Financial Times 13,407 / Cinephile

Posted by Gaufrid on June 9th, 2010

Gaufrid.

Provided you have a reasonable knowledge of the thematic genre this is probably the easiest Cinephile you are ever likely to come across.

The meaning of D[ance] came rapidly from solving the first clue, and was confirmed by the third, which made the rest of the puzzle quite straightforward, though 10dn does not appear in any of the usual references and required some familiarity with jazz musicians.

1 BOLERO  OLE (cry of approval) in BRO (relative)
4 PHYSIC  HYS[teria] in PIC (film)
8 GAVOTTE  VOT[e] (put cross without point) in GATE (entry)
9 PLEURAL  *(ALL PURE)
11 CHARLESTON  LEST (in case) in CHARON (ferryman)
12 FÖHN  OF reversed H (hospital) N (north)
13 PICOT  PIC[k] (nearly choose) OT (books)
14 FLAMENCO  FLAME (fire) NCO (sergeant)
16 HONEYDEW  NEY (marshal) DE (of French) in HOW
18 POLKA  [f]OLK (top people) in PA (Pennsylvania)
20 JIVE  [had]J I’VE (setter’s)
21 TURKEY TROT  TURKEY (country) TROT (left winger)
23 BEGUINE  BE (live) GUINE[a] (money without a)
24 MAZURKA  AZ (extremes) in MURK (fog) A
25 TREMOR  *(TORREM[olinos])
26 STREAM  *(STREAM)

1 BEACH  homophone of ‘beech’ (tree)
2 LEOFRIC  LEO (sign) FRI (day) C (100) – the husband of Lady Godiva
3 RETREATED  dd
5 HELEN  HE (man) LEN (boy) – Helen of Troy
6 SHUFFLE  d&cd – what you do to a pack of cards before dealing them
7 CHA-CHA-CHA  cd
10 STAFF WORK  FATS (Waller) reversed W (west) in FORK (division) – Fats Waller, jazz pianist
13 PROMINENT  MINE (excavation) in PRONT[o] (almost immediately)
15 APPLECART  *(PLACE TRAP)
17 EXECUTE  dd
19 LETTUCE  LET (allow) TUC (unions) [th]E
21 TANGO  TANG (zest) O (love)
22 OAKUM  OAK (tree) UM (let me see)

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,407 / Cinephile”

1. Ferret says:

Small typo in 18a

I’ve got to agree, the quickest I’ve ever solved a Cinephile….barely left the station before completing it.

2. Gaufrid says:

Thanks Ferret, typo corrected (I don’t know how I managed to hit F instead of K).

3. nmsindy says:

I too found the theme straightaway after JIVE looked like an answer. However I did not find it as easy as the blogger and commenter though it was not extremely difficult.

4. JamesM says:

I entirely agree with Gaufrid (good blog!) and Ferret. From BOLERO at 1a this was a breeze and the quickest Cinephile I have ever solved.

There were some good clues: but even FOHN was a breeze! (Sorry, can’t do umlauts!).

5. Gaufrid says:

Hi JamesM
    Try Alt + 153 (on the numeric keypad) and then you will get an Ö. A list of Alt+ codes can be found in several places on the web so that one can use non-keyboard characters. Unfortunately I have recently migrated to a new pc and do not have a suitable site bookmarked otherwise I would have added a link.

6. JamesM says:

Gaufrid

Thank you. It works!

Now I know how, goodness knows what I will prÖduce in the future!