Independent 7400 by Mordred

Posted by NealH on July 5th, 2010

NealH.

More football here, with a couple of former players appearing as a NINA along the edges. Not being a big football fan, I’m not entirely sure what the significance of the names is. The only link I can think of is that both turned to acting after finishing their playing careers.

8 Beanpole: (Runner) Bean + lope*.
9 Bamboo: Baboo[n] around m(iles).
10 Footballer: (Ref too)* around ball. A none-too-subtle reference to England’s disallowed goal, I assume.
12 Errata: Hidden, rev in Avatar review..
14 Chastise: This looks like Chas (as in Chas & Dave) + site*, although I can’t see any anagram indicator for site. I assume beat is the definition.
15 Egotism: E[r]gotism.
17 Ospreys: OS (oversize) + preys. Raven can mean to “prey repaciously”.
20 Reprises: Rep (sales rep = agent) + rises.
22 Indent: Intend with the d and t (first and last letters of tied) switched round.
24 Isnt: Inst*.
25 Real Estate: Rest around ale + ate. Def is pub, perhaps.
27 Circle: DD.
28 Lothario: Tool* around hair*.
1 Velour: Lou in ver[y]. (Very = jolly in the sense of “jolly good”).
2 Inst: In + first and last letters of stock market.
3 Nowadays: No ways around AD. “No ways” seems to be an acceptable alternative to “no way”.
4 Neglect: Leg* + c in net.
5 Iberia: [S]iberia.
6 Embittered: &lit. (Met debt ire)*.
7 Joyously: Joy + lousy with l moved down.
13 Antarctica: (Cataract In)*.
16 Gneissic: Eng< + is sic[k].
18 Stiletto: (Nobby) Stile[s] + OTT<.
19 Assault: Ass + aut[o] around l.
21/11 Screen icon: (Nice censor)*.
23 Nutria: (I run at)*.
26 Tuan: U (text version of you) in tan(gent).

10 Responses to “Independent 7400 by Mordred”

1. Colin Blackburn says:

At 14 I think the anagram indicator is ‘on’ for drunk.

I missed the Nina completely!

2. IanN14 says:

I think the nina suggests 10ac’s turned 21/11’s, but I think calling Vinnie Jones an icon is pushing it a bit…

3. Gaufrid says:

Hi Neal
    A slight typo in 16dn where you meant to write ‘is’ rather than ‘I’.

4. nmsindy says:

Yes, you’re right, NealH, I think, the theme is former footballers who turned to film with 10A, 21D, being intentional. I saw VINNIE JONES emerging fairly early on, but only saw ERIC CANTONA when I’d the grid full. Quite a hard puzzle, as I guess some less familiar words had to appear. Favourite clues BEANPOLE, GNEISSIC.

I found this one too hard today. Got most of the left-hand side and then was defeated by the rest. Monsieur Cantona’s footballing skills where certainly better than his acting skills. He was pretty handy at kung-fu as well of course.

… or were better, even.

7. Scarpia says:

Thanks NealH.
    Enjoyed this one and like you didn’t see an anagram indicator in 14 across.Colin @1 – I’m sure you are right but it seems rather tenuous to me.
    Otherwise all clues seemed fine,favourites being 17 across,6 and 16 down.
    As usual I didn’t spot the nina but my knowledge of(recent)soccer players is very limited.

8. flashling says:

I noticed there’s also the link for 19d for both footballers, there’s a rather famous image of Vinnie Jones erm tackling Paul Gascoignes tackle as it were.

flashling, I know what you mean, and the pic has been published many times since the famous incident, but I think that’s serendipity … perhaps Mordred may drop in later to tell us otherwise.

10. Derrick Knight says:

Responding to KD’s invitation I have to say I was thinking of neither Vinnie’s handful nor Eric’s boot; just got inspired by Ken Loach’s film Looking for Eric. The Screen Icon was more of a joke than anything. Not being prescient, and having submitted the puzzle in January, any link to the disallowed goal (Blog 10Across) was the serendipity. I had hoped, however, that 18Down may remind some solvers of another midfielder’s raised heel.