Azed 1983

Posted by Andrew on June 6th, 2010

Andrew.

A relatively easy Azed this week – I managed to solve most of it without aids, with only the SW corner causing some difficulties. I can’t fully explain 18ac, and there seems to be a mistake in 24ac No, I was mistaken – see Bob Sharkey’s comment. However there does seem to be a mistake in 4dn

1. RUBBERSTAMP (BEST RAB)* in RUMP. An easy clue to get this useful long answer in, but the surface reading is a bit strained.
11. SMARM Hidden in mechaniSM ARMature
12. EPICIER (RICE PIE)*. Chambers defines this just as “Grocer (Fr)” (presumably the original meaning is “spice merchant”) and “pepperer” as “a grocer (obs)”, which by slightly twisted logic explains why “these days” is in the clue.
13. BLASTULA Composite anagram – (A FULL-BREASTED less FREED)* – with a cheeky surface reading involving a misleading use of “cleavage”
14. ENTIA T (IT “reduced”, e.g. as used in Shakespeare) in AÎNÉ, reversed.The plural of Ens, which is a philosophical term referring to “an entity as opposed to an attribute”.
15. CHUMMY Double definition: slang for a criminal, and “sociable”.
16. EDENIC EN (space) in EDIC[t]
18. PARSES I don’t fully get this. It must be an &lit, as the whole clue is a definition. “Delciae meae puellae” comes from a poem by Catullus, and is preceded by the word “passer”, which is an anagram of PARSES, but I can’t make the clue work to justify that.
19. RIGOUR Homophone of “rigger” (a narrow drum “in machinery”).
21. WHEECH WHICH with the I replaced by two Es.
24. THORNS I presume this is supposed to be THOREAU less AU + N S, but the E seems to be unaccounted for.Thanks to Bob Sharkey – it’s actually [au]THoR + N + S.
28. HAUNCH A[ss] in HUNCH, with a nice reference to Nick Bottom in A Midsummer Night’s Dream, who is transformed into an Ass in the play.
29. SAMIAN SAMI + AN. A Samian is an inhabitant of Samos.
30. STELA ST + L in EA
31. HUCKSTER (TRUCK HE’S)*
32. ENTÊTÉE TE (note – or a drink with jam and bread) in EN TEE. The word is French for “opinionated” (in its feminine version, hence the reference to Simone de Beauvoir).
33. METAL META (Greek “with”) + L. “Intrinsic quality” is one of th definitions of METAL in Chambers – perhaps more commonly seen as “mettle”, which seems to be just a variant spelling.
34. DESERPIDINE PRIDE* in DESINE (Spenserian spelling of “design” = “plan”)

2. UM AND AH “Huma” is an anagram of UM and AH
3. BATTERED TATER* in BED
4. BRAINS RA (sun) + IN (not out) in BS. I’m not sure “brains” is really the same as “common sense” – I think I fall into the category of those who have plenty of the former but not so much of the latter. Added:There may be a mistake here, as BS is the code for the Bahamas, not Barbados.
5. RELICS LIE* in RC + [wor]S[hip]
6. SPACER ACE in SPR
7. TISHRI Hidden in briTISH RIght. One of the months of the Jewish calendar.
8. ACT UP T in A CUP
9. PELMA ELM in PA. Not a botanical plant, but the sole of the foot (as in “plantigrade”)
10. PRAYER SHAWL   (SHARP LAWYER)* – “goes on in the synagogue” in the sense of “is worn…”)
11. SWEEP-WASHER (WHERE WE PASS)* – a sweep-washer recovers gold or silver from the sweepings of refineries.
17. CORNETTI Anagram of both INTRO ETC and CONTRITE. The cornett is an early woodwind instrument, not related to the modern cornet, as used in brass bands.
20. UNCLEAN UNCLE + AN (old form of “if”)
22. CHASTE [talbo]T in CHASE
23. HUNTER Double definition – one who pursues, or a pocket-watch
24. THREEP “THREE P[ence]“
25. OUT-RED ROUTED with the R “lowered”.
26. MAUND N in MAIUD and two definitions: “variable weight” and “basket that’s old”.
27. PIKES P + IKE (Eisenhower) + S (“has, reduced” – as in 14ac). Short for “turnpike”.

10 Responses to “Azed 1983”

1. Bob Sharkey says:

Re 18a, in the course of parsing the line one would be expected to link ‘passer’ and ‘deliciae’ as nouns in apposition, singular, vocative with the remainder singular genitive as qualification. ‘deliciae’, and thus ‘delicia meiae puellae’ stand in apposition to the missing noun ‘passer.’ Consequently this may be held as the object of the phrase indicating the anagram ‘in translation’. Azed makes frequent use of the question mark in his clues and it is surely needed here.
    Re 24A I have this as (au)THOR + N + S.
    Re 4D This may be read more simply as RAIN in BS, but your reading is better. Does anyone know how BS = Barbados? C. has it as Bahamas (IVR)

2. Andrew says:

Thanks Bob – your explanation of 24ac must be right: I was trying to be too clever with Thoreau. I’ll correct the blog.

I didn’t actually check BS = Barbados, and you’re right that it’s the code for Bahamas, so maybe there is a mistake there.

3. Andrew Kitching says:

Managed 3/4 of this with just reference to Chambers. I had left my Bradford at home. Some nice clues. Not off to a good start this week as yet!

4. Bob Sharkey says:

Just one, cornettO – give it to me!

5. Bob Sharkey says:

Poor Maud! One is in the mud – twice.

6. bridgesong says:

Thanks, Andrew, for the blog. I also found the south-east corner rather tricky, having solved much of the puzzle on the train. The only useful thing to add is that Chambers does give “common sense” as one of the meanings of “brains”, so the clue is fair.

7. ben says:

i had trouble with parses too and if your explanations are correct i’m still mystified. mr. crowther we need some clarification

8. The Trafites says:

Thanks Andrew, I had exactly the same queries as yourself on the problem clues; and thanks to Bob Sharkey for 24ac, as I too could not work out the word play exactly.

Nick

9. sidey says:

Has anyone come up with a suitable description of the sort of clue at 2 down?

Reverse anagram? Indicated anagram? Clue that would be an anagram if it wasn’t backwards?

Azed’s getting a bit over-fond of them for my taste.

10. Bob Sharkey says:

Sidey, I’ve referred to this clue elsewhere as “one of those Azed specials where a word or words from a true parsing must be included in the solution”, – in the present case ‘and’. A snappy descriptor word would be a great help in writing up notes, perhaps ‘parson’? More tea, Vicar?