Independent 7431 by Tyrus

Posted by flashling on August 10th, 2010

flashling.

Tyrus today a relatively gentle introduction for me.

Nina today from Father Ted with quite a few references in the answers too, including their Eurovision song.

7 Anastasia – Hidden backawards in Australi(a is at sana)atorium.
9 Alarm – Al has Arm
11 Impasto – Not sure about this, I can see I and past but don’t get the mo for texting think
12 Geezers – G, see backwards around zer(o)
13 see 18D
15 Horse – Sounds like hoarse.
17 Jack – a flag and target at bowls. Father Jack
18 Fee – Foe with middle changed
19 Dail – Irish parliament, dail(y)
21 Onset – on(opposite) set(crowd)
23 Rub along – just a CD as far as I can tell
26 Glasgow – AS G in glow
28 Touraco – An african bird. (court)* a(ppearance) (d)o
29 Later – alter with first 2 letters switched
31 Lithesome – L (time so he)*

1 Cabin – C AB in
2 Ramp – M(ike) in rap
3 Ashore – A (horse(15))*
4 Gargoyle – Gary (Lineker) around O(wn) G(oal) backwards and LE(ague)
5 Ganesh – (hangs)* around E. Hindu Indian elephant god.
6 Yale – Lock type, ELY back around a
8 Tussock – An new word for me, a clump of grass. (SO stuck)*
10 Misses – Mis(u)ses
14 Yeats – OK a poet but I don’t get the subsiduary bit yet.
16 Reign – Re(s)ign
18/13 Farewell My Lovely – 1940 Novel by Raymond Chandler
19 Delouse – Del Boy and (h)ouse
20 Dougal – (AU Gold)* Father Dougal
22 Tigers – Tiers about G(ov)
24 Batata – Ba(d) Ta-Ta (Farewell)
25 Noted – Famous, Jack Dougal and Mrs Doyle.
27 Anti – Ant (and Dec) I
28 Avon – hidden backwards in (Re)nova(ted)

16 Responses to “Independent 7431 by Tyrus”

Congratulations on your first blog, flashling!

11ac: IMO: in my opinion, text language

14dn: Y [homophone 'reading aloud' of 'why'] + EATS [upsets].

2. pat says:

Not happy with strange words here – BATATA, TOURACO. TUSSOCK I knew…..

3. Gaufrid says:

Thanks flashling.

For those not familiar with the series, its setting appears in the top and bottom rows and the sixth row contains the song title alluded to in flashling’s preamble.

To expand on 25dn, Fathers Jack and Dougal and a homophone of Mrs Doyle appear in the grid but there is NO [father] TED.

I think 21ac is ON (off opposite) SET (crowd) with the definition simply being ‘start’.

Finally, a minor correction. 8dn is SO (very) in *(STUCK).

4. jmac says:

Thank you, Flashing (and Gaufrid) for explaining all that Father Ted stuff which completely passed me by. Thank you Tyrus for a well crafted puzzle with a good range of clues.

i think 14down is Y (WHY out loud) + eats in its sense of upsetting, as in “what’s eating you?”

5. Scarpia says:

Thanks flashling.
    Didn’t find this very easy and the theme/nina went totally over my head – Father Ted??? Who’s He?
    Thanks Gaufrid for elaboration of 25 down I wondered who Jack Douglas and Mrs.Dail were.
    Some very good clues here if somewhat spoiled by a(for me)totally pointless theme – I much preferred Quixote’s Masters of the King’s Music!( Still,you can’t please all the people… etc.).
    Thought GEEZERS and YALE were excellent clues and up to a point 4 down.The wordplay was very clever,using allusions to soccer all through the clue.I haven’t seen the printed version of todays Indie but the online version has the abbreviation MOTD which was totally meaningless to me and is not to be found in any reference book that I can find.Why not “match of the day”?

6. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the great début blog, Flashling. I found this puzzle had a lot of brilliant clues, I also found it extremely difficult. I was slightly familiar with the TV programme tho not a regular watcher. I spotted the Nina in the top and bottom rows all right and that helped me. Not remembering all the characters’ name, checked on Wikipedia and that helped me finish. Not familiar with the Eurovision Song so did not spot that. Though the NOTED idea was really good. Guess the unfamiliar words were forced in by the theme, but all the clueing was scrupulously fair.

7. Stella Heath says:

I’ve been away too long!

I’d never heard of the series, have no idea of English football these days, and can’t for the life of me see how ‘dail’ can be a homophone of ‘Doyle’ – unless for some obscure reason they’re both pronounced ‘dial’.

Anyway, congratulations on your début, flashling. It’s not your fault, or Tyrus’s, that this puzzle was largely double Dutch to me.

Thanks also to Gaufrid for expanding on the theme.

8. Gaufrid says:

Stella
    “… and can’t for the life of me see how ‘dail’ can be a homophone of ‘Doyle’ …”

The setting for the series was a remote fictional island off the west coast of Ireland and I think if both words are pronounced with a broad Irish accent then there is some similarity.

9. Stella Heath says:

Thanks Gaufrid. As I say, I’ve never seen it. I’m beginning to wish I had, it sounds fun.

I do miss British comedy – other types seem so bawdy!

Yes, well done flashling on your debut – thanks for the blog, which I needed! Found this very hard, not being familiar with the series (but to be fair, in TV comedy terms, it’s been very successful apparently). Couldn’t get DOUGAL or NOTED, but managed the rest. Some unfamiliar stuff, certainly, but fair; for me it was just a bit too tricky for a weekday solve, but others have obviously enjoyed the challenge.

DAIL is, I think, the Gaelic word for the Irish house of parliament (it should have an accent on the A but I can’t do them on this machine). To the best of my knowledge it is pronounced as a homophone (or close homophone …) of DOYLE.

11. nmsindy says:

That pronunciation equivalence (Dáil = Doyle) is perfectly correct, confirmed by dicts.

Not sure if that TV series is totally ‘unbawdy’, Stella.

It’s repeated quite a bit, tho the main actor, Dermot Morgan, passed away prematurely quite a while back.

12. flashling says:

Thank for the kind reception and corrections, I should have said about the Dail pronunciation in hindsight in 25 but thought that teaching Grandmother to suck eggs could be bad form. :-)

Father Ted albeit set in a Catholic priest house could certain be rather rude as especially if Fr Jack could get any alcohol but was genuinely funny.

13. Paul B says:

You might not have liked this puzzle at first. But ye will, ye will, ye will, ye will, ye will (cont. p. 94) …

14. Scarpia says:

Stella.
    If you want to see Father Ted it is available on 4oD –

15. Allan_C says:

The theme and nina totally passed me by, but I got everything except ‘noted’, never having watched the series. Sitcoms with gales of canned laughter every few seconds aren’t my scene – I prefer subtle humour that makes one laugh without being prompted.
    I knew the correct pronunciation of dáil but thought the ref to 10d 19a was to the apparent pronunciation of 19a as ‘dale’ – so the heroine (?) of a 1950s radio soap (showing my age there!) and a Jack Dougal that I’d never heard of had me totally mystified at 25d.

16. Stella Heath says:

Thanks for the link, Scarpia, but I’ve a feeling it’s a bit much for my little notebook to handle. I started the download, but stopped when it was obviously taking too long, before giving a chance to shut down my system, as has happened to me before.

Pity!