Independent 7381 by Phi (Saturday Prize Puzzle 12 June 2010)

Posted by duncanshiell on June 17th, 2010

duncanshiell.

My most recent Inquisitor blog was a puzzle by Phi, as is this.  I said in the Inquisitor blog that I enjoy Phi’s cluing.  It is unambiguous and often very clever.

I got about half the clues from the definition and half from the wordplay.  For those clues where the definition came fo me first, I was able to understand the wordplay quickly.

I was watching a bit of World Cup whilst I did this, so I wasn’t totally focused on the puzzle, but I certainly completed it between kick-off and full time.

Phi delivers a consistently high standard, although nothing in this puzzle really stood out as outstanding.  There were two variants on the same theme VIANDS and ATHENE (‘v, i and s’ & ‘a then e’)

Wordplay Entry
1 Sounds like (heard over radio) START (begin) + WRECK (shup’s destruction) STAR TREK (Science Fiction show [film and television, and probably books])
6 V + I + ANDS (three of the letters of VISION – i.e. not half [of six letters]) VIANDS (food)
9 CR (Councillor) + EDIT (correct) CREDIT (believe)
10 UN’S (United Nations’s [multinational group's]) + TABLE (board) UNSTABLE (likely to collapse)
11 Anagram of (upset) HAS OLDER PARISH A SHROPSHIRE LAD (a collection of poems by A. E. Housman)
12 POT (chamber [pot]) containing (around) L (last letter of [rear of] HOTEL) PLOT (bed)
13 Anagram of (disturbed) ECHIDNA BOB BONDI BEACH (Australian location)
15 UNFAIR (iniquitous, excluding the last letter [mostly] R) + THE FUEL (excluding [extracting all] both the Es [energy]) UNFAITHFUL (cheating)
17 LOAF (loiter or stand idly about, i.e. how not to earn bread [money]) LOAF (bread) – double definition
18 DANDELION CLOCK (I remember as a young lad, blowing the spidery head off dandelion clocks and being told the time was equal to the number of blows it took to leave just the stem.  I didn’t believe it then as it was always wrong – i.e. not much help) DANDELION CLOCK (both definitions, blow, and not much help, described in word play) – double definition
21 CO  (company) + ALF (man’s name) + ACE (excellent) COALFACE (where the work’s done)
22 BAR (rod) + YON (the thing that you know of, that one) BARYON (a heavy subatomic particle)
23 A + THEN + E (A list of vowels would be A then E then I then O then U, so a start[ing] of a list) ATHENE (goddess)
24 (LAD [boy] + SEND [post])  containing (around) N (new) LANDS END (tourist venue)

Wordplay Entry
2 RAT (miserable person) reversed (uplifted) + PAULINE (of the apostle PAUL [apostle's] excluding the final [mostly] E) TARPAULIN (strong material)
3 Anagram of (bedraggled) DURABLE IN THE DEW RED WHITE AND BLUE  (the colour of many flags, around 30)
4 RA (Royal Academician, artist) + IT (reversed elevated) + O (love) RATIO (relationship)
5 (NESSUN [reference Nessun Dorma, aria by Puccini.  Used as a World Cup theme by the BBC a few World Cup's ago.  Got to get a World Cup allusion in somewhere] + K [first letter of {beginning to} of KEEP]) all reversed (up) KNUSSEN (reference Oliver Knussen, contemporary British composer and conductor [no, I hadn't heard of him eiither])
6 VEST (underwear) + I (one) + (GAL [girl] conatining [drawing....in] I [one]) VESTIGIAL (hardly visible)
7 Anagram of (developed) FROM SEAWATER and ALL A FAREWELL TO ARMS (novel by [Ernest] Hemingway)
8 LED (in charge of) reversed (climbing) +TA (Tritorial Army, soldiers) DELTA (fourth character of the greek alphabet, alpha, beta gamma, delta)
13 B (British) + (ATTLEE [former Prime Minister {of Britain, 1945 - 1951}] containing [securing] (A +X [vote]) BATTLE-AXE (a combative woman)
14 CRACK (sounds like [the sound of] CRAIC [Irish for revelry]) + DOWN (muted) CRACKDOWN (firm action)
16 F (first letter of [leader of] FRANCE) + LORE (learning) ALL (everything, excluding the final [almost] L) FLOREAL (a month iof the French Revolutionary Calendar)
19 (A  + DOT [small point]) containing (about) P (power) ADOPT (endorse)
20 C  (cold) + AB +(able-bodied seaman, soldier) + IN (home) – note (AB + IN) are underneath C because it is a cown clue CABIN (ship’s compartment)

8 Responses to “Independent 7381 by Phi (Saturday Prize Puzzle 12 June 2010)”

1. flashling says:

I don’t think this was intended to be a tough Saturday crossword as Eimi bumped it for his own world cup special. Also did this watching a game and finished it almost without trying. My only query was Paul as Apostle, unless I’m going mad he wasn’t but got converted on the road to Damascus at a later date.

2. nmsindy says:

Great blog, Duncan.

Yes, I guessed this might have been a Friday puzzle moved to the Sat because of the World Cup. So not as hard as some Sat puzzles, but v enjoyable as always from Phi. Was v pleased to work out KNUSSEN (I’d not heard of him either but verified after) from the wordplay, this was as you say possibly World Cup related.

Think Paul was known as Apostle of the Gentiles so I think that is OK.

3. jmac says:

Liked the way the grid began with START[rek] at the top left and finshed with [lands]END in the bottom right. Shared Flashling’s reservation about Paul being an apostle(but wouldn’t want to get too theological about it), and also Nmsindy’s pleasure at working out KNUSSEN. Maybe not the most difficult Saturday puzzle of all time but still very enjoyable. My favourite clue was DANDELION CLOCK.

4. Allan_C says:

To expand on NMSIndy’s comment, an apostle is someone sent (to preach the gospel), in contrast to a disciple (a pupil or follower). In the King James translation of the Bible, Paul’s letters are all headed “The Epistle of Paul the Apostle to ……” and in many of them Paul describes himself as an apostle. Cue for the schoolboy howler about an epistle being the wife of an apostle!

5. eimi says:

According to my Collins, Saint Paul of Tarsus is “also called Paul the Apostle”, and Wikipedia adds “the Apostle Paul”. The speculators are correct – Phi doesn’t submit Saturday puzzles as such, but he may be moved there to accommodate a theme on a Friday or simply if a puzzle seems significantly more difficult than usual.

6. Phi says:

jmac: well spotted

I only wish I’d put them there deliberately…honestly, not done consciously.

Knussen – between the setting of this puzzle and its appearance – won one of the Royal Philharmonic Society Awards. He is one of the major modern British composers. I am often grateful to this blog for explaining references to popular culture that would undoubtedly merely pass me by if I ever went near them. It’s nice to turn the tables on occasion.

Super blog, Duncan.

Always happy to tackle a Phi and enjoyed this one as usual, even if I did keep thinking it was Friday …

My favourite was DANDELION CLOCK, because it was cleverly clued and because, like Duncan, it reminded me of childhood summers. And its etymology is interesting – it’s derived from the French dent de lion, meaning lion’s tooth, presumably because of the shape of its leaves. The French call it pis-en-lit, meaning wet (or something like that) the bed, because of the diuretic properties of its leaves.

You probably all knew that already, so I’ll go back under my stone now.

8. flashling says:

I assumed the start/end bit was deliberate, this is the Indy crossword after all, OK fair enough I’d got it in my head that disciple and apostle were synonyms I’m not that religious, thanks all.