Independent 7,368/Phi

Posted by Ali on May 28th, 2010

Ali.

Good stuff as ever from Phi, and we have a pangram to boot. I was frustratingly defeated by the final two clues though!

7 BELLOC – (Alexander Graham) BELL + CO> rev.
9 OVERLOUD – U(niversity) in OVERLO[-r]D
10 FLIT – FLI[-r]T
11 DOLLY BIRDS – (BODY DRILLS)*
12 SLALOMED – ([g]OL[d] MEDALS)*
15 NOGGIN – which, if half-hearted, would be NO GIN
16 MAGNA CUM LAUDE – MAG + C(ollege) in (ALUMNA DUE)*
16 STREAK – RE: in STAK[-e]
18 DIGITISE – DIG 1 + S in TIE
20 STANDPOINT – STAND (where you’ll find cab) + POINT (train)
21 EXAM – X[-i] in [-t]EAM
23 LOVE NEST – LO + (EVENTS)*
25 RASHER – A SHE in RR (recipes)
1 ZEAL – ZE[-st] + AL[-l]<
2 ACADEMIA – A C.A + AIMED rev.
3 JOWL – J(udge) + OWL
4 KENYAN – KEN + NAY rev.
5 FLYING BUTTRESS – (GUSTS IN BELFY + T)*
6 QUADRICEPS – [-s]QUAD + (PRICES)*
8 LITTLE GREEN MEN – (LET RING ELEMENT)*
13 LIMITATION – L(ine) + IMITATION
14 DRUID – DR. + [-q]UID
17 LIGATURE – A in (GUILT)* + RE:
19 KEPLER – L[-ens] in KEEPER dropping [telescop]E
22 IOTA – Not sure on this one – “One letter – or nine on reflection”
24 AWED – A + DEW rev.

7 Responses to “Independent 7,368/Phi”

1. IanN14 says:

Ali,
    22d. “a” to “i” (9 letters) reversed.
    After doing most of the top half, I thought this was going to be a pangram where each letter was an initial, especially as there were 26 clues, and a grid where no letter had to be used twice…

But no.

2. NealH says:

Like most of the puzzles this week I struggled to get the last few, but it was quite satisfying when I did eventually get them. I thought noggin was very good.

Thanks Ali, and to Ian for explaining IOTA, which I stuck in without understanding it. Wasn’t keen on Phi’s Dickens-themed puzzle last Friday, but this one entertained me well.

Slight smirk at the clue for LOVE NEST and liked EXAM for its clever surface – I suppose that short words are sometimes harder to clue cleverly than long ones because there’s less to work with, but listen, what do I know about setting clues? I just enjoy tackling them, and I enjoyed these today.

Ali, I think you’ve put two 16 acrosses which has jumbled up the clue numbers for the remainder.

4. Scarpia says:

Thanks Ali.
    As usual,an excellent puzzle from Phi.Some nice anagrams,particularly 5 down and the very 60′s 11 down.
    Also featured Hilaire,the most famous member of the Bellocs an often mispronounced family!

5. flashling says:

Found this strangely easy (despite the latin phrase) and breezed through Saturday’s as well. Iota was a twist on the well known clue for atom.

6. Merlyn says:

I’m rather chuffed that this is is first Indie crossword I have completed without reference works! (even though I did not understand all of the clues).

Re: Pangrams – do they have to only use each letter of the alphabet in the initial letters? I only ask because the whole grid does have all 26.

7. nmsindy says:

A pangram in a crossword is when each of the 26 letters of the alphabet appears in the completed grid.