Sloggers and Betters 6

Posted by Admin on May 18th, 2010

Admin.

The next “Sloggers and Betters” gathering for crossword setters and blog contributors and readers will take place in London next Thursday, 27th May, following on from the annual lunch for Times setters.

It starts in the Lord Moon of the Mall (in Whitehall, despite the name) at 5pm though it is posible that the Times setters will be there from something like 3:30. For those who want some supper, a table is booked at Boyd’s Brasserie in Northumberland Avenue at 8pm.

If you would like to have the supper, please let Peter Biddlecombe know as soon as possible so that he can confirm numbers. His email address is: peter{at}biddlecombe{dot}demon{dot}co{dot}uk

More information including a map for the pub and sample menus for the restaurant can be found at:

20 Responses to “Sloggers and Betters 6”

1. Mick H (Morph) says:

As a slogger turned better (surely worse? Ed) I’ll certainly be there, and hope to see you all.

2. nmsindy says:

I hope to be there also, all being well.

3. Handel says:

Yup, we hope to be there too.

4. Bannsider says:

I’ll be there probably UNTIL 5

5. mhl says:

I’d love to come, but since it’s a Thursday and only a week away it’s rather difficult to arrange to get back to the UK for it :(

6. John H says:

Absolutely no chance of my not attending. Better count my significant other in, too.

7. walruss says:

I shall try too!

8. anax says:

Me too; it’s a little unfortunate, though, that the Times setters doing the lunch thingy can’t have their significant others attending that, which makes it a bit of a nightmare trying to meet them for S&B later.

9. Mike Laws says:

I’ll be there – mustn’t forget to bring a beermat!

10. Uncle Yap says:

Alas, I won’t be in the UK until Sept/Oct.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the last gathering that Peter B was kind enough to organise.

11. jetdoc says:

I will be joining you a little later, as (weather permitting) I’ll be at Lord’s for the first day of the test against Bangladesh.

12. Mister Sting says:

Is there a campanologist in the house?
    I shall be there – with bells on.

Lady Sting is most upset that academic endeavour prevents her from attending.

13. Rishi says:

For me, distance will lend enchantment to the view.

Rishi
    in Madras that is Chennai, India

14. beermagnet says:

I’ll be there – mustn’t forget to bring a beermag.
    (hang on – that’s me)

15. Paul B says:

“Distance will lend enchantment to the view”.

Rishi, are you into Yes by any chance? Or (better) Virtual Jon?

16. flashling says:

The blurb does say readers so are those of us new to the site going to be welcome? Would be nice to meet some of the tormentors face to face. Only interested in a beer in the bar and chat, not the meal.

17. Peter Biddlecombe says:

Yes, you are welcome.

18. flashling says:

Thanks Peter, as I’m no longer searching for for a job (woohoo!) I’ll pop in and lurk like I do here. I’ll be the one doing the crossword so I should stand out as everyone else will have completed it.

Hope they do decent beer, see you Thursday

Phil

19. bridgesong says:

As I shan’t be able to make the Azed dinner in September, and as I happen to be in London that day for work, I’ll try and make the pub. I’ll be the one carrying a laptop.

20. Mike Laws says:

This reminds me of talking to Val Gilbert (former Telegraph crossword editor) on the phone when I was organising a crossword do at the Coal Hole, just up the Strand.

Me: “I’m the one with the long hair.”
    She: “I’ll be the fat one.”

See you all in the Lord Moon.