Independent 7,387 by Anax (Saturday Prize Puzzle, 19/06/10)

Posted by Simon Harris on June 24th, 2010

Simon Harris.

I had just been thinking we must be due for a Saturday Anax, and here we are. I wonder if being able to predict setters several weeks running is an early sign of having spent rather too much time on crosswords.

I must admit I couldn’t really get into this one, thought I can’t put my finger on why. Some of it was very easy and in other parts it was just very hard to see the reasoning. Thus there were a few guesses, and there will be one or two gaps in my explanations, so feel free to jump in.

1 FLORA – (A ROLF)<, I guess, though the def. seems stranded in the middle of the clue.
4 LANDS END – L AND SEND.
8 STEADY ON – STEAD + YON.
9 ROOTS – R[eveal] O[ne] O[f] T[his] S[pecies].
10 TALC – [me]TAL C[oating].
12 UNECONOMIC – ON in (UN + COMIC).
13 ESCULENT – UNCLE’S* in ET.
14 COHORT – CO + (R in HOT).
15 STATUE – U in STATE.
17 CHARNECO – CHAR + ONCE*.
19 LARYNGITIS – ANGRILY* + T[r]I[e]S.
21 SUCK – S[t]UCK.
22 EXILE – (I + L) in EXE, as in an executable file, thus computer program.
23 PROHIBIT – PRO + (BI in HIT).
25 UNDERTOW – (ROUND WET)*.
26 MAYBE – (BY A)< in ME.
1 FATWAHS – FAT + SHAW<.
2 OVA – roughly a hom. of “over”.
3 AS YOU WERE – (SEE OUR WAY)*.
4 LONGEST – dd.
5 NARCO – A R in NCO.
6 SHOW OF HANDS – cd.
7 NASTIER – N + (E in ASTIR).
11 COUNTRY LIFE – complete guess, something to do with “sticks”=COUNTRY and, well, it has pages at least. Sticks pages together.
14 CLASSROOM – CLAS[h] + MOORS<
16 TRADE IN – DE in TRAIN.
17 CATS-PAW – CAT + (P in SAW).
18 COCAINE – C[igarette] + O + Michael CAINE.
20 GWENT – W in GENT.
24 IVY – I[celandic] V[olcano] + hom. of “why”.

19 Responses to “Independent 7,387 by Anax (Saturday Prize Puzzle, 19/06/10)”

I’d love to jump in, Simon, but I only got about five clues altogether! After an easyish run of Prize puzzles, back to the normal standard with this one.

2. Allan_C says:

Simon, I think 11d is COUNTRY SIDE (although I would have thought page = sides together, not vice-versa). Also, I normally think of “countryside” as one word

3. Allan_C says:

Er… Put brain in gear before posting comments. Strictly speaking a side is is the same as a page so “page = sides together” doesn’t make any more sense than vice-versa. I’ll leave it to others to suggest an explanation.

4. theminx says:

Country life…..as in the magazine…and also a very good folk song….which may help you with other clues…

5. jmac says:

I thought this was a really first class puzzle with generally brilliant surfaces masking the fact that we are in the wonderful world of Anax where nothing is what it seems – top marks for deviousness. The two I had most problems with were 6 down, where I filled in SHOW OF HANDS because nothing else seemed to fit and it seemed to work with “digital” but else left me perplexed; and 11 down where I couldn’t really come to terms with COUNTRY SIDE (if that is what it is) being two words. 2 minor corrections to the blog: 12 across “une” not “un”; and a typo at 14 across (should of course read COHORT).

6. Tatrasman says:

A very devious one indeed. I struggled to complete, couldn’t fully understand the wordplay of a dozen clues and got several wrong! And call me a dope or a charlie, but I think Anax has made a hash of 18d: according to my Oxford DoE ‘blow’ is slang for cannabis, not cocaine, and surely they are made from entirely different stuff.

7. eimi says:

Yes, it was new to me too, but Chambers does define ‘blow’ as US slang for cocaine, as well as British slang for cannabis.

8. anax says:

And funnily enough I didn’t even refer to the dictionary (naughty boy). My memory of BLOW=COCAINE was thanks to the old rap classic White Lines by Grandmaster Flash, which is all about cocaine and uses “blow” as a refrain in several parts of the song.

9. nmsindy says:

Yes, this was v good, quite tough, tho not as hard as some Anax Indys in the past. Favourite clues, STEADY ON, COUNTRY LIFE, MAYBE.

10. Ali says:

And not forgetting the book/film:

I struggled with this one and certainly didnlt finish it. Enjoyed every clue that I did solve though!

11. redddevil says:

so was it country life or country side (or even country file?)
    And pardon my ignorance but where were are the nurses in cohort?

12. nmsindy says:

Solution’s not appeared yet but I think it’s COUNTRY LIFE (magazine, with ‘pages’ giving the idea). ‘Nurses’ is a v trickily misleading containment indicator. Sexy = HOT CO = Fellow as in eg copilot. Hope this helps.

13. flashling says:

A very tricky one, I guessed at country file in the end as in a file of papers and a TV programme. Still don’t get what anax was after. Thought cohort was a clever use of nurses I’ve not seen before and was a chuckle audible moment.

14. redddevil says:

was happy with hot and co but must say i missed that sense of nurses but appreciate it now.
    I’m with flashling on the country file answer but thought anax might elucidate.
    a demain.

15. anax says:

@ redddevil

COUNTRY LIFE indeed. “Sticks pages together” refers to the countryside often being referred to as “the sticks”; COUNTRY LIFE is a magazine whose pages are a collection of items concerning our rural bits. Not a classic CD, although COUNTRY LIFE is a classic song by 6d; other good ones are 1a, 4a, 9a, 22a, 25a, 26a, 3d and 18d.

16. Stella Heath says:

The online puzzle confirms “country life”

Too convoluted for me – many of my answers were pure guesswork, confirmed by the “check” button without understanding why. Others, though I got them from the word-play, I’ll have to look up now – what on earth is “esculent”?

17. nmsindy says:

ESCULENT, maybe not on the tip of everyone’s tongue but I managed to work it out from the wordplay and dicts confirm it means ‘eatable’.

18. Peter Biddlecombe says:

I struggled with this and gave up with a couple unsolved – 21, where I crossed out SUCK as I wasn’t sure enough that it matched ‘drain’, and 18 where I didn’t know about “blow”, though the rest of it now seems perfectly gettable from C?C?I?E.

19. flashling says:

What really gets me is I’ve seen 6dn loads of times and it actually stopped me putting it in the grid for a while as I couldn’t see the link to the duo. Steve and Phil are good but I completely missed the songs till Anax pointed them out.