Independent 7355/Anax

Posted by John on May 13th, 2010

John.

To say that my heart sank when I saw that I had to blog one of Anax’s crosswords wouldn’t have been quite accurate: the knowledge that I was in for a tough solve was tempered by the fact that it would be very enjoyable. As expected, there are many outstanding clues here, but also two that I don’t understand, and one or two that seem to be a bit odd, but they’re probably not odd really and just need to be explained properly.

1 FACET OF ACE
6 ADIT — but who knows why? Is it something to do with the French term ‘a dit’?
10 SU({prisone}R RE)NDER
11 HO S{h}E {w}A{s} — I never knew about all this — the only thing Hosea reminds me of was in a Scripture lesson at school and when the teacher said at the start of the lesson ”Right. Hosea” someone replied “I am, sir”
12 PATE DE FOIE GRAS — (of dips eager)* around ate — one of several excellent &lits in this crossword
14 EATING — but again who knows why? I’m completely lost here: my initial thought that something was ‘chairing’ (i.e. containing) ‘at’ seems to be barking up the wrong tree
15 SILENCER — (1 l{oudness}) in (screen)* — another excellent &lit., although I wasn’t sure why “screen” was in inverted commas
17 CHEPSTOW — (pets)* in chow
19 S(MOCK)S
22 LOSE ONE’S TONGUE — l (ego’s unseen too)*
24 THIN G — ‘not my thing’ … ‘not my cup of tea’
25 DUN C{ream} ESCAP{e} — excellent def ‘topping of thick’
26 REEF — I think this is r (= take) (fee)rev., but instruction?…
27 METH USE LA H — crystal meth

1 F US S
2 CAR (MART HENS) HIRE
3 THE REIN — I’m not sure how to describe this clue: the whole thing gives ‘the rein’ and the last two words are I think the definition
4 FIDGET — (id (eg)rev.) in FT
5 C(AR B)OLIC
7 DISTRICT COUNCIL — 1′s in (critic couldn’t)*
8 TRANSGRESS — (strangers)* s{mile}
9 CHEESE — refers to ‘hard cheese’ and also to the fact that people say ‘say cheese’ when taking a photograph
13 PERCOLATOR — per “collater”
16 BONE IDLE — (I’d be)* around on, l{if}e
18 SLOUGH — I was pretty sure this referred to the Betjeman poem, and sure enough, here it is in all its glory
20 M(ON KEY)S — as in ‘couldn’t give a monkey’s’
21 STENCH — (net)rev. in sch
23 StOP A Hook — had never heard of it, but it had to be

24 Responses to “Independent 7355/Anax”

1. Gaufrid says:

Hi John
    I think 6ac is AD[m]IT – allow entry without (‘or not’) M[iners]
    14ac is [s]EATING (defaced chairs)

2. IanN14 says:

Thanks John,
    There is in fact a nina (NW to SE)
    Otherwise known as those 9d. 14ac. 10ac. 20d. …

3. pat says:

20d

Don’t understand this at all. I see MS=writing, but on keys?

4. IanN14 says:

pat,
    ON + KEY (table, as in a diagram) “penned” by MS (writing)

5. Merlyn says:

I shall look out for Anax to avoid. I got one and a half (Transgress and …shire – couldn’t think which one). I had some of the theory of some of the others, but gave up trying to finish

6. nmsindy says:

Found this a little easier than some Indy puzzles by Anax, some very inventive clues, my favourites were EATING, THING and METHUSELAH. Very enjoyable puzzle.

7. Peter Biddlecombe says:

Merlyn: it’s worth persevering with Anax puzzles. He’s difficult, but I can think of a few others who can be equally tough when they want to be. He strives to make clues original, so seeing something routine like “on board ship” for “inside SS” (19A) is quite a surprise.

At 26A, “recipe” as used in, er recipes, is indeed an “instruction to take” – a more helpful definition unless barred-grid puzzle experience leads to a Pavlovian “take => R” response.

8. pat says:

IanN14… still don’t get what this means. I cannot see KEY=TABLE under any circumstances. Also, I don’t approve of ON appearing as blatantly in both clue and answer.

9. nmsindy says:

Pat, I think part of the trickery is that words can sometimes appear as themselves ie in both clue and answer.

10. Peter Biddlecombe says:

Pat: “key” is potentially confusing because the kind of key Anax means is often a guide to the content of a table. But if you do a Google image search for [map key], it’s hard to argue against these keys being tables themselves.

I don’t understand the objection to “on” – this is done by many setters with “a” in particular – why should any other word not be treated in the same way?

11. anax says:

Many thanks for your kind comments, friends.

On “ON” – yes, this was a deliberate give-away (there are two other clues with the same “device”). Despite trying to keep things fairly easy I was aware this turned into quite a tough one, so the gimmes were intended to open up otherwise challenging bits of the grid.

@ IanN14. Blimey mate – I’d hoped it wouldn’t be that easy to spot!

12. walruss says:

I share the blogger’s view, that this was a little bit odd in parts. Some good clues.

13. Prolixic says:

I don’t usually do the Independent but Anax tipped me the wink that there are one or two contributions to the entente cordiale hidden away in the crossword both in the answers and across one of the diagonals so dived into this one with gusto and found it highly enjoyable!

14. flashling says:

Tricky but gettable, looked for the nina and missed it. Thought defaced was very good, made me smile.

15. Bazza says:

Enjoyable but tough in places. I seem to recall mentioning the NINA on another ‘blog and Anax swearing that one day he would do it (but perhaps I shouldn’t mention such self regarding nonsense!). Thanks for the ‘heads up’ Prolixic and hats off to Anax for 12a if not more.

16. Ali says:

Great stuff as always from Anax.

I hope that the decision to move the puzzle down the right hand side of the inside back page of the paper ain’t permanent. There’s no easy way of folding it!

17. scarpia says:

Thanks John.
    Tough,but very enjoyable.Too many excellent clues to pick favourites.11 across was quite gettable without completely knowing the Biblical reference.I read 3 down as, if something is held it could be described as being therein.

Bonsoir

Got about half of the puzzle this morning and had to give in – this was a toughie! Haven’t been able to get to the blog before now (earning a living rather than faffing about on 225 has been priority today). But of the ones I solved, there were some clues I enjoyed (LOSE ONES TONGUE and METHUSALAH).

So my contribution today will be to expose the nina for all those lurkers who are too shy to ask, and which no-one has explicitly spelled out, although IanN14 has given you the elements you need.

FRENCH = CHEESE EATING SURRENDER MONKEYS

Simpsons fans, where are you now your country needs you? Gordon Brown, where are you now … no, perhaps not.

And if we had some tutting earlier in the week about clues based on Chinese phonemics, then are the French easy game all of a sudden?

I think we should be told.

Good puzzle, anax, and thank you for blogging, John.

19. scarpia says:

K’s D
    As an outsider I would think it highly unlikely that Simpsons fans could be of any use to Great Britain! :)
    And as for the French – have you forgotten 1066? :)

Since you mention it, scarpia, I’m grateful for 1066 for two reasons. Firstly I make a living out of teaching French to big people; secondly, the influence of French on the English tongue for the subsequent three centuries or so means we have an incredibly rich language which provides plenty of ammunition for anax and his colleagues. Without that, we’d now be speaking something closer to Dutch. Which wouldn’t be as much fun for cryptic crosswords! So I think I’ll start a petition at no 10 for a posthumous pardon for William the Conqueror. Smiley Dave’s not got much else to occupy him at the moment, has he?

21. scarpia says:

Kathryn’s Dad.
    I’ll be the first to sign.I am from the’Norman Isles’(a local,not a tax dodger) and our true language(Guernésiais) is a version of Norman French.I must confess,to my shame,that the only words/phrases that I know are obscenities!

22. scarpia says:

À la perchoine – don’t worry Gaufrid this is not an obscenity!

23. Paul B says:

Not that long between 888, when the Norse hit the regions surrounding Neustria, 931, when they took Neustria itself, and 1066 when they crossed the Channel to rout the (extremely knackered) Anglo-Saxon army at Hastings. Were they all that French?

I think you’ll also find that Slough gets a rough time prior to 1937, at about 1678 when the lout Bunyan has a go. If you don’t mind your entendres doubled, that is.

Bons appetits.

24. eimi says:

Thanks for the link to David Brent reading Betjeman (re 18D), John. Poetry analysis was never like that at school.