Financial Times 13,445 / IO

Posted by shuchi on July 23rd, 2010

shuchi.

John Henderson (IO) is getting married to Jane Teather (known in crossword circles as jetdoc) today. This puzzle is a tribute.

15A sets the theme of the puzzle and 12 other clues refer to various famous Janes. A couple of clues hint towards weddings, and 1A has Jane’s surname as the answer.

I have thoroughly enjoyed solving and blogging about this special puzzle. The clues are very well-crafted and even those not in the know about the theme would not be any less entertained. Thanks to IO and congratulations to him and Jane.

[I learnt via email from Big Dave that all the five leading daily crosswords - Times, Guardian, Telegraph, Indy and FT - carry tributes for the wedding today.]

Full annotations for 14A, 20A are pending, I look forward to your comments for explanation. //Updated, thanks to Big Dave.

1 *TEATHER
5 *GOODALL GOOD (not bad) ALL (Tom, Dick and Harry)
9 *ASHER ‘was here’ – WE (partners at table, as in bridge)
10 TREATMENT EAT ME (the message on the cake which tempted Alice to eat it and grow tall) in TR[ucule]NT
11 UNSPOILT (PILOT)* following (SUN)*, with the definition cleverly standing for the airline on the surface.
12 *AUSTEN A (absent) US (members of FT setting team) TEN (10)
14 MARKETEER MARKER (exam he’ll assess) around ETE (‘summer’ in French)
15 *JANE hidden in ‘AzerbaiJAN Easily’
18 *EYRE R (Romeo) in EYE
20 *LAPOTAIRE (AT OP)< in LAIR E (den number 5)
24 *NORMAN NORM (standard) AN (article)
25 ARKANSAN ARK (collection of beasts), S[tatesman] in ANAN (famous panda). My last entry in the grid. I knew I’d need online help for the famous panda’s name but even Wikipedia’s list was unhelpful. I did find AnAn’s picture eventually.
27 ENDOPLASM (OLD MAN ESP)*
28 INTRO INTO (very keen) around R (right)
29 *RUSSELL hidden reversed in ‘VaudeviLLE’S SURe’
30 *SEYMOUR sounds like ‘see more’ (look again). Jane Seymour was the third wife of  Henry VIII of England.

1 TEACUP A nice double cd – there maybe leaves at the bottom of a teacup, and there may be a “storm in a teacup”.
2 APHASIA A PH (public house i.e. pub) ASIA (continent). Our compilers, wizards at the use of language, would not have this feature. Symmetrically placed with 7D which is about solvers.
3 *HORROCKS HR (60 mins), around O (round) ROCKS (ice, slang for diamonds)
4 RATTLETRAP (LATTER PART)*
5 *GREY ‘Grey’ goes after ‘Earl’ in the name of the tea. Lady Jane Grey’s rule was ‘short-lived’ – less than two weeks, the shortest rule of England in its history.
6 OPT OUT OP (work) TOUT (solicitor)
7 AMENTIA AMEN (to conclude), I in TA (gratification). Some of my non-solver friends argue that obsession with crosswords is a sign of mental impairment but I’m happier to believe IO’s take on it.
8 LITANIES (LATINISE)*
13 VELODROMES (OVER MODELS)*
16 REINDEER REIN (check) DEER (sounds like ‘dear’ i.e. expensive). Santa’s reindeer pull the sleight carrying Christmas presents. One of my favourite clues today.
17 *CALAMITY A LAM (beat) in CITY (business center)
19 REREDOS REDO (perform again) in RES (understudies). Reredos is a screen or decoration behind the altar in a church. Here is a picture.
21 RISOTTO OTTO (German given name) SIR (master), all reversed
22 *MARPLE PR (priest) reversed in MALE (Gents)
23 ON TOUR ONTO (having got whiff of) UR (old city)
26 EARL [y]EARL[y] (annually, curtailed)

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,445 / IO”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

Normally I am not very good at completing an IO crossword. That’s mainly because his puzzles, not only as IO, are so multi-layered (as I always call it).

Today, though, is a Special Day.
    And see, I solved the crossword without any blanks left!

All these Janes did help, of course, although I had to check two of them (HORROCKS, LAPOTAIRE) of which I had never heard.

What I especially liked about this crossword [apart from it being topical] were the indirect definitions in several clues.
    For example, in MARKETEER, TEACUP, REINDEER and the pair of 2d/7d.

Thank you, shuchi, for your festive blog.
    Only 1ac (TEATHER) needs more explanation, I guess?
    E (Tab) inside (THREAT)* – E being Ecstasy = Tab? [not familiar with that]
    Also not familiar with RE = ‘understudy’ (in 19d), but I assume it stands for ‘reserve’?

Truly entertaining puzzle.
    And now for Enigmatist and Nimrod (saw only a glimpse of that puzzle – promising a lot of fun).
    [or do I have to buy the Telegraph and the Times too today? - what a tribute, 5 puzzles on one day!]

Cheers to the Happy Couple!

2. Rishi says:

Sil
    I think tab is short for tablet. I guess the drug comes in tablet form.

3. JamesM says:

Sil

If you have not yet bought The Times, rush out and do! It is a cracking puzzle which I struggled with and solved after an hour. Well worth trying, and quite different to this one.

4. Scarpia says:

Thanks shuchi.
    This was a lot easier than the Guardian and Indie puzzles but no less enjoyable.I think a third puzzle at that degree of difficulty would have short circuited my brain!
    25 across was my last as well,but I well remember An-An and the attempt to mate him with London Zoo’s Chi-Chi
    Top clues for me 10 and 11 across and 16 down.

5. Uncle Yap says:

What a fantastic day of Henderson clues. This one in FT is just as entertaining and challenging as those in the Times, Guardian and Independence. Alas, I do not have access to the Telegraph. Anyone here can send a copy to [email protected]?

6. Bannsider says:

First FT puzzle I’ve done in ages – probably years.
    Impressive to get so many Janes in. The wordplay for TREATMENT defeated me I am ashamed to say …

Marvellous stuff Mr H …

Uncle Yap, if you are still stuck for the DT puzzle I can reconstruct for you and send. Let me know.
    [email protected]