Independent 7,417/Dac

Posted by Ali on July 21st, 2010

Ali.

Very much a puzzle of 2 halves for me, specifically a pretty easy top half and a much, much harder bottom half. Nevertheless, fantastic clues as always from Dac, 24A being my pick of the bunch.

1 DABBLE – B and B in DALE
4 CHIP SHOP – C(onstant) + S(on) in HIP-HOP
9 FILING – 1 in FLING
10 CLARINET – IN in CLARET
12 AGORA – Double def. AGORA is a marketplace and an Israeli unit of currency
13 PROUSTIAN – (IN A STUPOUR)*
14 CHAPTERHOUSE – CHAP + (OTHER) * + USE
18 ORTHODONTIST – (DIRT ON TOOTH’S)*
21 HEATHENRY – HEAT on HENRY
23 ARGAN – N AGRA rev.
24 CAFE NOIR – O (love) + 1 in (FRANCE)* – A lovely &lit.
25 GODIVA – GO DIVA!
26 SALLYING – ALLY in SING
27 BEETLE – Double def.
1 DEFIANCE – DE + FIANCE
2 BALMORAL – (ROAM)* in BALL
3 LANCASTER – A ST. in LANCER
5 HELLO GOODBYE – Cryptic def.
6 PARIS – RI (leaders of Revolution In) in PAS
7 HANG IN – Hidden in cHANGINg
8 PATENT – PA + TENT
11 APPREHENSION – Double def.
15 SINGAPORE – GAP (Gulf) + OR(egon) + E on SIN
16 JINGOIST – I.N.G in JOIST
17 STONE AGE – ONE in STAGE
19 WHACKS – Double def.
20 EARFUL – [-f]EARFUL
22 HONEY – H(usband) + ONE + Y(en)

7 Responses to “Independent 7,417/Dac”

Thanks, Ali. I had exactly the same experience as you – solved the top half more or less on first pass, then really struggled with the bottom half and in fact couldn’t finish three or four. There were two or three where I thought ‘that’s not a great clue’ but then of course when you see the subtlety of what’s going on, you realise that Dac is up to his usual high standard.

CAFE NOIR and ORTHODONTIST were very good. I had TEARFUL rather than FEARFUL at 20dn for the definition of ‘upset’, not that it really matters.

2. walruss says:

Had a pleasant lunchtime with Dac, with 24 across for me too the pick of the bunch. Fireworks yesterday, another facet today!! Who will we see tomorrow?

3. Derrick Knight says:

Agree with above. Bottom half much harder. Superb puzzle. CAFE NOIR magnificent.

4. Scarpia says:

Thanks Ali.
    Haven’t been a regular Indie solver for very long (except Saturdays),but I have come to greatly respect Dac as a solver.He seems to be a regular Wednesday feature and every puzzle is to a consistently high standard.
    Always a good mix of clue devices and usually one or two corkers in each puzzle e.g. 21 and 24 across.
    I don’t remember seeing any criticism of Dac’s puzzles here,which must be a telling point as we are a pretty picky bunch!

5. flashling says:

Glad I wasn’t the only one to have a top half easy bottom not quite so day. Thought of Singapore quite early but even at the end couldn’t justify it so thanks Ali (and Dac)

6. Merlyn says:

Kicking myself over 21 and 24, each of which I half got. Missed several others in the bottom part too.

7. nmsindy says:

Great as always from Dac, who is indeed a Wed regular. Very tough SE corner. Favourite clues, CAFE NOIR and GODIVA