Independent 7,356/Phi

Posted by Ali on May 14th, 2010

Ali.

I made a strong start to this one, but came very unstuck on the top half and had to resort to help on a few words and phrases that are new to me. This definitely felt tougher than usual for Phi and I’ve a few gaps in some wordplay. Great clueing as ever though.

1 BRAISE – 1 + S[-ugar] in BRIE
4/10 CHARTRES CATHEDRAL – (CHARRED ALTAR + CHEST)*
11 CUPPA – C[-ompany's] + UP + P.A
12 FLETTON – F(rance) + LET + TON (as in ‘a ton of bricks’)
13/14 FESTINA LENTE – FEST IN A LENT E[-xcess]
15 TURNCOAT – I think this has something to do with turning TA (thanks) and OC (Officer in Command), but not sure
18 PENTACLE – PEN with C(ollege) in TALE
20/23 APPLE STRUDEL – (ALTERED PULP’S)*
25 TILLAGE – ILL in TAGE
26 HELLO – HE’LL 0
27/28 ELECTORAL REGISTER – Cryptic def.
29 ANNECY – N EC swamped by ANY
1 BACKFILL – BACK + F[-ail] on ILL
2 ACTAEON – A EON after ACT
3 SWEETMEAT – ET + ME in SWEAT
5 HELL FOR LEATHER – Presume this is HE L for ‘he left’, but I’m not sure where the alphabet book comes in!
6 ROCKS – [-f]ROCKS
7 REPLICA – REP + C[-heap] in AIL rev.
8 SEAWAY – No idea on this one – “Exiled, leaving Darwin area – marine route?”
9 TRINITY COLLEGE – L in (ELECTING TORY I)*
16 CHARLATAN – CHART AN taking LA
17 BEVERLEY – EVER on LEY on B[-radford]
19 EARPLUG – PL. in EA. RUG
21 PRAIRIE – PR. + AIR[-dr.]RIE
22 ESCHER – (CHEERS)*
24 DROSS – DR. + [-l]OSS

14 Responses to “Independent 7,356/Phi”

1. Rishi says:

5dn: HE + L + L FOR LEATHER “L for Leather” may be a page in an alphabet book where one page is devoted for each leter of the alphabet.

Thanks, Ali.

I can help with 8dn, but neither of your other queries. It’s SENT AWAY less NT for Northern Territories, where Darwin (in Australia) is found.

I enjoyed this, as usual with a puzzle from Phi. I was happy to get PENTACLE and FLETTON from the wordplay and then having to check the answers, but I had to resort to on-line aid to get FESTINA LENTE, which might just be a bit obscure for your average Joe Solver’s taste.

But some reasonably solver-friendly clues to get you into the main part of the crossword, so for me an enjoyable crossword after yesterday’s harder one from anax.

3. nmsindy says:

I think you are right about 15 ie TURN TA and OC. Found this easy enough but did not understand SEAWAY for a while and HELL FOR LEATHER until Rishi explained.

Rishi, that’s a good call for 5dn – and a clever clue now you’ve explained it.

5. Rishi says:

15dn: RENEGADE is TURNCOAT.
    Split it, it becomes “TURN COAT”.
    If you obey this instruction you get TA OC – which is “thanks senior officer”!

6. sidey says:

I liked this. Turncoat was one of those unfortunate clues that is gettable from the definition and then requires working backwards.

7. flashling says:

Finished it from the wordplay but not being a great classicist, hey I’m a maths gradute who couldn’t do Latin at my local comp have never come across festina lente before or heard of actaeon so filled it with guesses. Nice to see my guesses were right though! dunno why everyone says Anax was difficult yesterday, horses for courses I suppose.

8. flashling says:

graduate even who can’t type.

9. Lopakhin says:

Oar cant spel?

10. scarpia says:

Thanks Ali,
    Got off to a flying start but some of the longer answers slowed me down somewhat.
    Thanks Rishi and Kathryn’s Dad for the parsing of 5 and 8 down.Hadn’t been able to work those out, although the solutions were gettable from the definitions and check letters.Had to look up festina lente but I enjoy learning new Latin phrases and ‘make haste slowly’ is a great concept.
    Another very pleasing puzzle from Phi.

11. flashling says:

Lopakhin, no need for that /joke Still it was a fun fill as it were

12. Mike Laws says:

“L for leather” is from the Cockney alphabet, which normally starts “A for ‘orses” “B for mutton” “C for yourself” …

It has many variants (easily googlable) but L is one of the most consistent. My favourite is “Y for runts”.

13. TRIALNERROR says:

Um, how about a link thus:
    for those who didn’t have a classical education and might be wondering where the dogs came in. Nice picture too.

14. Derrick Knight says:

Might be a bit late to join in this thread. But good to see so many new names. flashling might be interested to know that I went to a Jesuit Grammar School where I was chucked out of the Latin class but top in French. It wasn’t until I was in my forties that I realised the reason for my lack of understanding of Latin, which we began in the first year, was that I had managed to pass the eleven plus with absolutely no understanding of English grammar and therefore completely mystified by essential grammatical terms like subjunctive and stuff. It was, incidentally, the surprise of my life when I got O level maths!