Independent 7354 by Dac

Posted by nmsindy on May 12th, 2010

nmsindy.

Usual good puzzle from Dac, this one I found extremely easy, solving time, 12 mins.

* = anagram

ACROSS

1 SPARTA    SPAR(fight) TA(volunteers)   City in ancient Greece

8 FLETCHER    Double definition.    This would have taken me ages in earlier times, but I have learnt from doing crosswords for quite a bit that a fletcher is a person who makes arrows and that Fletcher Christian is the main character in ‘Mutiny on the Bounty’.

9 HOOP   O (nothing) in HOP (dance)    This was my last entry.

10 UNTRAINED     (United ran)*       Hope Sir Alex Ferguson is not tackling this puzzle, after Man United’s late season disappointments…

11 COMPLETE     L (line) in COMPETE      ‘Finished’ is an adj here.

13 THEORY    HE (His or Her Excellency = Ambassador) in TORY (right-wing)

14 WET ONE’S WHISTLE     have a drink (informal)   (loth sweet wines)*

16 COUNTERBALANCE      Definition: offset     COUNTER BALANCE   bank statement given to you at the counter by the teller

18 RANGER    RAN (organised)   GER (Germany)

20 ROTHESAY      THE SA in ROY

21 IN TROUBLE    INT (international)   ROUBLE (currency)

22 PIKE     Hidden reversal  in somE KIPpers

23 TRESPASS    TRES (very in French)  PASS(é) – outdated, mostly

24 SQUARE    Double definition    Not in = unfashionable

DOWN

2 PROVOKE     Seamless divide at ‘Get to /top of plateau’     Plateau and OK in ROVE.    Definition: get to.    My favourite clue today.

3 RAP    par (standard) reversed

4 AMUSEMENT     (men’s team u)*   u = initially unprepared (first letter)

5 FITTED WARDROBES    (Waterford bedsit)*     A big help to get this on first run through, seeing wardrobes might be in it.

6 EXACT     (AXE) reversed  C (cold) T (first letter of turkey)

7 CONCENTRATE   (act on recent)*

8 ENDORSE     END (back) ‘ORSE    Definition:  OK (vb)

12 PROMULGATES     PROM UnusuaL  GATES

15 INAPTNESS     NAP in IT   NESS (head)

16 CRAZIER   CRIER around AZ (extremists literally ie first and last letters of the alphabet)

17 CRACKER   Double definition.   Christmas cracker and a TV series I vaguely remembered the title of – Wikipedia tells me it’s a crime series from the 1990s.

19 RIOJA   RIO (port) JA(r)

22 PAU    A in UP reversed

9 Responses to “Independent 7354 by Dac”

1. beermagnet says:

Looks like he made it a Pangram this time.

I wouldn’t say I found it extremely easy, but as usual from Dac, clearly clued and gettable with some perseverance.

8dn was the smiley moment and 18ac was an elegant surface. Just a couple of queries if someone could help – if in 15dn the definition is ‘ill-fitting’ (an adjective), how can the answer be INAPTNESS (a noun)? And in 6dn, how is EXACT a synonym for ‘nice’?

Thanks for blogging, nms.

3. nmsindy says:

I think the sense is EXACT = precise = nice. Did not notice the pangram, must start looking for them.

4. nmsindy says:

In INAPTNESS, the ‘It’ indicates the noun, I think.

5. walruss says:

I think nice can actually mean exact. Great puzzle today from Dac.

6. Ian says:

Thanks nms.

Caffeine at the ready but found it a relative doddle. About the same degree od difficulty as this mornings Arachne in the Ugnadiar.

Like K’s D I baulked at Nice/Exact but there it is in Chambers. ‘Done with care and exactness’

That apart, Dac is always reliable. So it was here.

26′

7. Ian says:

Thanks nms.

Caffeine at the ready but found it a relative doddle. About the same degree of difficulty as this mornings Arachne in the Ugnadiar.

That apart, Dac is always reliable. So it was here.

26′

Thanks all – Collins doesn’t have that definition, but has ‘precise’ as nms indicated. It’s a nice fit = it’s an exact/precise fit.

9. flashling says:

Yup a quick solve except trespass for some reason. Expected there to a nina not a pangram although with q j and z I should have seen that. Anyway thanks Dac.