Everyman 3326

Posted by Arthur on July 4th, 2010

Arthur.

I have to say I didn’t really enjoy this one. Compared to the tight cluing of the best Everymans (Everymen?) this seemed to be quite sloppy in places. For example, 5dn is a clue that fits the answer, but there is no way you could be sure that it was the correct answer until you had plenty of other letters –  so not a great clue in the sense that you couldn’t get the answer from it alone. I don’t completely ‘get’ everything that’s going on in 21ac either… Any help much appreciated!

1 SIGNAL - dd
4 THE DOORS - dd
9 GREASE – GR + EASE
10 TASMANIA – SAMA(r)ITAN*
12 PENDENNIS - PEN + DENNIS
13 NOTED – ETON< + D
14 SPENCER TRACY - PERRYSACCENT*
18 FOUNTAINHEAD – FOUNTAIN + HE’D around A
21 FLOSS - The FLOSS is the river in T. S. Eliot’s The Mill on the Floss but Female victim, I’m not sure about. Either FLOSS is a girls name (female) but then why victim, or we get F (=female) + LOSS (= victim??) neither of which makes sense to me. I’m sure there’s a very simple explanation that I’m missing – any help much appreciated!
22 ILL AT EASE – ILL + A + TEASE
24 ONE-LINER – ON + E + LINER
25 IN CASE – I + N + CASE
26 TRAVESTY – TRY around [A + VEST(a)]
27 BEAT IT – BEAT + IT
1 SIGNPOST – cd
2 GREEN TEA - TEENAGER*
3 AISLE - hidden in (australi)A IS LE(ngthy)
5 HEADS OR TAILS - dd
6 DOMINICAN - DO + MINI + CA + N
7 ORNATE – N in ORATE
8 SHANDY – HANDY after S(aloon)
11 INTRANSIGENT - NETSTRAINING*
15 CROSSFIRE – CROSSE(d) around FIR
16 SET APART – ETA in SPART(a)
17 ADHERENT – A + DENT around HER
19 AFLOAT - A + FLOAT
20 BODEGA - BOD + E.G. + A
23 TENSE - dd

Common crossword abbreviations this week:

Greek = GR
run = R
daughter = D
area = A
English = E
name = N
Italian = IT
about = CA [circa]
noon = N
knight = N

6 Responses to “Everyman 3326”

Hi Arthur

I do know what you mean – I too finished this one with a few ‘that’s very unlike Everyman’ thoughts. There were some old chesnuts like TEENAGER = GREEN TEA, but that’s fair enough – they’re only chestnuts when you’ve seen them lots of times. I wasn’t too keen on ‘crossed’ as a synonym for ‘covered’ in 15dn, and in 8dn does ‘handy’ really mean ‘readily available’?

I too am at a complete LOSS to explain 21ac, and am struggling to understand how ILL AT EASE works if someone could oblige.

I was fine with HEADS OR TAILS and also liked SET APART.

Everyman is back on top form today with a soundly clued and entertaining puzzle for us all to enjoy.

2. Rishi says:

Re 21a FLOSS. I think the reference is to George Eliot’s novel (this was one of the novels prescribed for study when I did M. A. Eng Lit in Madras University in the dark backward and abysm of time). If I remember right, in the novel central character Maggie’s life ends in a flood. “Female victim” may allude to this.

If this is correct, what’s cryptic about the clue?

3. Rishi says:

Re 22a
    I too see it as ILL + A + TEASE
    Unlucky, – ILL
    a – A
    guy – v. “to make fun of, TEASE’ (maybe from Guy Fawkes, though I am not sure)
    unable to relax – def.

4. Everyman says:

21A [Female victim in Eliot's river]
    f, standard abbreviation for female + loss = victim (as in losses in the war, say); ref The Mill on the (River) Floss

Thanks, Rishi. Had never heard the use of ‘guy’ as to tease, but you’re right, it’s down there as the last definition in my Collins. And it confirms that it does derive from Mr Fawkes, but frustratingly doesn’t say why.

6. Stella Heath says:

I’m pleased to see my parsing of Floss was the same as Everyman’s explanation @4.

As for “guy” being synonymous with teasing, I had come across it before.I seem to remember as a child people would make a guy out of old rags and push it around in a wheelbarrow, asking for a “penny for the guy” with which to buy fireworks. November 5th celebrations have long been regulated to prevent accidents, which seems to have put paid to this tradition, but they still burn a guy on the bonfire, don’t they? It would be this effigy which was the object of teasing, especially by the kids who came across it in the streets.