Financial Times 13,397 / Bradman

Posted by shuchi on May 28th, 2010

shuchi.

Bradman gives us his trademark &lit clues for the long slots and general solid clueing all round. There are some superbly smooth clue surfaces, as in 20A and 9D. A very enjoyable solve.

1 WILDLIFE file perhaps => wild ‘life’, a reverse anagram.
5 ARMADA A ADA (a girl) around RM (jolly types). ‘Jolly’ is slang for a Royal Marine.
10 CIVIC CIC (Commander in Chief) around VI (six). The definition is “city’s”, and not “city” as one might assume at first.
11 RULING OUT GOUT (complaint) after RU (game, short for Rugby Union) L (lost, from the abbreviation in rugby) IN (at home)
12 ERRONEOUS (ONE SOURER)*
13 APRON A PRON[g] (short tip)
14 MOSSAD MOSS (top model, Kate Moss) AD (commercial). Mossad is the Israeli intelligence service.
15 TRIBADE A D (daughter) in TRIBE (clan)
18 POLEMIC (ME)< (this person, about) in POLIC[e] (coppers, stopping short)
20 BIGWIG BIG (huge) WIG (rug, slang for wig)
22 LUPIN [b]LU[e] [s]PIN[e]
24 POWER BASE dd
25 GREAT AUNT (RAGE)* TAUNT (torment)
26 SWILL SILL[y] (endlessly stupid) around W (one ‘weak’?). Not sure of the ‘W’.
27 ASSURE ASS (animal) URE (river)
28 CHESTNUT CHEST (case) NUT (National Union of Teachers). A ‘chestnut’ is a joke, usually a tired old one.

1 WICKET WET (damp) around ‘ICK (ex-England ‘itter, refers to Graeme Hick). For newbies: a letter dropped in the clue means that the same should be done in the answer.
2 LIVERPOOL LIVER (organ) POOL (fund). Wikipedia tells me Liverpool is home to two enormous cathedrals, the Anglican Cathedral and the Roman Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral.
3 LOCH NESS MONSTER (LONE SCOTSMEN HRS)* &lit. A reference to the many searches for the monster undertaken by Scotsmen.
4 FOR GOOD dd
6 RING A RING O’ ROSES (SONG OR AIR SINGER)* &lit. A nursery rhyme in which the kids link hands, sing and dance (and then fall down).
7 AMOUR A MOUR[n] (regret that doesn’t end)
8 ATTENDEE AT TEN (in the [British] PM’s residence, i.e. 10, Downing Street) DEEP (cunning) – P (quiet)
9 CLOSET CLOSE (chummy) T (leader of ‘Tory’)
16 ANIMATION I’M in A NATION (country)
17 APOLOGIA A POLO (game) GI (soldier) A
19 COPOUT CO (company) POUT (sulk)
20 BEWITCH BITCH (nasty woman) around EW (partners at table, in the game of bridge)
21 PELLET ELLE (the French female) in PT (empty ‘PiT’)
23 PRESS EMPRESS (member of royal family) – EM (a prefix meaning ‘inclusive’) // Andrew @ comment#1 suggests it is PRINCESS – INC.

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,397 / Bradman”

1. Andrew says:

Thanks for the blog suchi. I originally thought the same as you about 23dn, but I think it’s actually PRINCESS less INC.

2. Rishi says:

The parsing for 17d becomes complete with a final A. Thus: A POLO GI A

3. Steve says:

Thanks Shuchi. When I first saw 14a, my initial thought was that the parsing was M(odel)+ OSS (Office of Strategic Services, predecessor to CIA) + AD. That didn’t quite work but I thought it was interesting.

4. Scarpia says:

Thanks Shuchi.
    A quite straightforward puzzle,fairly clued as always.I was held up by 19 down,having always considered ‘cop out’ to be 2 words(or at least hyphenated).I even trawled through Chambers entry for colour (co + lour)
    but,unsurprisingly,couldn’t match it to the definition!

5. Rishi says:

Scarpia
    You’re absolutely right!
    19d: The def “Turn one’s back” suggests that the answer required is a v. and so the enumeration must have been (3,3). If hyphenated, COP-OUT would be a noun, I think. Not sure if it is ever a one word.
    BTW, the present tendency to discard hyphens is something I have not really understood.

6. shuchi says:

Thanks for your comments. I’ve made updates to 17D and 23D.

While solving I didn’t pause to think of the enumeration of 19D, being used to seeing the word spelt as ‘copout’. I checked Chambers now and was surprised to discover that it’s only listed as ‘cop-out’ (noun). Agree that as a verb, it must be (3,3).