Independent 7340 by Glowworm

Posted by NealH on April 26th, 2010

NealH.

A fairly easy start to the week with some neat clues and no obvious theme or NINA. 23 across was my pick of the clues, with a nice use of the Twitter phenomenon.

1 Puritan: Pun about Rita, a reference to the play and film Educating Rita.
5 Rebirth: (Bri[g]hter)*.
9 Andante: A (academy) n (new) Dante.
10 Dynamic: Hidden, reversed in “Medici many describe.
11 Archetype: (They caper)*.
12 Conga: Co + ng (no good) + a (= amateur).
13 Telegenic: (I elect)* around gen. Tube here refers to TV, although the term is becoming a bit obsolete since most TVs now don’t have cathode ray tubes.
16 Inane: Nan in [d]ie[t].
17 Carob: Ca[t] + rob. Manx cats don’t have tails, so this is a roundabout way of indicating the removal of the last letter.
19 Unlearned: Not entirely sure about this, but I think it must be a DD. “Not got up” = not got up to speed on something ?
22 Tamar: Tam (as in Tam O’Shanter) + a + r[ound].
23 Anxiously: An + x + IOU + sly.
26 Ranking: Rankin + g. Ref to Ian Rankin, author of the Inspector Rebus novels.
27 Liturgy: Lurgy around it.
28 Riviera: [Wa]r + IRA around vie.
29 Mantled: Man + T (T-square) + led (=headed).
1 Peasant: P[l]easant, although restrain as a removal rather than containment indicator seems a bit of a stretch.
2 Radical: Rada around i[dioti]c + l (= learner i.e. student).
3 Tinge: Hidden in “sprouting eucalyptus.
4 Needy: Hom of knee + d[odg]y.
5 Redpencil: (Led Prince)*.
6 Bone China: One chin in BA.
7 Romania: [Eu]ro[pe] + mania.
8 Hectare: He + c + tar + e[xpropriate].
14 Gaberdine: ER in beading*.
15 Neuralgia: Lauren* + gia[nt].
17 Caterer: Car around [s]tere[o]. Def is supplier.
18 Romanov: Man in roo[m] + v. Refers to the House of Romanov in Russia.
20 Nostril: Hidden, reversed in flirts only.
21 Dry Eyed: Not totally sure on this, but it looks like dry (=subtle) + regard(=eye) + Dutch(=D).
24 Xylem: X + Y + Elm*.
25 Often: [S]often.

16 Responses to “Independent 7340 by Glowworm”

1. Rishi says:

21d: I see no problem with your parsing.

19a: Yes, it is a DD, indeed. When we say that a person is up on a subject, we mean that they are well-versed on it. When a person ‘gets up’, he probably learns something quickly and for a particular occasion.

So

not got up = UNLEARNED = like a dunce

2. Simon Harris says:

Blimey, you chaps start early :)

Enjoyed this one, without it being too taxing for a fragile Monday morning. I also thought ANXIOUS to be especially good, and last in was MANTLED, where I didn’t quite grasp the T or the LED, but got it right anyway.

Helpful blog, Neal, thanks. Not too taxing, as Simon says; thought the SE corner was the hardest. Not convinced about 19ac: I can see that to have learned something about a subject is to be ‘up’ on it, but then the ‘got’ in the clue is redundant, surely? Also agree about ‘restrain’ in 1dn.

R for roundhead in 22ac is not an accepted abbreviation, but indicating that it’s the ‘head’ of ’round’ that’s required, I presume?

Good puzzle – especially liked ANXIOUSLY and TELEGENIC. You’re right about tubes, Neal – most TVs aren’t box-shaped any more either, but I don’t see any sign of ‘what’s on the box?’ disappearing from use!

4. Rishi says:

The Chambers dictionary has

get upto learn up for an occasion

Thanks, Rishi. You’re right, it’s tucked away in Collins as well, so a fair clue. Just not an expression I’ve ever heard of or used.

6. nmsindy says:

I too found the SE corner the hardest, rest of puzzle was quite easy, I thought. Favourite clues, ROMANIA and LITURGY.

7. flashling says:

Sailed through this in record time but still don’t really get 19 ac despite the replies above it just doesn’t work in my mind. Unusual to have a sub 10 minute solve since the days of Aelred.

8. Ian says:

Thanks Neal.

Unlike everyone else, I found this quite a challenge. Especially having sailed through the Rufus puzzle in today’s Guardian.

Onlt the NE corner was easy. The rest seemed to come very slowly, despite the fact that looking back at every single clue bar one was entirely fair (19ac).

Several really well written surfaces. I’d highlight ‘Telegenic’, Carob’, the superb ‘Caterer’ and ‘Anxiously’.

67′

9. nmsindy says:

Re flashling’s comment #7, GET UP is in Collins in that sense (heading 8). It was my last answer.

10. flashling says:

Re 19 ac I get “get up” in this sense, but the reverse not got up still doesn’t work for me. OK i don’t do dictionaries let alone 8th listing, I try to let my own brain solve things, sorry but my dad and the bloke who introduced me to cryptic crosswords called it cheating… 30 years later that still holds.

Anyway Eimi’s reply last week to me about this week being easier seems to have held up today.

On a totally different subject, why do the guardian’s puzzles get 4 times the comments or is it just 4 times as many people read it rather than the Indy?

11. Mike Laws says:

My ancient history teacher (in both senses) in the sixth form used to tell us to “get up” the notes we had taken before the next lesson.

I thought Gateshead-for-G style clues were resting in peace. Can’t they be left that way?

12. Rishi says:

A Tamil teacher, after a lesson, might advise his pupils in a colourful phrase. Rendered in English, it would be “load it into your head”.

13. nmsindy says:

Re comment #10 on dicts, the solver may decide not to use dicts, but the setter would have to, I guess.

I was just explaining that the use of GET UP in the clue was justified by that entry in Collins.

14. Glow-worm says:

Thanks for all your comments — much appreciated and valuable as ever.

It must be a generational thing (he said from the lofty heights of decade No 8 ) but I didn’t even check “get/got up” at first: it was a familiar turn of phrase to me — often used also when, as an amateur thespian, I had to learn or “get up” a part.

OK, Mike, point taken, but Antony Lewis’s splendid “Letter Indicators” in CCompiler are so tempting, and offer a bit of variety from “Rector”,”King” etc. I promise not to sin again — not for a week or two, anyway….

Kind regards

Glow-worm

15. Glow-worm says:

PS: Where did that emoticon spring from? I’d written “Number Eight”

GW

16. Gaufrid says:

Hi Glow-worm
    I had noticed and removed the emoticon, by adding a space between the 8 and the ), whilst you were typing your second comment. An 8 followed immediately by a ) is automatically translated by the site software into a 8) just as ; followed by ) becomes ;)