Financial Times 13,452 by Cincinnus

Posted by Pete Maclean on August 12th, 2010

Pete Maclean.

Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of July 31
This strikes me as a mediocre Cincinnus puzzle (although with Cincinnus, mediocre is still jolly fine). My faves are 13A (MAT), 2D (BRIGHTON), 6D (ELMO) and 17D (HOMESPUN).

9. SARCASTIC – [t]SAR (principal Russian misses opening) + CAST (actors) + IC (in charge)
10. LOIRE – [hol]I[day] in LORE (learning)
11. LEG SPIN – LEGS (supporters) + PIN (fix)
12. TROLLOP – ROLL (get under way) in TOP (best)
13. MAT – M[e] + A[nd] + T[rouble]
14. CASE HISTORY – anagram of YES CHARIOTS
17. HINDI – hidden word
18. CHI – C[orint]H + I (one)
19. ARGUE – A (a) + R[o]GUE (scoundrel omitting nothing)
21. MARIONETTES – anagram of ONE TIME STAR
23. ULM – [m]U[s]L[i]M[s]. This is one of the best clues of this type that I can recall.
25. STAMPED – STAMPED[e] (headlong rush almost made)
27. FORESAW – FORE (verbal warning, as in golf) + SAW (cut)
28. UNLIT – L (line) in UNIT (group of soldiers)
29. NEIL SIMON – anagram of MINE IS ON

1. ASYLUM – A (a) + Y (unknown) in SLUM (squalid district)
2. BRIGHTON – B (British) + RIGHT ON (trendy)
3. CAPPUCCINO – PUCCIN[i] (composer not stopping) in CAPO (leading criminal). “Not starting” would work well for removal of the first letter of a word so it seems logical that “not stopping” should indicate the opposite but I am unconvinced. Am I missing something?
4. STUN – NUTS (fanatical) backwards
5. SCOTCH MIST – SCOTCH (drink) + homophone (“missed”)
6. ELMO – hidden word
7. RIALTO – LAIR (retreat) backwards + TO (to)
8. NEOPHYTE – anagram of THEY OPEN
15. SUCCEEDING – double definition
16. SEAMSTRESS – S[howers] + E[arly] + AM (morning) + STRESS (pressure)
17. HOMESPUN – HO[l]MES (investigator left out) + PUN (wordplay)
20. GRUESOME – homophone (“grew some”)
22. REALLY – E[ggs] in RALLY (mass meeting)
24. MEWING – ME (setter) + WING (fly)
26. PITY – PIT (mine) + Y[orkshire]
27. FLIC – FLIC[k] (knocking off king in film)

11 Responses to “Financial Times 13,452 by Cincinnus”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

Yes, Pete, I’m completely with you.
    This was an unremarkable Cincinnus.
    Of course, the surfaces are fine as ever, but there wasn’t the one brilliant anagram we were waiting for, nor that one moment of great misdirection.
    Pretty standard fare – in Guardian terms, a Monday puzzle.

3d (CAPPUCHINO) was the clue that gave us something to think about.
    Didn’t know that CAPO was a ‘leading criminal’, we were thinking of ‘Capone’ and therefore curious why we should cut off that name as well, just like Puccini.
    But, Puccini nót stopping – he IS stopping before his name ends.
    So?? Do we miss something?

2. Scarpia says:

Thanks Pete.
    As you say,not quite up to the usual high standard of Cincinnus but still pretty good fun.
    Favourites for me 9 across and 17 down.

3 down,I read as – not stopping = not ending,or not coming to an end. One definition of “stop” in Chambers is “to come to an end”.

3. Sil van den Hoek says:

That must be it, Scarpia, but it is a bit clumsy IMO.
    When people say, something’s not stopping, it goes on and on and on. That’s obvious.
    I think this a case in which “A”=”B” , but in which “not A” does not mean “not B” in everyday English.
    It looks like a ‘clinical’ translation of “A”=”B” into “not A”=”not B”. Not sure if that’s legitimate.

4. scarpia says:

Sil,I agree it is a bit clumsy.

5. Pete Maclean says:

Sil, “clinical translation” is a good way of putting it.

Scarpia, thank you for commenting.

6. rrc says:

Finding the answer to 27 probably took as long as doing the rest of the puzzle. Vert straightforward

7. Pete Maclean says:

ITC, do you mean 27 down? You just prompted me to realize that my explanation for that clue was wrong and I have just corrected it. It helps to be a film fan to know that “flic” is common French slang for cop.

8. MarcoPolo says:

Re 12ac not sure how A packing B leads to A inside B; surely it should be the other way around?
    … and “ROLL” = “best” as a verb as well.

And how does TROLLOP = baggage? Chambers online is no help.

It was the only clue I didn’t get; there was only one word that could fit but I couldn’t parse it at all.

A good solve otherwise, particularly liked the &lit at 17ac.

Hi Marco Polo

I see what you mean about the packing – but if you think of a crowd packing a train it works.

Chambers: ‘Baggage: immoral woman [obs.]’

10. Pete Maclean says:

>> And how does TROLLOP = baggage?

Ah, good question. My Chambers 21st Century Dictionary gives this as one of three meanings for “baggage”:

usually humorous, colloq an annoying or unpleasant woman.

PS: ‘top’, not ‘roll’ = ‘best’.