Independent 7,342/Dac

Posted by Ali on April 28th, 2010

Ali.

My first blog for what seems like quite a while, and what better way to get back on the horse than with a Dac. Wonderful clueing as always, 2D being my pick of the bunch (and last entry)

1 DIDACTIC – DID ACT + I/C
5 BLOWER – [-confa]B + LOWER
9 ADULT – A DUL[-l] T(ime)
10 SPEARMINT – SPEAR (asparagus) + BRILL (mint)
12 AUSTRIA – US in A TRI[-p] + A
13 PILATES – PI + LATE + S[-urvey]
14 THOUGHT PROCESS – THOUGH + (PT SCORES)*
18 BE FOUND WANTING – Cryptic def.
20 BAMBINO – BAMBI + NO
22 TRACTOR – ROT rev. on CARTrev.
24 DIRIGISTE – (RIGID TIES)*
25 CALVE – Hidden in loCAL VEt
26 SNAPPY – Double def.
27 ESCAPADE – AD in ESCAPE
1 DIAMANTE – ETNA MAID rev.
2 DRUGSTORE – D + RUGS + TORE
3 CATER – TE[-a] in CAR
4 INSTANTANEOUS – (SENSATION AUNT)*
6 LORD LUCAN – (UN COLLAR[[-e]D)*
7 WHIST – W + HIS + T[-ricks]
8 RETEST – TE[-rm] in REST
11 EXPERT WITNESS – PERT W(ith) IT in EX NESS
15 GROWING UP – WING in GROUP
16 SCINTILLA – “Sin Tiller”
17 AGGRIEVE -([-a]VERAGE GI)*
19 ABIDES – BA rev. + IDES
21 MARIA – AIR + AM rev.
23 ACCRA – Hidden in dipsomaniAC CRAves

5 Responses to “Independent 7,342/Dac”

Thanks, Ali. For me this was an excellent example of the setter losing graciously. For many, this was probably not the hardest puzzle ever; but everything fairly clued, lots of smiley moment and the more difficult solutions available with help from the crossing letters. And as always from Dac, some great surfaces which you only appreciate when you have a look back after you’ve finished and read them at face value.

Too many good clues to choose a favourite. Anyone else spend more time than they should have trying to get JOE into 17dn?

2. nmsindy says:

Yes, this was good, my favourites were DAIMANTE and ABIDE. In BE FOUND WANTING, there was an excellent cryptic definition but I think there was a straight definition too ie prove inadequate. And thanks for explaining SCINTILLA, I was looking for (a n girl say)* for quite a while, did get the answer, but did not see why till now.

Good that you’re back blogging again, Ali.

3. pat says:

TILLER (girls) may not be known to the Young Generation.

4. flashling says:

Well I thought scintilla the best clue, but a marvellous misdirect on 2d even if I did get it early on. OK then Pat maybe I’m older than I feel, did look for anag of girl say for a while…

Pat @ no 4: SCINTILLA came to me pretty quickly, so I must be of Betty Boothroyd’s generation or something. However, as an encouragement to setters, my Kathryn expressed a vague interest recently in what cryptics are all about, and has started to do the quick crosswords regularly in the Indy and Grauniad with her uni friends. So perhaps the Young Generation will become the Fifteensquared Generation in about two decades’ time.