Independent 7388 by Eimi

Posted by NealH on June 21st, 2010

NealH.

The web site is still showing Friday’s puzzle – not sure if this is an error or the beginning of a new policy under the new owner. I managed eventually to locate a copy of the newspaper and found what I assume to be the correct puzzle printed there. Predictably, it had a Wimbledon theme with each across answer containing something used in tennis (usually a type of shot). It was very enjoyable and straightforward, the tennis theme helping me to get most of the across answers quite quickly.

7 In which we serve: CD
9 Space bar: SP + ace bar.
10 Return: Urn after ret.
11 Pass: DD.
12 Backhander: Hand in backer.
14 Net Profit: Hom of net prophet.
18 Volleyball: Lovely* + ball.
20 Spin: Nips<.
21 Tennis: (Set around inn)<.
22 Tacloban: (A colt)* + ban.
23 Forehandedness: (Has no defenders)*.
1 Display: ISP + l[ag] in day.
2 Bit by bit: CD (ref to computer memory).
3 Char: Cha[i]r.
4 Dearth: Hatred*.
5 Heat Unit: (The tuna I)*.
6 Everted: (Chris) Evert + even letters of seed. Def is turned inside out.
8 Wicks: DD, wick being an old word for a village that can be seen in many place names.
13 Curia: Uri (Geller) in ca(ses). Def is court.
14 No longer: CD/DD. No longer = someone not longing for something.
15 Filicide: Lici[t] in FIDE.
16 Boredom: Bedroom*.
17 Picasso: Hidden in OlymPIC ASSOciation.
19 Yes man: Y (variable) + names*.
20 Score: DD.
22 To do: Too around D.

12 Responses to “Independent 7388 by Eimi”

1. Derrick Knight says:

Another piece of topical fun from eimi.

2. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the blog NealH. Yes, this was great fun and seeing the tennis connection in the across answers helped me to finish it esp getting the film title. Favourite clues, NET PROFIT, NO LONGER, YES MAN.

3. eimi says:

Apologies for lack of correct puzzle on the web site – thanks to Gaufrid for the tip-off – but normal service (ouch) has been resumed.

4. Gaufrid says:

Hi Neal
    Eimi’s puzzle is now on the Indy website. In 4d you have the answer and anagram fodder the wrong way round.

Thank you Neal. Despite getting the theme quickly, I found it not quite as straightforward as you – maybe because the tennis answers were sometimes hidden. I was racking my brains for a bit to find a Wimbledon competitor from Tacloban, for example (somebody’s going to tell me there is one I suppose). Had to do it at lunchtime rather than early doors because of the glitch, and my brain seems not to work as well with crozzies once the sun is past its zenith, which it has today now the longer nights are drawing in.

Talking of longer, I liked NO LONGER best today, just because it tickled my fancy. But IN WHICH WE SERVE was one of my last to go in, having got the theme from the Wimbledon reference in the clue. NMS, I thought you said when you were blogging the other day that filums weren’t your strong point?

6. nmsindy says:

That film title was somewhere in the recesses of my memory but I did go to the Internet Movie Data base to verify it.

7. flashling says:

Lots of tennis and computing answers I see with the ‘net tie in. Nicely done Eimi.

8. Stella Heath says:

Nice one. I was quite chuffed at the usual congratulations being substituted by a “Game, Set and Match” :-D

9. eimi says:

Thanks for the blog and the comments. The thematic words weren’t completely random. We started with the serve, then a type of serve, then a return – the net was in the middle, with the volley played close to the next and the lob further back.

The anagram at 23 is starting to seem prophetic in another sport now!

10. Scarpia says:

Thanks NealH.
    A fun solve with a nicely worked theme,particularly liked 17 down which,though quite easy to solve,is a lovely hidden answer.Well spotted Eimi!

11. flashling says:

@Eimi ok even cleverer than it already seemed, what’s with the royal We though? 23ac? the other positions seem to be unfilled too.

12. eimi says:

I wasn’t attempting to use the royal we, one was merely involving the setter in the explanation of the puzzle :-)