Independent 7,390/Dac

Posted by Ali on June 23rd, 2010

Ali.

Dac’s puzzles are always a pleasure, never a chore. That said, this definitely seemed tougher than usual and I eventually had to admit defeat with a few answers.

Ain’t nothing wrong with any of the clues though. He continues to make the whole thing seem so effortless!

8 LORRAINE – OR + RA in LINE
9 RIFLE – Double def.
10 APPARITION – (PIANO PART I)*
11 THOR – Hidden in egypT HORus
12 CODDLE – DD in COLE
13 SALT MINE – (L + INMATES)*
14 SEXISTS – EXIST (are) in S.S
16 BASSIST – B[-and] + ASSIST
20 ART PAPER – RT. in (APPEAR)*
23 RAGOUT – GAR rev. + OUT
25 ROAR – OAR on R(iver)
26 SACRAMENTO – (ACTOR’S NAME)*
27 EVENT – [-contes]T after EVEN
28 SPEEDIER – Not 100% sure on this. Am guessing that ‘to go’is PEE, but not sure about the ‘German man-of-war’ wordplay.
1 ROMP HOME – 0 M.P.H in ROME – Clue of the Day!
2 ERRAND – E[-astern] + RAN in RD.
3 DIVINEST – Cryptic def., DIVI NEST
4 NERISSA – SIREN rev. on AS rev.
5 URINAL – R.U rev. + [-f]INAL – A close runner-up for Clue of the Day!
6 OFTTIMES – (SOFT ITEM)*
7 BEMOAN – MOA in BEN
15 IMPORTER – I’M PORTER – though I’m not sure who PORTER was!
17 AIRFARES – Cryptic def.
18 SQUATTED – T(ime) after T(ime) ‘E in SQUAD
19 PRECAST – (CARPETS)*
21 RIOTED – RIO + TED
22 PESETA – Hidden rev. in lATE SEPtember
24 GLENDA – GLEN + D(eserted) A(rea)

11 Responses to “Independent 7,390/Dac”

1. IanN14 says:

Thanks, Ali.
    28ac. Die (go) in (Albert) Speer.
    15d. Jimmy Porter (From “Look Back In Anger”.
    There is in fact a nina, here (unusually for a Dac) around the outside.
    I presume it’s a cryptic way of suggesting the setter’s name?

2. RayFolwell says:

28A was DIE in (Albert) SPEER – I also guessed at PEE at first
    15D – I think this is Jimmy PORTER in “Look back in anger”

There is a NINA here reading the border squares right to left and bottom to top, A reference to Dac (rev) presumably.

3. Derrick Knight says:

Usual first rate work from Dac. I,too, found it harder than usual for this setter, but no complaints about that. The Nina was a great help.

4. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the blog, Ali. Maybe I was lucky but I found this was easy enough. I suspected a Nina from the start from the shape of the grid and esp as some answers had less than 50% checking. However I saw it only near the very end and it helped me to finish – did not think of the DAC reversed connection so thanks RayFolwell for that. Like you, Ali, my favourite clue was ROMP HOME, also esp liked PRECAST.

5. eimi says:

A Nina from Dac? Whatever next? Liberals supporting the dismantling of the welfare state? England winning a football match?

This was chuffing hard. However, with – in the final death throes – some serious on-line help, I managed it. But it was, as Ali said, all fairly clued and I liked DIVINEST and the surface of 16ac particularly.

To help with future examples of 23ac, I must make a list of three-letter fishes one of these days, and I can’t even see Ninas when they’re the right way round. Anyway, as eimi commented, since Dac has provided us with something we don’t see very often, perhaps England will have managed the same by five o’clock. I was going to start a discussion following yesterday’s blog about PORTER being a bit obscure as a character for inclusion in a daily cryptic, but by the time everyone’s back here we’ll all be too elated or rat-arsed to care.

7. Stella Heath says:

I’ve just returned to the puzzle to see if I could work out what you people mean by a Nina, and found four words written backwards around the edge, referring to disreputable types. I was expecting some sort of phrase. Can anyone enlighten me further?

8. nmsindy says:

Yes, you’ve found it, Stella. A Nina does not have to be a phrase. As mentioned above Dac’s pseudonym is Cad reversed and so are (synonyms) the four words in the perimeter rows and columns. And it’s looking better for England…

9. Derrick Knight says:

I believe the term Nina was coined by Roger Philips (Kea) after the American cartoonist Al Herschfield’s practice of hiding his daughter’s name in each of his beautiful line drawings. Well, we just about did it!

Stella at no 7: as nms says, a Nina is some kind of hidden message in the puzzle – usually around the perimeter, but sometimes across a diagonal – that has some reference to the theme of the crossword, or something else topical. Sometimes the grid gives you a clue to this, if it’s set out like today, where the pattern suggests that words could be hidden around the outside.

Personally, I’m rubbish at them – I’m so focused on getting the clues that I never think to look for help in the outside bits until it’s all over (and it is now).

Enjoying your contributions Stella – and it won’t be footie dominated every day, honest.

11. Scarpia says:

Thanks Ali.
    A very enjoyable puzzle,with some super clues.1 and 5 down were excellent, as you say, and I also liked 4 down.
    Didn’t spot the Nina,but then I very rarely do!