at: Jumble Unclued Clued Replacement
Painting 17a 32a RANI RAIN STEAM SPEED
Film 38a 12a YELPED DEEPLY MADLY TRULY
Musicians 3d 6a SHAN NASH STILLS CROSBY
Grandchildren 11d 25a RAVE VERA DAVE CHUCK
Department 26d 10a ERA EAR THROAT NOSE
Risks 28d 15d RIFE FIRE THEFT THIRD PARTY
Addressees 34d 28a RANSOM ROMANS COUNTRYMEN FRIENDS
Book 38d 22d HOTLINE THE LION THE WARDROBE THE WITCH

Use the following links for more information on the sets.

Painting: Rain, Steam and Speed – The Great Western Railway

Film: Truly, Madly, Deeply

Musicians: Crosby, Stills & Nash

Grandchildren: Vera, Chuck and Dave

Department: Ear, nose and Throat

Risks: Third Party, Fire and Theft

Addressees: Friends, Romans, countrymen

Book: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

No. Extra Word(or Clued thematic word) Entry Wordplay
6 STILLS CROSBY L(och) inside SLITS (rev)
9 ENRICO ENRICH (decorate)-H(enry)+O(ld). This one threw me for a long time as I had entered the answer as ENRICH (without full justification.)
10 THROAT NOSE H(ospital) inside TROAT (bellow)
12 MADLY TRULY L(iberal) inside MA[n]DY (Peter Mandelson – N(ame))
13 EARL EARLY (soon)-Y(ear)
14 ETAGE GATE (rev)+[danc]E
17 PAINTING TAT Double definition
18 THEBE THEBES (Egyptian city)-S(ucceeded)
19 TYR TYRANT (bully)-ANT (soldier)
20 DRATTED D(aughter)+RATTED (was a grass)
23 CELIA I(ndependence) inside ALEC (anag: rejected). I’m not sure I like the indirect anagram.
24 RIA AIR (spread) (rev)
25 DAVE CHUCK D(uke)+AVE (old greeting)
28 COUNTRYMEN FRIENDS UN (one)+TRY (test) inside COME (happen)+N(ovember)
32 STEAM SPEED T(ime) inside SEAM (bowling)
33 ALE Interesting clue. Tipper Gore is Al Gore‘s wife and tipper is a kind of ALE. So AL+[gor]E
35 CHAR CHAR[y] (careful)
36 PIN-UP IN (home) inside PUP (young boxer [dog])
37 INRO IRON (press) with N(ewton) moved nearer the front
38 FILM BRASS A reference to 3 down. BRAS+S(ection)
40 ROCOCO OR (men [other ranks]) (rev)+COCO (clown)
41 EMPERY MP (politician) inside EERY (strange)
42 HIGHMAN HIGH (drunk)+MAN (person)
No. Extra Word(or Clued thematic word) Entry Wordplay
1 HERETIC CITER (revisonist)+EH (what) (all rev)
2 MUSICIANS TREATY AT (in) inside TREY (three)
3 LINGERIE GERI (Haliwell [Ginger Spice]) inside LINE (chain of command)
4 NOR [w]RON[g] (rev)
5 ENURED EN ([enrolled] nurse)+RUDE (anag: doctor)
6 CALIBRATED TABLE+I (one)+CARD (anag). Another indirect anagram :-(
7 RAY The note before ME. Alternative spellings of RE and MI.
8 SOAP O(ver) inside SAP (fool)
10 NE’ER Reversed hidden word: [a]RE EN[titled]
11 GRANDCHILDREN STATE STAT (immediately)+E(ntertain)
15 THEFT THIRD PARTY T(ense)+HEFT (instalment)
16 EVE EVE[r] (always – cut short)
18 TUAN NAUT[ical] (half cut)
21 ACID A(merican)+CID (hero)
22 THE WARDROBE THE WITCH [Nick] WARD inside THE ROBE (novel). Other Nick Ward’s are available! ;-)Correction: ROB (nick) inside THE WARDE[n] (novel by Anthony Trollope)
26 DEPARTMENT CALUM U(niversity) inside CALM
27 KEEPS ON EPSOM (racecourse)-M(oney) inside KEN (knowledge)
28 RISKS FRAISE F(orce)+RAISE (stir up)
29 RAG Double definition
30 SERAPH S[e]E[n]+HARP (anag: playing)
31 ICON C(ocaine) inside ION (not really sure of the wording here)
34 ADDRESSEES WRAP RAP (monologue) (homophone: listened to)
38 BOOK BAR Double definition (BAR is a joke in Scotland)
39 SRI Hidden word: [wa]S RI[ght]

9 Responses to “Inquisitor 1121 – Associates by Lato”

1. nmsindy says:

Great blog, kenmac.

Yes, this was a super construction which took me at least as long as you to solve, maybe longer, with the theme becoming apparent only after quite a while.

My first thematic one was, I think, the addressees and the last definitely the grandchildren.

Re 6 down, I think I = one is very clear, and I think you see that from time to time rather than some other indirect anagrams which I entirely agree are unfair and a definite no-no.

2. Mike Laws says:

The fact that the “I” is defined by “one” doesn’t make 6 down an indirect anagram as a whole. The rest of the letters – “table” and “card” – are given directly, and “one” = “I” is so obvious that it can hardly be described as indirect.

It was “third party” which suggested to me what was going on, and Vera, Chuck and Dave were the last set I twigged as well. Not because I’m not familiar with the song (I’ll be getting there myself later this year!), but because I didn’t have the correct word-lengths for the words to be replaced – they were an editorial addition to a very tricky, but very enjoyable puzzle.

3. HolyGhost says:

22d: I think the wordplay for THE WARDROBE is ROB (=nick, steal) in THE WARDE(n) (=most of novel, the first of Trollope’s “Barsetshire Chronicles”).

And I didn’t see CELIA at 23a as an indirect anagram, but simply that “rejected” in the clue indicated a reversal, as in “rebuff, repel, drive back”.

As with NMS, I started with Addressees and finished with Vera, Chuck and Dave (having dallied with Dave Clark Five for a while).

And as Ken mentions, some reference to “sets of three” would have made the preamble a little clearer, but the puzzle not necessarily any easier.

4. kenmac says:

HolyGhost, you’re absolutely right about 22d. When I came to blog it I knew that I had found it relatively easy but I couldn’t, for the life of me, remember it. Anyway, my blogged explanation works, even if I’ve never heard of Nick Ward … ! :-D

5. HolyGhost says:

Ken: re 22d, your explanation doesn’t explain “most of” in the clue, but mine does …

6. Mike Laws says:

The correct parsing of 22 down is nothing to do with anybody called Nick Ward, but simply ROB (“nick” in the sense of “steal*) in THE WARDE(n), Trollope’s first Barchester novel.
    That’s how I read it in the first place, and how Lato intended it.

7. Mike Laws says:

Sorry about repeating HolyGhost’s point – it’s a bit late!

Who is/are the Nick Ward(s)? Should I have heard of him/them?

8. RayFolwell says:

A very ingenious and enjoyable puzzle, it would have been much harder without the indications of which were the thematic entries. Vera, Chuck and Dave was the first set that we spotted.

9. kenmac says:

Sorry all. Blame the Eyjafjallajokull volcano. I was supposed to have been away on Thursday/Friday but I had to go on Tuesday/Wednesday instead and I had to rush a bit on Monday night to finish the blog. Yes, ROB inside THE WARDE[n] is correct and that is how I saw it when I solved it – I just couldn’t remember in my volcano induce panic.