Independent 7394 by Punk

Posted by NealH on June 28th, 2010

NealH.

Apart from 14 across, I thought this was slightly more restrained than some Punk puzzles but had a nice mix of dictionary words and general knowledge based answers. My favourite clue was 5 across, with a lovely misdirection towards Spike Milligan. I also liked 12 across, even though the name meant nothing to me.

1 Fletcher: Fetcher around l[ion].
5 Impale: “I’m pale”.
10 Back to Square One: (Quaker’s boat once)*.
11 Iceman: IC + name<. A reference to O'Neill's play "The Iceman Cometh".
12 Youthful: Useful with a lisp. Being someone who never read children’s books, I hadn’t a clue who Violet Elizabeth Bott was. Apparently, she is from the Just William books and had a pronounced lisp.
14 Duckworth Lewis: (Inspector) Lewis (successor to Morse) after duck worth. Lots of cricketing references here, a duck being zero runs so “value of cricketing fiasco” is duck worth. The Duckworth Lewis method is used in cricket to calculate runs in a weather-shortened match.
17 For Heaven’s Sake: DD/CD.
21 Immuring: I ring about mum*.
23 Eloper: Lope in ER. Nice misdirection on the word bound.
25 Caught Red-Handed: Amusing CD.
26 Petite: Tit in pee.
1 Fabric: Fab (as in Fab Four) + ric[h].
2 Exchequer: Hom of Ex Checker. I think state department here is used in the sense of “Department of State”, so not a US reference.
3 Catwalk: CA + talk around w.
4 East: Hidden in shoe a stiletto.
6 Marital: Rita in mal[e]. Another Beatles reference.
7 Aloof: A fool<.
8 Eyeglass: Ye in EG + lass.
9 Out of tune: One around “to FT” in UU.
13 Souvenir: (One’s virus)*.
15 Wikipedia: Wiped around K + I + AI<.
16 A Fair Cop: Op under Africa*.
18 Earshot: Ear’s hot (as in ear of corn).
19 Sultana: CD. I had a no idea who Hassanal Bolkiah is, but not difficult to guess that he must be a Sultan.
20 Credit: ([P]ride)* in ct.
22/27 Mount Pleasant: Mount + Pleasant, ref to the sorting office in London.
24 Idol: Hom of idle.

11 Responses to “Independent 7394 by Punk”

Thanks for the blog, Neal. I always seem to struggle with Punk; there’s very rarely anything wrong with his clueing, it’s just I’m somehow not on his wavelength. I got very few on the first look through, but finally managed all the bottom. But the top half was a struggle and I couldn’t finish four or five clues in the NW corner.

I was familiar with the lisping Ms Bott (‘I’ll thcream and thcream till I’m thick’ was her famous line, for those who aren’t) – but only through crosswords.

And if Gaufrid will allow a brief digression, I am trying to choose the most appropriate adjective to describe last night. My shortlist is now down to three: abysmal, lamentable and absolute Scheisse. Currently I’m tending towards the last option.

2. Derrick Knight says:

I enjoyed this one – a good start to the week. What happened last night, KD?

Come on Derrick, surely you know that Australia lost to England in one-dayers, which has left me distraught. Okay, after AMENDS, as you setters like to say, would have been a better choice (he said, trying desperately to include a crossword-related bit in an attempt to keep on-topic).

4. nmsindy says:

Enjoyable puzzle, not too difficult, favourite clue A FAIR COP. K’s D would at least have the consolation that all Sunderland’s players in South Africa (3) are still at the tournament, two with Paraguay, one with Ghana.

5. eimi says:

17A, England were 9D throughout, not 12A enough, with too many 24Ds, so it’s 16A, despite the disallowed goal. They didn’t emerge with much 20D and now we’re 10A. I’d like to think I had a certain facility with words, and certainly many were applied during the match, but when it comes to the introduction of Heskey I’m afraid words fail me.

6. nmsindy says:

So not a 27A experience for England with few happy 13D, let’s hope a new 12A crop will emerge to 22D a recovery in due course.

7. Scarpia says:

Thanks NealH.
    I found this very easy for a Paul/Punk crossword.I must have been on the same wavelength as everything just fell into place for me,with only 5 across and 6 down holding me up.
    Nice witty puzzle though.Particularly liked 12 and 26 across and the anagram at 10 across.

Now England have been knocked out of the World Cup,does that mean an end to all this soccer chat?

8. flashling says:

Surprisingly easy for a Punk, normally I struggle with his. Think the ref and linesman need some 6dns. Somehow I doubt the ref will get the final.

Scarpia at no 7. Yes. But obviously with the cricket season in full swing and said sport being a treasure house for setters of all varieties, we’ll have to try to get a mention for Our Boys once or twice over the coming couple of months.

10. Mick H says:

Nice one eimi/Nmsindy, can I just add that Rooney seemed a bit 7D.
    Re Heskey – “This bloke’s essential – not!” (6)
    Nice puzzle, ‘justified apprehension’ was a great definition for A FAIR COP.

11. Scarpia says:

Kathryn’s Dad.
    Cricket’s fine by me and,as you say,many references are to be found in crosswords.
    A reminder that the archery World Cup final is in Edinburgh on the 18th + 19th September :) .