Independent 7,428/Phi

Posted by Ali on August 6th, 2010

Ali.

A nice puzzle from Phi to finish off the week. There was nothing too tricky here, but equally absolutely nothing to complain about, just a batch of very neat, very elegantly written clues.

1 GHETTO BLASTER – (GATHER BOTTLE’S)*
9 LASER – LA + SER(ies)
10 RAT POISON – (OP[-e]RATIONS)*
11 RALEIGH – ALE in RIGH[-t]
12 ONGOING – ON + GO IN + G(overnment)
13 INNS – IN NS (North + South)
14 LA FONTAINE – (NATIONAL FA[-b]LE)*
17 HELICOPTER – (THE POLICE)* + R(un)
19 PROCURE – PRO CURE
22 SPAM – A in MPs rev.
23 RUN DOWN – Double def.
23 CHICANERY – CHIC + ER in ANY
24 OMAGH – MAG in OH!
25 EGYPTOLOGICAL – (TYPICAL GOOGLE)*
1 GALBRAITH – (GIRL + A BATH)*
2 EPSILON – NO LISPE rev.
3 TORPID – TOP I.D around R(iver)
4 BIRTHDAY PRESENT – (BAD PARENT THIS YEAR)* without two As
5 ASTRONOMER ROYAL – (STARRY MOOR ALONE)*
6 THOUGHTS – THOUGH + T[-enuou]S
7 ROSSINI – I think this is [-C]ROSS + 1 N(ote), but not sure where the extra I comes in
8 SNAG – G(ood) ANS(wer) rev.
15 EMMENTHAL – MEN in (HAMLET)*
16 ACCURACY – A C(ollege) CURACY
18 LIONISE – ON IS(land) in LIE
20 PROSAIC – ROSA in PIC
21 ON SONG – ON[-e] + SON + G(ood)
22 PUCK – PLUCK less L[-ysander]

11 Responses to “Independent 7,428/Phi”

1. NealH says:

Rossini is “is sor[e]< about i n".

A lovely crossword, I thought. As you say, nothing too difficult, but most of the clues were quite satisfying to work out. I was held up for about a second by putting accurate rather than accuracy. I'm not entirely sure what a torpid is, but it seems to be some sort of Oxford University boat race. I was also a bit puzzled why a helicopter should be defined as a "surveillance device", although it could be used for that purpose.

Thanks, Ali. Agree with you entirely – gentle but well-clued end to the working week. Didn’t understand ROSSINI either, but someone will put us right, no doubt.

3. beermagnet says:

I parsed 7D as: (IS SOR[e])< (1 N)<
    SORE rather than CROSS for aggrieved, and tricky to decypher due to the serial double reversal (IYSWIM)

4. NealH says:

I don’t think you need the 1 n reversed and the clue indicates it’s just the “is sor[e]” that’s backwards – is mostly aggrieved, upset, about one note.

5. beermagnet says:

I now see why I didn’t get CHICANERY – which I should’ve.
    Early on I put PERI for 22D from PERI[l] and didn’t doubt it when I couldn’t think of anything to fit 24A. I agree PLUCK is nearer DARING than PERIL, but (daring/danger/peril) isn’t far off.

And now I’ve seen Neal’s #1 (I must re-blink before posting) I agree with his decoding of ROSSINI – “about” is most likely an inclusion indicator rather than a reversal ind.

6. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the blog, Ali. Guess most got ROSSINI from definition before wordplay. Agree that it’s IS SOR(e) all reversed about I N (one note). Enjoyable puzzle, which I too found straightforward. The wordplay in 3D led v clearly to TORPID, but the only meanings I knew were totally different. So looked it up – it’s in Chambers, a second boat at Oxford – always nice to learn something new.

7. Petero says:

I agree with the other comments on ROSSINI.
    14A LA FONTAINE is (national f[abl]e)*

8. Myrvin says:

Tried to cut & paste this one to take away to do.
    Missed off the last 2 across clues.
    Guessed Omagh, but had to do a dict search when I came home for 25a. Annoying, since I have been interested in the subject for decades.
    MAde more difficult by choosing ACCURATE over ACCURACY.

9. Scarpia says:

Thanks Ali.
    Another very good puzzle from Phi.
    As usual no controversy,which must be a sign of a well clued puzzle.
    I was another who entered ACCURATE at first and also had to look up TORPID.
    I thought 5 down was brilliant,the sort of anagram I love,the fodder giving a hint of the solution.
    25 across was another neat anagram.
    Nice to see a mention for J.K. Galbraith – should be mandatory reading for finance ministers worldwide!

10. flashling says:

@beermagnet nearly made that mistake on p(l)uck but some spidery sense stopped me for some lucky reason. All in all a fair decent crossword about a pint.

Re rossini must admist I didn’t really check the clue I had all the crossing letters, saw rossini in my mind and a quick glance at the subsiduary parts and my brain just said that’s it. A tad easier than punk’s yesterday methinks.

So tomorrow? a Bannsider give up and go home crossword?

11. Allan_C says:

Yes, a nice easy Phi to start the weekend. I found most of the long anagrams quickly unravelled themselves from just a few checking letters.

NealH@1 – I think the idea a helicopter as a surveillance device comes from its association with the police and makes a good surface for the clue. On the A6 in Derbyshire there is a sign somewhere that reads “Police – Helicopter Traffic Control” or words to that effect. Definitely a surveillance device in that instance.