Financial Times 13,362 by Mudd

Posted by Pete Maclean on April 29th, 2010

Pete Maclean.

Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of April 17
This puzzle strikes me as a mixed bag. Mudd comes up with a clever cryptic definition for LIE DETECTOR (4D) and a cute 25A, but I think that 10A and 14D are a bit weak.

1. SCRAMBLER – double definition
6. TOPIC – TOPI (headgear) + C (cold)
8. ROMANCE – ROMAN (Italian) + CE (church)
10. EMPEROR – cryptic definition, I suppose
11. BLUFF – double definition
12. EURIPIDES – I RUE (I regret) backwards + anagram of SPIED
14. LOT – L (left) + OT (where would you find him?)
15. SPEEDOMETER – anagram of MORE DEEP SET
17. SALMON TROUT – MON (day) + in SALT (marine compound) + ROUT (hiding)
19. HAW – homophone (“whore”)
20. SPEED TRAP – SPEED (drug) + TRAP (gin)
22. EMMET – hidden word
24. RAIMENT – AIM (point) in RENT (tear)
26. KOWLOON – OWL (hooter) in NOOK (recess) backwards
27. WAGER – WAG[n]ER (composer appears nameless)
28. CARETAKER – RETAKE (further test) in CAR (vehicle)

1. SCRUB – SC (viz) + RUB (polish). “sc” is an abbreviation for scilicet which means much the same as videlicet, abbreviated “viz”.
2. REMOUNT – [h]OME (‘ouse) backwards in RUNT (unwanted animal)
3. MANIFESTO – anagram of SOME FAINT
4. LIE DETECTOR – cryptic definition
5. ROE – homophone (“row”)
6. TOP UP – TO (to) + PUP (baby)
7. PERIDOT – DIRE (horrible) backwards in POT (kitty)
8. CORKSCREW – CORKS (Irish) + CREW (team)
13. RED HOT POKER – RED HOT (very sexy) + POKER (game)
14. LAST STRAW – cryptic definition (camel being an African transport)
16. MOTHER WIT – anagram of ITEM WORTH
18. LEERING – ERIN (Ireland) in LEG (member)
19. HEMLOCK – HEM (border) + LOCK (security)
21. DREAR – D (daughter) + REAR (bottom)
23. TUNER – homophone (“tuna”)
25. TIC – T[w]I[t]C[h]

8 Responses to “Financial Times 13,362 by Mudd”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thanks, Pete, for blogging this fine Mudd.
    Yes, I agree, some clues are not extremely good (like 14d), but one thing is for sure: you can’t hardly fault Mr Halpern on precision [as in his other disguises], while in the meantime there’s a good spread of devices.

Of course, there was a ‘bottom’ again, although it was hanging a bit loosely [in the clue, I mean :)]: “… when daughter bottom”.
    And another naughty one in 19ac (HAW) which was brilliantly constructed.
    Most other favourites this time were all charades [normally not my device #1]: ROMANCE (9ac), 8d (CORKSCREW) [which has to be read as CORK'S CREW = CREW from CORK (town in Ireland)] and one more RED-HOT POKER (13d) [clued in the best Mr H tradition].

Only one clue raised one or two eyebrows: 26ac (KOWLOON).
    The clue initially reads ‘Hooter breaks recess’ [OWL breaks NOOK, which leads to NOWLOOK or so], ‘then recalled’ [the word 'then' suggesting that at this point (áfter the insertion) the word should be reversed, which would give something strange like KOOLWON or so]. My point is that, strictly speaking, it doesn’t say: put OWL in the reversal of NOOK.

Apart from that, I think, the usual good quality [even though last Monday's Prize was clearly a(n even) better one].

2. mike04 says:

Thanks for the blog, Pete.

Well, TUNER as a homophone of TUNA raised an eyebrow here.
    HAW is certainly not a homophone of WHORE in this part of the UK and I wonder if this usage is fair in an international newspaper.

3. Sil van den Hoek says:

Mike04, yes, these homophones again …
    As a non-UK citizen I haven’t got the same pair of ears as ‘locals’ have.
    So, I mainly rely on resources when I’m really in doubt.
    For example, Antony Lewis’ WordWebPro.

It gives for TUNER: tyoonu(r) – so with an optional ‘r’ at the end
    And for TUNA: tyoonu.
    Which seems OK, I guess.

HAW and WHORE is a slightly different matter.
    HAW is given as ‘ho’ and WHORE as ‘hor’, which indeed is different.
    But then the programme also says for WHORE: ‘sounds like: haw,hoar’.
    Bit confusing.
    [but I still like the great construction/surface of the clue, maybe therefore I tend to be tolerant]

4. Ali says:

Out of interest, what was the clue for 4D? I recently wrote a CD clue for LIE DETECTOR involving grilling and whoppers. Has Mr. H had the same idea?!

5. Gaufrid says:

Hi Ali
    4dn Invention finding invention? (3,8)

6. mike04 says:

Hello Sil

Thanks very much for your comments. Unfortunately, some homophones in English are quite area-specific
    (and other factors come into play).

7. mike04 says:

Hello again, Sil

See the comment after yours in Guardian 24,996. Well said, Neil!

8. Sil van den Hoek says:

Mike, I am the last (and [because of my background] the least appropriate) to have clear opinions on homophones. So, please, don’t shoot at me.

When I solve a crossword and there’s a homophone involved, and when there’s any doubt, I normally ask my British Partner-in-Crime (= PinC) what she thinks about it.
    And when that doesn’t lead to a (for me) satisfactory answer, I’ll turn to various resources, not bothering too much about it.

That said, I admit if I would be a setter, I’d like the homophones to be indisputable, but as a solver I’m not thát precise [shame on me - it's just not my favourite kind of device], even though I know I shóuld be bothered.
    And as a result, the [in my opinion, splendid] construction of 19ac overrules the [perhaps dubious] homophone device.

So, I don’t want to argue about it with you.
    I believe what you say for 100%, but for me it didn’t stand in the way of enjoying the clues [but again, that's only because I don't have British Ears].