Financial Times 13,454 / Neo

Posted by Agentzero on August 3rd, 2010

Agentzero.

This Neo puzzle didn’t take too long, although I learned a new word (14 across). No complaints and some clever clues.

1 ACADEMIA ME reversed in ACADIA (Atlantic Provinces).  Whence the Cajuns of Louisiana fame.
6 ESPIAL *(PIES) + AL[l]
9 RAISIN RA (artist) IS IN (available)
10 TETRARCH T[ime] + *(CHARTER)
11 ERGO OGRE (flesh-eating giant) reversed
12 PRECAUTION *(ERUPTION AC[count])
14 PIS ALLER LL (students) E (English) in *(PARIS)
16 ELAN ELAND (antelope) minus D (many)
18 MINI hidden in rooM IN Islington
19 PHARISEE H (hot) ARISE (spring) in PE (Peru)
21 SPANISH FLY SPANISH (some Europeans) FLY (go by air)
22 APSE P (piano) in A SE (corner, i.e., southeast)
24 STARFISH *(HAS FIRST)
26 ANIMAL LA (in Paris, the) MINA (Harker woman), all reversed.  Nee Murray, the heroine of Bram Stoker’s Dracula.
27 MYSORE MY (compiler’s) SORE (angry)
28 TV DINNER cd

2 CHAIR HAI (“yes” in Japanese, hence “confirmation from Tokyo”) in CR (credit)
3 DISLOCATION DIS (underworld god) + O[ld] CAT (feline) in LION (big one, i.e., feline)
4 MONOPOLY MO (second) NO (refusal) POLY (college)
5 AT THE DROP OF A HAT *(FATHER HAD POTATO)
6 ENTRAP PARTNE[r] (team-mate, almost) reversed
7 PEA P[ower] followed by first letters of Electrical Activity
8 ANCHORAGE dd.  This was very nice I thought.  A “road” is a sheltered area of water, e.g. Carrick Roads in Cornwall or Hampton Roads in Virginia
13 TREPIDATION *(TRIO PAINTED)
15 IDIOPATHY I (one) + OP (surgery) in *(DAY HIT)
17 MARYLAND MARY (Godmother (!)) LAND (property)
20 ASPIRE AS (when) + R (king) in PIE (confusion)
23 SPARE dd
25 RIO RIOT (rebellion) minus T (team leader)

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,454 / Neo”

1. Conrad Cork says:

Thanks Agentzero. Agreed that there were somehighly ingenious clues.

2. Sil van den Hoek says:

Many thanks for blogging, Agentzero, and I fully agree with your conclusions.

This crossword was immaculately clued, even though initially I had some doubts about that – because, for a change, I didn’t fully understand some definitions.
    Always thought that DIS was just the underground, but it was indeed a God too.
    Had to think about ASPIRE = ‘rise up’, but again perfectly alright.
    In 2d I was focused on seeing CHAIR too long as ‘a control meeting’ (a noun), instead of ‘to control meeting’ (a verb).
    I didn’t know ‘road’ for ANCHORAGE, but now I do know, it’s a rather clever clue.
    When I saw 22ac, my first thought was CHAP (CH+A+P), but – I know – wrong thought!
    [but I liked the fact that there's a construction possible in this clue that's not leading to the right answer]

Outstanding clues for me perhaps two short ones, ELAN and PEA, both very well constructed with lovely surfaces.

Yep, good crossword, mr B!

3. walruss says:

Very well-clued, so that even the French expression is easily solved. Enjoyable lunch-time fare, together with a roast-beef sandwich from the deli!

4. Scarpia says:

Thanks Agentzero.
    Pretty good crossword from Neo with some unusual vocabulary.Didn’t know IDIOPATHY or HAI(in 2 down)but both were gettable from the wordplay and check letters.
    17 down:I may be wrong about this(being a heathen!) but wasn’t Mary the mother of Jesus who was (supposedly) the Son of God? :)
    Favourite clues for me,8 down and 26 across.

5. Agentzero says:

Hi Scarpia

Yes, that’s what Neo (cheekily) meant by “Godmother.” Took me a moment to see that, I was looking for FAIRY at first.

6. Neo says:

Hypostases, man. If you’re into it – I confess I am not, at this time.

Many thanks to the Zero, and to all for comments. Cheers!