Guardian 25061 – Brummie

Posted by Uncle Yap on July 13th, 2010

Uncle Yap.

Brummie, like his alter ego, Cyclops, is always fun. Although his devices may sometimes be weird, risque and/or otherwise unusual, they are always very Ximenean and fair. This puzzle was very entertaining with the key word leading to other different meanings

ACROSS
1 BLOOMER Ins of L (large) in BOOMER (male kangaroo) a longish crusty loaf of white bread with rounded ends and a number of slashes across the top
5 FIBSTER *(first be)
9 OFTEN Cha of OF + TEN (rev of NET, bag) He swears a lot / often.
10 UNTRODDEN ha
11 TROUBADOUR Ins of RO (rev of OR, gold) in TUB (bath disguised as an English city) + A DOUR (grim) any of a class of mostly aristocratic poets composing lyrics on courtly love, who first appeared in Provence, and flourished from the 11c to the 13c
12 TYPO ha
14 ENGLISH ROSE Cha of English (language) Rose (bloomer as a flower) for perhaps Elton John’s tribute to Princess Diana

18 OPENING TIME dd with the second an allusion to a jar of perhaps Guinness Stout (hic)

21 SLIP Bloomer as a mistake. I’m not sure how Daisy works until grandpuzzler wrote

: could be Daisy the Cow since cowslip is a bloomer (primrose).

22 STENTORIAN *(stationer + n, fifth letter of business)
25,19 SHRINKING VIOLET Cha of SHRINK (slang for a psycho-analyst) IN G (good) VIOLET (Bloomer as a flower) for a shy, hesitant person.
26 OGLES BOGLES (goblins) minus B (black)
27 TEEMING Ins of M (motorway) in TEEING (as in golf when a tee support is being placed on the ground to hold a ball for the driver club to strike)
28 TRY IT ON dd

DOWN
1 BLOTTO B (not A, the top grade) LOTTO (old game) helplessly drunk
2 OPTION rha
3 MONTBRETIA MO (moment or short duration) *(Britten) A Bloomer of the flower variety; a plant (genus Crocosmia) of the iris family bearing bright orange-coloured flowers
4 ROUND dd He fired a round/bullet as a warning. He was eliminated in the first round/heat.
5 FETTUCINI *(cut it fine) pasta made in long ribbons
6 BOOB BOO (a cry to surprise) B (black) Bloomer of the mistake kind
7 TEDDY BOY Ins of EDDY (water disturbance) B (boron) in TOY (like a miniature Ferrari car as driven by Michael Schumacher)
8 RANSOMED The answer is the natural sequence to being kidnapped. The other reference is Arthur Ransome’s Swallows and Amazons, the first in a classic series of children’s stories
13 PHRENOLOGY Ins of *(HER) in *(POLYGON) would-be science of mental faculties supposed to be located in various parts of the skull and investigable by feeling the bumps on the outside of the head.
15 GO-GETTING Ins of GETT (Paul GETTY, the millionaire minus Y) in GOING (working as in The cement-mixer is working/going smoothly after the overhaul)
16 HOUSE-SIT ha
17 PEDIGREE Ins of *(DIRGE) in PEE (tinkle, urinate, slash, etc)
20 UNISON Ins of S (first letter of Strain) in UNION (marriage)
23 NIGHT Cha of NIGH (close and near) T (temperature)
24 ANTI AN (one) TI (rev of IT, sex)

Key to abbreviations
dd = double definition
dud = duplicate definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

21 Responses to “Guardian 25061 – Brummie”

1. grandpuzzler says:

Thanks to Uncle Yap & Brummie. RE 21A: could be Daisy the Cow since cowslip is a bloomer (primrose).

Cheers

2. molonglo says:

Thanks Uncle Yap. Montbretia was last and it definitely needed the Net. Most of the rest was straightforward, Brummie has a penchant for the ha (10a etc), and that helped. Re 11a, one of the most euphonious names of all time was the troubador Walter von der Vogelweide, I’ve always thought.

3. Twiddlepin says:

14a: I think the term “English Rose” for a beauty pre-dates Elton John’s “Goodbye England’s Rose”.

4. Bryan says:

Many thanks Uncle Yap and also Gordius for a truly wonderful puzzle.

I managed to complete it without resorting to the Cheat facility even though 3d was a new one to me. It was guessable from the clue as – in my opinion – all obscurities should be.

I consider 7d, 11a and 17d the best of a great bunch even if 17d was a wee bit naughty.

5. rrc says:

I raised a smile for 8d and 7d but otherwise quite a tedious solve.

6. Scarpia says:

Thanks Uncle Yap.
    A pretty good puzzle from Brummie I thought,making good use of a (wide ranging)theme.
    I’ve always thought that “English rose” dates from Tudor times,but there are probably earlier references[as someone here will no doubt point out :)].
    Cowslip and primrose are totally different plants,although both from the primula family,but I see that primrose can be used as a common name for cowslip.
    Don’t understand the motor racing reference for “toy”(in 7 down),just thought of “toy poodle”.
    Top clues for me 21 across and 7 down.

7. Martin H says:

You seem to be pioneering the Baroque style of blogging, UY – Elton John, Guinness (with sound effect), Ferrari, the cement mixer, the PEE thesaurus and so on – and all for a rather uninspiring puzzle! PEDIGREE was good, and RANSOMED grim, with the most of the rest sound but pretty run-of-the-mill. Better than yesterday though.

8. Myrvin says:

For me, not as tricky as previous Brummie’s. 3d took a while. Not heard of 5a, but it had to be. I didn’t understand 24d – the use of IT for sex you say. 21a was the last to go in – as is often the case for me with the 4 letter ones – cowslip without Daisy eh? I agree with Scarpia about ‘toy’. Also ‘lotto’ is the new lottery as well as the old Bingo.

9. tupu says:

Thanks Uncle Yap and Brummie (Bryan NB)

An enjoyable puzzle though rather a lot (4) of hidden answers.

I got 21 but did not understand it. Hastily wondered if there might be a poor pun on ‘asleep’/dazy and passed on – I should know better.

I knew Montbretia (a good clue) but had to check the spelling.

Many other pleasing clues – inc. 21 now I get it – e.g. 25, 27, 4, 8, 17!.

Stentor (in 22) was one of the Greek army attacking Troy in Homer’s Iliad and renowned for his loud voice. On checking this bit of trivia, I see he died in a shouting contest with Hermes (like him a ‘messenger’ but of the gods) – and (further trivia) I am suddenly reminded of another ‘historic failure’, Morgan Earp (Wyatt’s brother) who goaded someone into a gunfight and was shot dead!

10. cholecyst says:

Thanks, UY. A pleasing puzzle which didn’t delay too long my gardening efforts. I was going to complain about 5 dn – wrong spelling and wrong plural (should be FETTUCCINE) but see that Chambers has 3 different spellings incl. the one used by Brummie, so I won’t.

11. Bryan says:

Oops, thanks Tupu, Brummie was the Setter!

12. otter says:

I enjoyed this one. Found it a little trickier than several of the recent puzzles, certainly until I found a way in and got going (TYPO and TEDDY BOY for me), which led me to 1a. Had never heard of a boomer, but remember buying bloomers from the baker as a child. So worked back from there.

I’m not so familiar with Brummie’s puzzles so sometimes find his way of constructing clues more difficult to get into. Not a complaint at all, but I think it’s why I sometimes am slow to get started with his puzzles.

English rose certainly predates Diana, and The Jam used it before Elton John.

I took the sense of 21a to be ‘A bloomer, although not of the daisy (ie flower) type, but of the underwear type, which is also a different type of bloomer, ie a mistake’. If you see what I mean.

13. otter says:

Oh, I meant to say that I made a few 1 acrosses of my own while trying to solve this one.

14. Ian says:

Thanks Uncle Yap.

A stern test for me as is always the case with Eddie’s fiendish clueing!

When I read the clues back once the grid was complete, it confirms, as UY said, how very Ximenean in style it was.

Typical of his clueing was NIGH-T at 23dn showing quite unusal wordplay.

Opera a real no-no for me so I had to resoert to the Internet to confirm the answer.

72′

15. Ian says:

14 cont………….. to the Britten clue.

16. Scarpia says:

Ian@14 and 15.
    Opera in 3 down? I don’t see any reference to opera.

17. Carrots says:

After days of indifference I groaned with relief and delight (as my lawn did from welcome rain) at this puzzle. No Adam`s Ale for me though: this was a treat and took no fewer than two-and-a-half pintas of Bateman`s XB at lunchtime to finish it. The last one (21 ac)I guessed at and am indebted to the foregoing explanations.

18. Huw Powell says:

A fun little romp that steadily (but slowly) yielded answers. Gave up with SHRINKING VIOLET missing, but I see the clue was completely fair. Even MONTBRIETTA was fair, not knowing what it was, since once the crossers were in it was the only possible way to arrange the letters that could be pronounced.

One small comment – in 25060 we had “nisi”, whatever that is, I suppose it is “something”. But what on earth does “Brho” mean?

Thanks Brummie and Uncle Yap!

19. Huw Powell says:

Correction to 18; MONTBRETIA, doh!

20. Huw Powell says:

Oh, and SLIP could refer to the type of bloomer that is women’s underwear, couldn’t it?

21. Roger says:

Huw, if you happen to look in again at some point, (and are still interested !), Brno is the second largest city in the Czech Republic.
    Ain’t Google wonderful.