Independent 7392 by Phi

Posted by nmsindy on June 25th, 2010

nmsindy.

Always have confidence with Phi that I will get there, this puzzle was no exception, solving time 23 mins.

V enjoyable as always.

* = anagram

ACROSS

1 WIDE-ANGLE LENS    (leading)* EL (the in Spanish) all contained in (news)*

8 NIPPY   NIP  PartlY

9 ARTIFICER    A (one)  (terrific)*     A mechanic in the services, ‘naval’ chosen here to go with the anagram indicator ‘at sea’, I guess.

11 STEAM OPEN   Cryptic definition.    This refers to opening the seals of envelopes using steam (from a kettle) so as to read the letter.    The envelope could then be resealed.

12 NOOKS   N(new) LOOKS (fashions) less L (length)

13 REALLY    Definition:  in earnest     ER (Monarch) (reversed)   ALLY (supporter)

14 SAMIZDAT     Underground writing in the former Soviet Union  (amazed it’s)* less E = English

17 AVERSION    A (acting)   VERSION (edition)

19 AFLOAT     rear of lilO  in A FLAT (puncture).    My favourite clue today, showing also they don’t have to be hard to be good.

22 TODDY     TODAY (now) with D (a bit of drink) for A (article)

24 SAINTLIKE      (in talkies)*

25 ESPLANADE     PLAN A (first idea) in (seen)*

26 OSTIA    Port of ancient Rome.    SO (very much) (reversed) I (one) in TA (soldiers)

27 TAKE A BACK SEAT     TAKE ABACK  and A (one) in SET

DOWN

1 WINDSOR CASTLE      WINDS (turns)   (locates r)*  R = Queen   &lit

2 DEPRECATE     DEPRECIATE less I(one)

3 ABYSMAL     A BY S MAL(e)   A BY S = article from pen of second

4 GRAPPA    APP (apparently) in GRA(n)    Nan = Gran

5 ESTONIAN    EST (French is) ON (working)  IAN (Scot)

6 EFFENDI     Turkey’s equivalent of Mister as form of address   E  FF  END I

7 SICKO    SIC (faithfully reproduced)  KO  (OK reversed)

10 RISE TO THE BAIT     T (tense) in (theories)*  B (British)  AIT (island)

15 DOOLITTLE     This refers to Eliza Doolittle in Shaw’s play ‘Pygmalion’ which became ‘My Fair Lady’.    idle (vb) = do little  containing O (love)

16 BOTSWANA     T = head of tiny   SWAN  all in BOA (snake)

18 SKYLARK      I think the Aussie singer is Kylie Minogue (also an actress) so it’s KYL (ie = that is missing) in SARK, one of the Channel Islands

20 FETLOCK    Projection on a horse (ie colt).    Hidden reversal in blacK COLT EFfectively

21 CINEMA     MEN (rising) in CIA (Agents)

23 DEPOT    TOP ED  (award-winning journalist) reversed

7 Responses to “Independent 7392 by Phi”

Thanks, nms, for a blog which explained the two or three clues where as usual I had only a vague notion of why the answer was what it was. I know what you mean about Phi: in his Friday Indy spot at least, he’s usually solvable if you persevere and it’s always a pleasing start to the last day of the working week.

I liked TAKE A BACK SEAT today; and TODDY, which had today as its starting point.

I was held up a bit by inexplicably entering WINDSOR PALACE

2. Derrick Knight says:

Agree, another lovely puzzle. AFLOAT also my favourite, although I also liked WINDSOR CASTLE. Had to guess SAMIZDAT from the wordplay.

3. walruss says:

I got there too, NMSindy, but not a thrilling ride! Even so, AFLOAT floated my boat, so not all humdrum and dreary.

4. Scarpia says:

Thanks nms.
    I always enjoy a puzzle from Phi and this was no exception.A nice mix of clue devices with some nicely worked anagrams.Favourite clues were 18 down and 25 across.
    I read 11 across as a partial anagram {at some = steam o + pen (writing)} with an & lit element.

5. Simon Harris says:

Must admit a similar experience to other solvers: this is quite hard, but I’ll get there. And I did, though how I dredged things like SAMIZDAT and EFFENDI from the old memory banks is a mystery. Well, probably not a mystery…more likely just excellent clueing.

6. Simon Harris says:

And with apologies to NMS for unnecessarily adding to his inbox, I might mention that with time left over to actually read the paper, today’s issue was ample reminder of why I keep buying it. Quite apart from the excellent crossword, I thought the cover story, Johann Hari’s piece and Robert Skidelsky on Keynes vs. Osborne were excellent, and for good measure an interview with a certain gap-toothed gallic lovely of whom a young Simon H was a huge admirer!

7. flashling says:

Got to skylark by a way which made me enter the grid the right word but a fluke.

I saw Sky I lark but couldn’t see why I was removed not ie, and was unsure it it was australian anyway.

Really don’t know why deprecate the last to get took me so long though.