Everyman No. 3321 (23rd May)

Posted by The Trafites on May 30th, 2010

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Nice easy plod along this week, had to look up 1 down and 7 down to confirm my guesses. Can’t say any one clue was particularly outstanding as I always enjoy all the clues; thanks again Everyman :)

Legend to solution comments:
*  =  anagram.
<  =  word reversed.

1. Circle newspaper article revealing chief troublemaker in group (10)
RINGLEADER RING+LEADER
6. A cat, ounce (4)
ATOM A TOM
9. Very bad, the French records (10)
CHRONICLES CHRONIC+LES
10. Artist’s line after nothing said (4)
ORAL RA+L after O
12. Swindle German woman and daughter (5)
FRAUD FRAU+D
13. One in bar ordered drop of rum – that’s something requiring little thought (2-7)
NO BRAINER (ONE IN BAR*)+R(um)
15. Besides displaying bravado, one is struggling against second in league (4,3,5)
OVER AND ABOVE (BRAVADO ONE*)+V (versus, i.e. against)+E
18. It’s nothing to get in? Not right, there’s this charge (9,3)
ADMISSION FEE ADMISSION F(r)EE
21. Spy on the awfully small witch (9)
PYTHONESS (SPY ON THE)*
22. Had on about son being poorer (5)
WORSE WORE around S
23. Toy boy losing head twice, flipping (2-2)
YOYO (b)OY< twice (see comment #1)
definition doing double duty?
24. Dora lit me a fresh cigarette (6-4)
TAILOR MADE (DORA LIT ME A)*
26. Sounds like legal documents for top hotel (4)
RITZ homophone: WRITS
27. Player against international, an opener for Trinidad (10)
CONTESTANT CON+TEST+T(rinidad)
1. Fierce criminal in Brazilian port (6)
RECIFE (FIERCE)*
2. Common girl’s language, initially (6)
NORMAL NORMA+L
3. Maths exercise causing lengthy disagreement (4,8)
LONG DIVISION LONG+DIVISION
This method of division is now lost on the younger generation, I guess!
4. Area in court to be renovated? On the contrary (2,9)
AU CONTRAIRE (AREA IN COURT)*
5. River in Sussex, England (3)
EXE hidden:
sussEX England
7. In which one may see Ping, Pang and Pong go round a point (8)
TURANDOT (TURN around A)+DOT
Ref: this opera
8. Potential army leak? Nonsense (8)
MALARKEY (ARMY LEAK)*
11. Make a short speech, or be taciturn about article (3,1,3,5)
SAY A FEW WORDS SAY FEW WORDS around A
taciturn means ‘disinclined to speak’ etc.
14. Dish – nuts left in mine (6,5)
BANANA SPLIT BANANAS (nuts) + L in PIT
16. One supporting the Treasury wielding party axe? (8)
TAXPAYER (PARTY AXE)*
17. In the morning they changed stone for a purple variety of sapphire (8)
AMETHYST AM+(THEY*)+ST
19. A jolly girl in navy (6)
ARMADA A RM (Royal Marine=jolly)+ADA
20. Leave course, disheartened (6)
DESERT DES(s)ERT
25. Head of Assembly, shot in the past (3)
AGO A+GO

13 Responses to “Everyman No. 3321 (23rd May)”

1. Rishi says:

23a: Toy is the definition; it’s BOY losing head twice that gives the solution.
    I think the boy loses head twice in a manner of speaking and not literally!

2. Rishi says:

In the above comment, I forgot to mention the reversal operation that is involved in getting the answer.

3. Rishi says:

The comments are visible to me too after you made the adjustment.

4. Rishi says:

Nick
    I don’t know what is happening.
    Again the ends of the comment lines are truncated in both of your posts.

5. Rishi says:

It is obvious that the white area will hold no more than certain number of characters per line.
    If the tab before the anno is removed and a dash is used instead, perhaps all the characters will be visible.
    Gaufrid
    Please delete all these posts once it’s set right.

6. The Trafites says:

Rishi, I have adjusted the table on both this and my AZED blog again… let me know what you see.

BTW, I do not understand what you mean by ‘If the tab before the anno is removed and a dash is used instead’? I also do not think it is a character per line limitation, else I would not see the whole blog perfectly!

Nick

7. Rishi says:

3d has nothing beyond I.

I am not a computer expert but I think it’s the use of tab that is causing problem.

If a sentence reaches the end of the right edge, the rest of the words don’t seem to fall below in alignment or misalignment with the tab but just vanish.

8. Rishi says:

I am sorry to say that it has not improved in the AZED blog either.

9. The Trafites says:

Seeing as I do not use a tab, it isn’t that ;) What browser do you use, MS IE?

Nick

10. Rishi says:

Yes, MS IE.

I visited the blogs using Mozilla FF and Chrome but the problem persists.

11. The Trafites says:

OK, I can see what is going on – it’s to do with font size and (physical) screen area size. I have resized the table now to very narrow, but what you can try in your browser settings is to (temporary)reduce the font size – it will then hopefully stop the words being pushed from the WordPress viewing ‘window’.

I don’t know how to fix this properly though… :(

Nick

12. Rishi says:

Nick
    Now it’s OK.
    Thanks for your patience!
    The first two Comments fix the anno for YO-YO, which I think Lorraine is yet to see.

13. The Trafites says: