Independent 7,353 by Radian

Posted by Simon Harris on May 11th, 2010

Simon Harris.

It feels like a while since I tackled, let alone blogged, a Radian. This was characteristically inventive and good fun. For me the top half seemed toughest, though spotting the Nina in the perimeter squares was a big help. The mini-theme is confirmed by 7/18, though as it’s a subject I know nothing about, it’s quite possible I’ve missed other references.

6 EXTRAORDINARY – EXTRA + ORDINARY. I had to look it up, but apparently an “ordinary” is one of a class of armorial charges, figures of simple or geometrical form, conventional in character.
9 WRASSE – [free]S[tyle] in WEARS*.
10 BIEN ETREENE in TRIBE*.
11 EYE TO EYEhom. of “aye” + OT< + EYE. Kathryn’s Dad explains this much better in the comments.
13 ARCANA – [particul]AR CANA[dians].
15 CLUMSY – LUMS in C[romart]Y. A new word for me here, LUM meaning “chimney”.
17 SPARKS – an abbreviation of “South Park’s”.
19 SNIPER – P[ot-shots] in REINS<.
20 REISSUES – SUSIE* in RES.
23 THRONGED – (THE GRO[u]ND)*.
25 SPLINT – “sprint” as it might perhaps be pronounced by a Chinese person.
27 ARCHITECTONIC – (I in TECHNOCRAT*) + IC.
1 NEARLYN + EARLY.
2 OTIS – dd. Otis are the “lift firm”, and Miss Otis Regrets is the Cole Porter song, or “air”.
3 RACEME – RACE + M[ostly] E[nglish].
4 TIME WARPWA in PERMIT*.
5 HARE – [marc]H + ERA<.
7/18 RUBBER BRIDGE – RUBBER + (G in BRIDE).
8 Y-FRONTSN in FROSTY*.
12/14 TRUMP CARDS – Donald TRUMP + CARDS.
15 CYNTHIA – CY[rus] + (A THIN)*.
16 SERAGLIO – ALGIERS* + 0.
21 IN SITU – I + (UNIT’S)*.
22 EUNUCHNUC in HUE<.
24 ORCS – OR + C[etacean]S.
26 LENT – [ta]LENT.

11 Responses to “Independent 7,353 by Radian”

1. scarpia says:

Thanks Simon.
    Did this in the early hours and was unsure of 25 across.Became clear on a second look in the clear light of day.Is this sort of clue acceptable in these politically correct times?
    The other obvious thematic entry is 12/14;there could be more but I’m more of a poker man myself!
    An enjoyable puzzle all in all.Favourite clue – 8 down,a well disguised anagram.

Thank you, Simon. Glad someone else found the top half hard – didn’t think I’d manage it but got there in the end apart from SPARKS, where I didn’t know the definition. Several clues needed explaining, though.

The surface in 5dn to clue HARE is exceptional, imho. ARCANA came up in yesterday’s Punk – for such an obscure word, how spooky is that? In 11ac, I took the ‘sailor’s ok’ to be Aye Aye, as in ‘Aye Aye, Cap’n’

What a super puzzle. Did I spot the nina? What do you think?

If LUM is new to you, Simon, you must come from south of Watford …

Thanks again for a helpful blog.

3. Simon Harris says:

You’re right, KD. I took “see” to denote the final EYE, but on another look, it’s clearly part of the def.

Whether I come from South of Watford could fill a small blog post in itself – the jury’s still out on that one ;)

4. pat says:

3 D RACEME

Never heard of this. But no problems with the rest of the puzzle.

5. draig says:

can’t believe they have an answer which has mildy racist overtones 25ac

6. eimi says:

I was a bit concerned that people might be offended by 25 Across, so I sought some expert opinions. It is known that the Chinese phonemic system means L and R appear the same, but I don’t think it’s a racist observation, any more than clues based on Cockney, or even Sean Connery’s or Jonathan Ross’s, pronunciatons. Nevertheless, I’m sorry if any solvers were offended.

7. nmsindy says:

Pleasing puzzle, which I completed fairly quickly once I’d seen the perimeter entries. Only later thought of the bridge connection, I think there’s a bit of an overlap being the crossword and bridge worlds, though I’ve never played the game myself and know virtually nothing about it.

Draig @ no 5: I understand your comment, but it’s a fine line sometimes between inventive wordplay and giving offence, I suppose. Personally I’m okay with this type of clue. We recently had somewhere ‘at for the cockney pronunciation of ‘hat’, which for me falls into the same category.

And there’s also been discussion about use of native American tribe names as clueing devices, as well as ‘eskimo’. And ‘Ian’ for Scotsman?

Who’d be a setter/editor? Me, I’m happy to be a humble solver.

9. Paul B says:

I riked it.

10. scarpia says:

Eimi
    I wasn’t offended,just being poltically collect.

11. Mike Laws says:

I think “politically correct” is an oxymoron.