Independent 7412 by Hypnos

Posted by NealH on July 19th, 2010

NealH.

I found this fairly straightforward apart from the two down the right-hand edge, neither of which I fully understand. There were a few arty clues, although probably not enough to constitute a full theme. The clues I did follow were very good, 10 across probably my favourite.

1 Coalesce: Ales in [s]occe[r]*.
5 Elicit: E + licit.
9 Reminder: Re Minder (eighties TV series with Dennis Waterman).
10 Swivel: W in levis<.
12 Venus De Milo: (Menus I loved)*.
15 Gusto: Hidden in august office.
17 Anecdotal: Deacon* + tal[k].
18 Inelegant: [F]ine leg (cricket fielding position) + ant.
19 Rodin: Robin with b replaced by d.
20 Sierra Leone: Err a Leo in sine.
24 Mirage: Mi + rage.
25 White Lie: Whit + eli[t]e.
26 Take to: Hom of “take two”.
27 Operates: [C]ope + rates.
1 Caravaggio: (A vicar agog)*.
2 Administer: Mini in ads + ter.
3 Ennis: Sinne[r].
4 Creme Caramel: Creel around camera* + m[eringue].
6 Low Loader: (Road well)* around o.
7 Cove: Odd letters of “cool view”.
8 Toll: “Cost in damage ? It could be found in change”. Cost is probably the def, but not sure of the rest.
11 Directorship: Di[g] + rectors + hip.
13 Studio Flat: (Lads outfit)*.
14 Blunderers: “Group containing number of French and Irish mostly, group involved in trip?”. I assume the number of French is un and Irish mostly is ers[e], but don’t see the group.
16 Oversight: Sigh in overt. Def is supervision.
21 Later: La[ugh]ter.
22 Omit: Address to college = “O, MIT”.
23 Trek: Hidden, rev in walker tirelessly.

10 Responses to “Independent 7412 by Hypnos”

1. sidey says:

8 Bells toll and are rung in changes.

14 BLUR [a modern beat combo] around UN [Fr number] DE [Fr of] +ERS[e]

2. NealH says:

I thought about Blur, but I don’t see how it works. That would give you two Us and there is only one in blunderers.

3. NealH says:

I see it now – it’s just number (n), de (of French) in Blur ers[e].

I fancy BLUNDERERS to be BLUR around N (number) DE (of French)ERS (mostly ERSE). I have to say it’s not the most elegant clue I’ve ever solved. The rest was good: I liked SWIVEL and SIERRA LEONE in particular.

Beat me to it, Neal. Since I couldn’t see it, I’d put in PLUNDERERS, on the basis that they go off on a trip when they do that rape and pillage stuff. Thanks for the blog, btw.

6. pat says:

8d. TOLL as in bell-ringing, where the term CHANGE appears…

7. walruss says:

Had this one for lunch, and came to 15 Squred with exactly the same query! Very nice puzzle, as usual in The Indy.

8. Martin H says:

I parsed 14 like KD, which works fine, but I don’t like the definition ‘group involved in trip’: surely a group of blunderers (or even blunderers as a class/group) would be involved in trips, not trip; unless they all contrived to stumble or bang into a number of lampposts at the same time – but then they wouldn’t really be blunderers.

9. Scarpia says:

Thanks Neal.
    I didn’t find this as easy as you but thought it was a pretty good puzzle.
    I always enjoy a puzzle with a wide range of references which this one certainly had.Artists,sculptors,80′s T.V. programmes,British pop groups,cricket, – a fairly diverse list!
    Favourite clues for me – 1 and 20 across and 14 down.

10. nmsindy says:

V enjoyable puzzle, agree with those who say it was quite tough with some intricate, but v precise wordplay.