Independent 7418 by Glow-Worm

Posted by NealH on July 26th, 2010

NealH.

A pleasant, not too demanding crossword from Glow-Worm. Most of the clues were fairly straightforward, although there were a couple I’m not entirely confident of.

9 Roof racks: “Of RA” in rocks.
10 Irate: [P]irate.
11 Steward: Not entirely sure if this is an &lit or the def is just “One supplying”. Perhaps a bit of both. Anyway, it’s stew (=casserole) + [bo]ard – the leading letters of board (the bow) removed.
13 Rev: DD, rev being a brief version of revolution. I did think for a long time it must be ver<.
14 Tea Strainer: &lit. (Near taster)* around I.
17 Forgo: Hom of four go.
18 Ann: [Schum]ann (losing much* and S).
19 Loess: E[urotunnel] in loss.
21 Repleteness: (Petrels seen)*.
23 Elm: L in [tel]em[ark].
24 Nairobi: Iran* + obi, obi being a variant spelling of obeah, a type of African witchcraft.
26 Chariot: Char + iot[a].
27 Etude: [N]ud[e] in été (French word for summer).
28 Gorbachev: Breach* in gov.
1 Cross References: Cross (=ill-humoured) + references (=testimonials). Def = redirects.
2 Moreover: More (as in Sir Thomas More) + over.
3 Breastbone: (Barnes to be)*.
4 Iced: I think this must be a quadruple definition. Frosted and candied seem reasonable, but not sure about chopped and sold.
5 Assistance: I + stance under ass.
6 Disc: Hidden, reversed in “soporific sidewinders”. Def = “It’s problematic to slip” i.e. slipped disc in the spine.
7 Damson: Dam + son.
8 Heir Presumptive: (Their supreme VIP)*.
15 Awakenings: [R]ake in awnings.
16 Able Seaman: [C]ables + (mean a)*.
20 Eyesight: Eight around yes.
22 Primus: DD, referring to primus stove and primus used as meaning first in prescriptions.
25 Omen: [W]omen.
26 Cure: DD, curé being a French word for a priest.

14 Responses to “Independent 7418 by Glow-Worm”

1. Gaufrid says:

Hi Neal
    You have a few too many letters in your answer to 18ac. ;-)

4dn is *(C[and]IED) with ‘chopped’ the anagram indicator, ‘sold’ the removal indicator and just a single definition ‘frosted’.

Thank you, Neal, and Glowworm for an enjoyable solve.

I read 4dn as ‘frosted’ (def = iced), ‘candied’ (chopped ‘and’ leaving cied) then sold as an anagrind giving ICED. I’m not sold on sold as an anagrind, but setters seem to be boldly going in this respect recently.

I did appreciate this: just about the right level of challenge for me with a good variety of clueing devices. ROOFRACKS and INCISOR were my favourites today.

If I may have a rant, this took me far more time than it should have done because the online facility seemed to be back in the days of 56K dial-up connection today – taking ages to respond and freezing regularly. Also, the puzzle didn’t appear until after 1100 – before that it was showing the Nimrod wedding special from Friday.

Since our village shop shut, I haven’t been able to easily buy the paper and I’ve been obliged to get my fix online most days, so it’s frustrating when it goes haywire. Did others have the same experience?

End of rant.

Thanks Gaufrid, that makes sense the other way round for ICED. I’m sold on the anagrind now.

4. scarpia says:

Thanks Neal.
    A good puzzle I thought with some nice misdirections and inventive anagrams.
    Favourite clues for me 9 and 24 across and 8 down.

Hi Kathryn’s Dad,
    Same for me,I’ve been trying to access the puzzle since just after midnight and when it eventually appears it’s on a go slow.
    I usually have to reload the page to get a usable grid,but once done the speed is usually o.k.
    Software on the Guardian site is much better!

5. NealH says:

You’re lucky to be able to use the online version at all. If I try to access it from work, all I get is:

Error reading crossword file. Check /independent.co.uk/editorial/xword/c_26071.

The Guardian works beautifully, of course.

Okay, not just me then. I have to agree though – now that it’s settled down after the revamp, the Guardian site is much more user-friendly and glitch-free. I’m sure it’s down to resources and I think eimi’s mentioned previously that he’s been campaigning on this front.

The puzzles are consistently better on this side though, imho, and the debate more restrained (usually …)

7. sidey says:

Those with problems might find it worth checking whether they have up to date Java software. Simplest way here http://www.javatester.org/version.html

8. RayFolwell says:

Thanks for the explanation of ICED.

I read 22D as referring to the public school practice (given in Chambers) of referring to the eldest Jones as “Jones Primus”. If my memory of Billy Bunter is correct, he could also be “Jones Major”.

9. toms mum says:

Thank – you Glow worm – this is the first Independent crossword I have completed – I am over the moon fav.clue was 27A .

To T’s M from K’s D – well done! I remember how pleased I was as well the first time I managed an Independent puzzle, and it wasn’t that long ago. Enjoy solving some more of them and keep coming back here to tell us how you’re getting on.

11. Scarpia says:

Well said K’s D and well done T’s M.
    You have every right to be over the moon as this wasn’t an easy puzzle by any means.

12. BertandJoyce says:

Logged on to check the explanation for 16D – it was rather late!

Couldn’t agree more with comments about the Grauniad online software. We’ve made comments before on this site. The Indie crosswords are so much better and we do have the dead tree variety. However when we are on holiday abroad we try and get our regular fix online. It can be so frustrating. At least with the Grauniad you can save the page and see all the clues. Either way you don’t have to keep scrolling up and down. Not that easy when you are working as a twosome!

Sympathy for Kathryn’s Dad. They used to offer a postal service some years ago if you subscribed.

13. BertandJoyce says:

They still do!!

14. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the blog, NealH. Enjoyable puzzle which I found on the easy side, thanks for explaining ANN which I did not quite see how it worked but I should have.