Azed 1991 – Ars Magna

Posted by petebiddlecombe on August 1st, 2010

petebiddlecombe.

Azed 1991 – Ars Magna

Clues led to two words which were anagrams of each other – the definition provided one, and the wordplay the other.
In the lists below, the definition word is shown first, the wordplay one second. In the acrosses, the wordplay word was entered in the grid, and in the downs, the definition one.

(Posted after leaving a placeholder – 4 comments preceded this version)

1 PETROL STATION TORTOISE-PLANT TOR(TOISE,PLAN)T
10 HEAR RHEA hidden word
12 NAIAD DIANA rev. of AN AID
14 PRIEST STRIPE ST.,RIPE
15 SILENE ENSILE E,N(‘S)ILE – Silene is a genus of flowering plants or a member of the genus
16 SCRATTLE CLATTERS C.(LATTER)S.
18 MARAH HARAM HAR(A)M – HARAM is a variant of harem, MARAH is Hebrew for bitterness
19 RETRORSE RESORTER RESORT,E.R. – RETRORSE = turned back
20 BASIL LABIS LAB(I)S – labis is the “eucharistic spoon” used in Orthodox churches
24 IRONINGS NIGROSIN GIN rev., ROSIN – nigrosin is a blackish dye
27 NAEVE VEENA V(E)ENA – the veena/vina is an Indian stringed instrument
29 CAPSTONE OPENCAST OP(ENCAS(e))T
31 ALEGAR LAAGER L(A)AGER
32 MAPPER PREAMP PRE(AM.)P
33 GESTE EGEST e.g.,EST
34 GOES SEGO S=section,EGO=I
35 REMONSTRATION ARISTON METRON ARIS,TONMETR=torment*,ON=against – ariston metron is Greek for “golden mean”

1 TRICHINELLA TILLER-CHAIN TI(LLERCHAI=(I’ll reach)*)N
2 RETARD DARTRE DART,RE
3 TARTAN RATTAN RA(TT,A)N – TARTAN is the best-known brand of all-weather running tracks
4 OBIT BITO BIT=gripped,O – bito is an Afrian and Asian tree
5 STERE REEST TREES = forest, with the T moved
6 PINTOS PISTON SIP rev.,(displacement) TON
7 LASER ARLES hidden word – laser2 is a plant juice, and arles is an archaic term for a preliminary payment
8 ANIL LAIN LAIN = “lane”
9 THE CREATION THEOCRITEAN THE OC(RIT)EAN – Theocritean = in the manner of Theocritus, the greatest of the Greek pastoral poets, apparently
11 OPERA PAREO PARE,O – pareo/pareu is a unisex wraparound skirt in Polynesia
13 ALPEENS SPELEAN S(PELE)AN – spelean = relating to caves, alpeens are Irish cudgels
17 LAMINAE AMALINE A L(MA)INE – Almaine is a term for Germany
20 LOWEST TOWELS WE in SLOT rev.
21 INERM MINER MINE,R(ose) – inerm = unarmed/thornless
22 RECAST TRACES ‘T RACES is the jokey destination of the Doncaster folk. (Apologies for missing this out in the original version).
23 SEAMER AMEERS A,M,E’ER,S=special
25 RAGES SARGE SA(R)GE
26 IPPON POP-IN POPIN(jay) – nice bluff with “jay”, which could have just been the letter J
28 RAGI GAIR G,AIR – gair is the same as gore2 – an area of land – Kensington Gore is presumably the best known example – ragi is a kind of millet
30 NETE TEEN hidden word – NETE is a barred grid favourite – the highest string of the lyre

15 Responses to “Azed 1991 – Ars Magna”

1. Myrvin says:

Nowhere near finishing this.
    Also, lost some saved answers, so I don’t even know how well I didn’t do.
    At least, got 1a 12a 15a 27a
    And 1d (I think)6d 7d 8d 25d 28d 30d.
    9d ought to have TRENCH at the front.
    35a has ARSE in it??
    Note to self: Press ‘save’ more often.

2. Bob Sharkey says:

I put off doing this until yesterday, as I have been busy with other things, but found it easier than anticipated. I preferred it to a recent puzzle with all hidden anagrams – this gave the solver something extra, that is the need to identify the type of subsidiary in every clue.

Myrvin, you are wrong about 9d, and only half right about 35a.

3. David Mansell says:

9d starts with “the” and “arse” is not the Cockney for bum though it does begin with “ar..”.

4. Andrew Kitching says:

I needed bit of help to get started on this. A tough ‘non-comp’ puzzle- do we know whether entries are higher or lower in non-comp’ weeks?
    I thought it an interesting device and I hope AZED does another one- it must be a beast to set something like this.

5. petebiddlecombe says:

Dim memory suggests this may not be the first Azed puzzle like this, but I can’t quote a number for a previous example. 35’s “Aris” is the most tortured bit of Cockney rhyming slang going: bottle & glass = “arse” so bottle = arse – not too remarkable yet.
    Then you rhyme Aristotle with bottle, and drop the back end(!) of Aristotle to leave “aris”.

6. Myrvin says:

You put me out of my misery Pete.
    I now find even some of those I thought I had right were not.
    ARIS for arse – thanks for the hint David – but it didn’t help because I had down clues wrong. I have always been suspicious of the rhyming slang derivation for this. This slang was meant to be code. I know it’s in Chambers, but what is the point of having a code word that is so similar to the real word? I always thought it was invented in “Minder” or suchlike. Not yet in the OED I note.
    Did today’s quite quickly.
    Sigh!

7. David Mansell says:

22 dn is missing. I got “recast” but I can’t explain it.

8. David Mansell says:

Although it could be an attempt at a Yorkshire pronunciation of “to the races” : to ” ‘t races”.

9. Bob Sharkey says:

22d *(t’races)

10. Bob Sharkey says:

Sorry, t’ represents ‘the’, not ‘to’.

11. David Mansell says:

That’s why I put ‘t races” in inverted commas. The ‘t is appended to the preceding word with a slight pause before the noun. I live in Yorkshire.

12. Bob Sharkey says:

My fault, David. I posted on sight of post 7 only, by which time you had posted 8.

13. David Mansell says:

Thanks Bob, we both got to the same place in our own ways!

14. Scarpia says:

Thanks Pete.
    “Great Work” from Azed as usual – I love his specials(except for the hated Printer’s Devils),the extra twist making for a more satisfying solve.
    The clues usually seem to be a bit easier which makes it fair to the solver.
    Some excellent anagrams here especially 1 across and 9 down.

15. Mark says:

Thanks Peter. Took nearly two weeks and I nearly got there. Had Riga instead of ragi that made LAAGER and Ariston impossible. I knew Aris, so was on the right lines looking for the anagram. Otherwise only retrorse beat me. So I’ve now got two days to get 1992 done….