Everyman 3316

Posted by Arthur on April 25th, 2010

Arthur.

Pretty nice this week. 10ac I am not sure of the exact correct parsing (I have 2 options which both seem equally likely) but I’m sure someone will clarify. Also I think 6dn is pretty mean as the answer is a town which (according to Wikipedia) has a population of fewer than 2000 people and so not somewhere that everyone would necessarily have heard of (I know I hadn’t). It is clued as an anagram which is easy to spot but does mean that you can never work out the answer for sure from the wordplay and I must admit that I ended up googling a few possibilities until hitting on the right one. However, 17/20ac is lovely and there’s a pleasant triple definition in there too at 19dn.

1 GRAPESHOT - GRAPE’S + HOT
6 CHEAP - CHAP around E
9 EASY CHAIR – EASY + CHAIR (&lit I suppose)
10 INTRO – either N is an abbreviation for number is which case this is simply [N + TRIO]* or otherwise it is [N(umber) + TRIO]* and Start (or even Start of number) does double duty.
11 TEND - TEN + D
12 STEER CLEAR – STEER + CLEAR
13 CARRIAGE DOGS - DOGS after CARRIAGE
17/20 NOT FOR ALL THE TEA IN CHINA – INALOTATAFRENCHHOTELIN*. Resort meaning to sort again masquerades beautifully in the surface.
21 APSE - APE around S
23 EAGLE – (b)EAGLE
24 UNETHICAL – UNTILEACH*
25 AVERT – A + VET around R
26 EVERGREEN – EVER + GREEN
1 GHETTO – GOTTHE*
2 ABSENT - A + B + SENT
3 EACH - hidden (well, sort of) in schooltEACHer
4 HEARTBREAK HOUSE - HEART + [HOUSE after BREAK]
5 TURNED A BLIND EYE - dd with a slightly cd for the second one.
6 CRICCIETH – CRITICHE * around C
7 ENTREPOT – ROPE* in TENT*
8 PROGRESS - PR + OGRESS
14 ADORNMENT – [RN + MEN] in [A + DOT]
15 ANATHEMA – HATEAMAN*
16 STRANGLE – STRANGE around L
18 APACHE – PA in ACHE
19 BERLIN - triple definition
22 WHIG - H in WIG

Common crossword abbreviations this week:

daughter = D
Saint = S
black = B
rook = R
bishop = B
cold = C
pair = PR
Royal Navy = RN
first-rate = AI (looks like A1)
left = L
hot = H

9 Responses to “Everyman 3316”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thanks, Arthur, for the detailed blog.
    I fear, I can’t help you making a decision re 10ac (INTRO).
    But I prefer your second option (N[umber]+TRIO)*, while I would like to see the clue as a whole as the definition (a kind of &lit). But I’m not sure if that’s what Everyman meant. He will surely tell us at some point.

Just like you, I think the long anagram (17/20) was probably the best.
    Oh, and I thought 2d (ABSENT) was a nice one as well – smooth surface.
    [Didn't like the CARRIAGE DOGS, though - not cryptic enough]

2. Rishi says:

Re the clue 10a Start of number trio’s playing? (5) INTRO

This can be simply seen as (NTRIO)*, that is, anagram (‘playing’ as the AInd) of N (number) and TRIO. In which case, ‘start’ is the def.

However, this does not take into account the question mark at the end of the clue. So the revised anno is: Anagram (playing) of N (start of ‘number’) and TRIO. For definition we have to reread the clue as a whole.

Since ‘intro’ is the ‘start’ or the opening passage of any musical piece, not necessarily one that a trio is playing, the question mark gains added significance.

I have no doubt that this is the setter’s intention.

The use of words ‘number’, ‘trio’ and ‘playing’ in a clue for which the solution is a musical term is quite pleasing.

3. Davy says:

Thanks Arthur,

Another good puzzle from Everyman with many well-constructed clues.

Regarding 10a, I think the only explanation that makes sense is an anagram of N (abbrev of number) and TRIO.
    PLAYING is the anagrind leaving START as the definition. A clever clue nonetheless.

4. jack says:

Hi

Thanks for the above!

RE: 13ac CARRIAGE DOGS “More than one Dalmatian follows behind coach (8,4)”

The blog explanation is a bit lacking I think; and the clue is more cryptic than some might think.
    In the clue the definition is “more than one Dalmatian” – Dalmatians were originally bred to be carriage dogs (ie to follow/accompany horse drawn carriages) and to this day are still often referred to as ‘carriage dogs.” So a Dalmatian is a carriage dog and “more than one” gives the plural.
    The wordplay “follows behind coach” points to the word “dogs” which means “follows” being written after “carriage” which is a coach.

Quite a simple clue granted – but then as most Guardian solvers realise Everyman is somewhat easier than most Guardian crosswords – but usually very enjoyable on a Sunday morning.

Thanks all round!

5. nmsindy says:

I saw INTRO “Start of number trio’s playing?” as an anagram of start (ie first letter) of number and trio making an excellent &lit clue ie where the whole clue is the definition. I also agree with the explanation of CARRIAGE DOGS in comment #4.

6. Arthur says:

Thanks for the comments. so it seems we are no closer to knowing which of the two parsings of 10ac are the intended one.

Sorry jack if the explanation was unclear in 4ac. I think if I gave quite such detailed explanations as yours of every clue the blog would take me all day to write, but yes indeed that is definitely the correct parsing. I agree that the use of follows=dogs and then behind=follows is rather nice, but my slight complaint is that Dalmatian leads us pretty obviously to dog, so it is only once the answer is in place that we (or I did at any rate) go back and admire the relative intricacy of the clue.

7. Sil van den Hoek says:

Hi Arthur, no closer to the intended one in 10ac?
    I think it is 3-1 at the moment.
    3 from Rishi, nmsindy and me [all three thinking of the clue as a whole as the definition], 1 from Davy :(. [ :)]

8. Everyman says:

10A anag of n(umber) trio &lit

9. Sil van den Hoek says:

So, now it’s 4-1 and the game’s over.
    Thank you, Everyman, for the definitive explanation of this clue.
    And a nice one it was!!