Independent 7,380/Eimi

Posted by Ali on June 11th, 2010

Ali.

Much as I usually love drawing the Friday blog and finishing the working week with a nice piece of Phi, I was hoping that the start of the World Cup would mean that he would get a Prize Puzzle slot and that we’d have a football theme today. And so it was.

Despite having been following the build-up for weeks and the theme being immediately clear, it still took me a while to work out some of the acrosses, PORTUGAL and SLOVENIA being the last pair to go in. The down clues were definitely tougher and, as is often the case when the acrosses are thematic, there were some slightly more obscure words. All good clues though, and a nice way to start the opening day of what I hope will be a cracking tournament. I’m hoping for something along the lines of this!

6 ENGLAND – N(o) G(ood) in ELAND – who will hopefully get off to a flying start tomorrow by beating….
7/27 UNITED STATES – ED + STAT in UNITES
10 FRANCE – F(ellow) + RAN + C(of)E
11 SLOVENIA – SLOVEN + A1 rev.
12 ARGENTINA – (AGENT + IRAN)*
13/26 SOUTH AFRICA – (A FAT US CHOIR)*
15 GERMANY – MAN in GERY (Grey having a change of heart)
18 DENMARK – (MEN)* in DARK
20 ITALY – Hidden rev. in wilY LATIns
21 AUSTRALIA – A US + TRA-LA about I(ndependent)
25 PORTUGAL – OR + TUG in PAL
28 ALGERIA – (REGALIA)*
1 SNORER – Cryptic def.
2 PLUNGE – LUNG in P.E
3 INTESTINE – IN TEST IN E
4 SNOOK – Double def.
5 ADMITTER – Think this might be MITTE in a DR., but not sure how MITTE is ‘word seen in prescription’
8 THE NORM – NO in THERM
9 ASANA – A + S(mall) + AN (one) + A
14 MEATBALLS – T.B.A + L(ecturer) in MEALS
16 EXTRORSE – I thought this was initially EXTR[-a]OUSE, so not sure how ORSE is ‘runner’
17 MILITIA – M.I + LIT + I[-r]A
19 GULLY – Double def.
22 AIRMEN – (REMAIN)*
23 ISCHIA – Double def.
24 OGLES – OG (own goal) + LES (the French)

13 Responses to “Independent 7,380/Eimi”

1. nmsindy says:

I think it’s EXTRA HORSE with the middle removed. Enjoyed this, quite tough despite reading about the teams for weeks.

2. Derrick Knight says:

Another well executed timely winner from eimi. The outcome was predictable from the kick-off, but there was a lot of work required to achieve the goal to secure a result.

Hi Ali

RE 5dn; Like R[ecipe] – ‘take’ – seen in prescriptions and crosswords, MITTE is a Latin imperative, meaning ‘send’, or, in this case, ‘dispense’ and is used to specify the quantity. [I haven't seen it in a crossword before and it isn't in any of my dictionaries.]

I forgot to say I enjoyed this – many thanks, Eimi and Ali.

5. Tokyo Colin says:

A big ‘doh’ moment for me. I solved this OK with a bit of help to verify EXTRORSE and ADMITTER without realising there was any connection to *that* event. They were just countries to me.

Thanks Eileen, for MITTE. That form is the imperative in Japanese also, but for ‘look’ in this case. One of these days a knowledge of Japanese will be a help, but not this time.

Thanks Ali. A timely theme, and although an obvious one, some of the countries were difficult to pin down; and some harder ones with a couple of new words to me in the down clues. A good, fun puzzle to get us kicked off to the big event.

Not sure that the French make an appearance at 24dn, Ali. The reference is to Les Ferdinand, who’s associated with some little-known north London football team; his relative Anton plays for a higher-profile club about 250 miles north of there (and has been known to score some ogs).

Three mentions of Sunderland in one week without incurring Gaufrid’s wrath. Do I win a coconut?

7. eimi says:

In case people were wondering what K’s D is referring to, the original clue to 24D mentioned Ferdinand, but when he got crocked by Heskey (please Mr Hat, don’t pick Jigsaw Heskey – why is he called Jigsaw? Because he goes to pieces in the box) I changed the clue. Somehow the changed online version didn’t make it onto the site until some time this morning.

Thanks, eimi, that explains things – but at least it allowed me to score a hat-trick of mentions for The Lads … and your moniker for Heskey is priceless, thank you.

9. flashling says:

OK thought Friday Phi, no? Eimi? Hmm, looked at 1ac and just thought earwig-o earwig-o earwig-o! Some tricky down clues though. Just how late can you change clues Eimi as my paper makes no reference to Ferdinand?

10. Colin Blackburn says:

Lovely puzzle. The online version’s pop-up box has,

“They think it’s all over…it is now!”

instead of the usual message.

11. Colin Blackburn says:

I’ve just noticed that eimi’s prediction for Group C may be in the grid. I’d certainly be happy for it to finish that way.

12. eimi says:

Thanks to everyone for the comments. My intention was to include England and their group C opponents, but now Colin has suggested that as a prediction I might have to check out the odds and have a bet on it. It’s possible that 15 and 10 could be 6’s opponents in the next two rounds, but my prediction has us losing to Brazil in the semis, which would at least represent progress.

To answer flashling, I could theoretically make changes the day before publication, but I don’t like to do it too often, not least because the left hand often doesn’t know what the right hand is doing, as was the case yesterday.

I also bumped the normal concise crossword out of the way yesterday to include one of my own with the pun Lead Leaking. I hope he wins the battle of wounded knee, as he’s a class act – he’s one of those players who seems to be able to create his own time.

Come on (South African-free) England!

13. Paul B says:

Good puzzle, usual old rubbish from England. By which I mean, of course, a system that doesn’t make the best of its players (and doesn’t make any real chances), and a goalie that goofs.