Guardian 25,100 – Orlando

Posted by manehi on August 27th, 2010

manehi.

Some clever clues but pretty easy overall from Orlando today.

1 RESIGNS S[hilling]=Bob inside REIGNS=rules
8 EVINCED ED[ward]=”little boy” carrying VINCE
9 SHAWNEE [George Bernard] SHAW=playwright + NÉE=”born in France”
10 RANKING RANKIN + G[ood]
11 NEWCASTLE NEW CASE around T[hese] L[eague]
12 IMAGE =Double. I[nstant] M[essaging] + AGE
13 SCRAP double def, “Bundle in” and “ditch”
15 TRAIL BOSS (Brit lasso)*
17 ON THE TROT =”In succession”. (the throne)* + [Viscoun]T
19 PLUMB PLUM + B[lack]
22 TOILE rev[Eliot]
23 SEQUESTER =Appropriate in the sense of “take possession”. S[outh] and E[ast] are “directions” + QUESTER
25 MONITOR double def
26 INGENUE GENUINE=sincere with “IN” “appearing forward”
27 MONEYED MON[mouthshire] + EYED
28 YEREVAN Armenian capital. Y=unknown + ERE + VAN[guard]
1 RISINGS I’S=”One’s” inside RINGS=bands
2 SHALWAR SHAL[l]=”almost all” of “will” + WAR=”wear out East”.
3 GENOA GEN=information + [devel]O[pment] + A[rea]
4 SPECTATOR (Prescott a)*
5 EERIE E[astern] + rev[ÉIRE]
6 IAN HISLOP (in a Polish)*
7 CHICAGO CHIC=smart + A GO=attempt
8 DIGRESS DRESS=groom around rev[GI=”serving man”]
14 PRESENTLY =now. (ten players)* missing an “A”
16 ANTIQUITY N[ew] T[estament]=books + I QUIT=”one left” inside A + [the] Y.
17 OPTIMUM OPT=plump + I=single + MUM=parent
18 TRIANON rev( [Frenchma]N ON AIR T[alking] )
20 USTINOV US=American + TIN=can + O=nothing + V[ersus]=against
21 BURGEON =Grow. rev(NO E GRUB) i.e. food with no E-numbered additives.
23 SHRED =SCRAP. R[ight] inside SHED=Slough (as in shedding skin)
24 EAGER rev(REG[g]AE)

31 Responses to “Guardian 25,100 – Orlando”

1. grandpuzzler says:

Thanks, manehi, for your blog and specifically for your explanation for 21D; was unaware of the e-numbers. Thought 26A was quite clever.

2. JS says:

Thanks Manehi & Orlando.

I enjoyed this crossword (as usual with Orlando.) Lots of good clues & learned a few things:
    Never heard of SHALWAR; didn’t know YEREVAN was the capital of Armenia & although I’ve been to Versailles a couple of times was unaware of TRIANON.

Minor quibble with explanation of 7d CHICAGO:
    If ATTEMPT = A GO then ‘encircle’ is redundant – I realise some word would be needed for surface reading but ‘encircle’ wouldn’t make sense.
    With SMART = CHIC & ATTEMPT = GO then those ‘encircle/surround’ the letter A – so definition is just CITY not A CITY.

3. molonglo says:

Thanks manehi. It wasn’t that easy. Never heard of SHALWAR, but it had to be that. Although I got 21d I couldn’t parse it. I failed on two: 22a – twine? something to do with Twain? and 24d – Elgar, for some abstruse reason?

4. Bryan says:

Many thanks Manehi.

This was very enjoyable although I failed in the SE corner having entered PITCH for 19a.

I’d never heard of 28a which didn’t help.

Of course, Orlando could have been much more helpful if he had revealed that Klop, the father of the actor in 20d, had worked for MI5:

5. MikeS says:

nice puzzle and many thanks manehi for the excellent blog and for explaining 21d to me. However I don’t entirely like the clue (clever though it is) because I am a huge fan of curcumin (E-100), which is the active ingredient of turmeric and linked to a host of health benefits!

6. xanthomam says:

14 down: “presently” does not = “now”.

7. tupu says:

Thanks manehi and Orlando

I enjoyed this more as I went along. Got everything, with a bit of guess work on 28 (good clear charade) and vague memory of 2d shalwar.

Fairly low-key overall but several enjoyable clues inc. 1a, 23a, 27a (I like this sort of clue where pronunciation changes), 1d , 4d, 6d, 14d (disagree with Xanthoman), and 21d.

Re 1d I remember an old Take It From Here gag – Dick Bentley “Captain, the crew are revolting”, Jimmy Edwards “Yes, aren’t they”. :) You may well feel lucky manehi that this is well before your time! But it was quite a show, especially for those of us who were in mourning for Itma.

8. tupu says:

Hi manehi

I meant to add :- I suspect ‘scrap’ is just ‘bundle’ rather than ‘bundle in’. This was a worrying clue, since s-r-p leaves a lot of possibilities (inc scrip = a beggar’s satchel!) and one eventually relies on 23d to be certain.
    Also I believe js is right re Chicago.

9. Handel says:

re. comment #6: OED gives ‘at the present time; now: “there are presently 1,128 people on the waiting list”‘

10. Stella says:

Thanks Manehi, though I didn’t find this as easy as you did. Three solutions were unknown to me, and though I got Yeresvan and shalwar from the wordplay, I had to look up Versailles in Wiki to complete the puzzle. In the online version, the solution straddles two lines, and I’d never heard of it anyway. My degree is in French, but I always preferred Spain :)

Also, I don’t know what the connection is between Inspector Rebus and Rankin, and I’ve never heard of Ian Hislop. No doubt Wiki will enlighten me on these two as well :)

Still, I managed to complete the puzzle without the cheat button, and there were some very neat clues.

11. Stella says:

I am now enlightened.

12. Derek Lazenby says:

Enjoyed some, butlargely harder than I like, needed too much gadgetry.

Never heard of the same ones others had never heard of, and had similar reservations about encircled.

Now, a few weeks back, in the general xword thread, I asked if making one of the definitions of a dd to be itself cryptically clued was acceptable. The whole concept was rubbished as being totally unacceptable. But it is only one level of indirection, so I was mystified by this. Despite proposing the idea, I don’t like it for regular xwords, but it should be OK in one aimed at the more expert solver. So, what is the difference between that idea, which involves one level of indirection, and 26a which also involves one level of indirection to get to GENUINE as a first step? If indirection is OK, then it is OK in all circumstances. If it is not OK then where are the incendiary comments about this clue?

Stella, if you look at the list of xwords in the top left panel, you will see Private Eye listed. It is that which Mr. Hislop edits.

13. Derek Lazenby says:

Doh, my typing and your Googling crossed over!

14. Mr. Jim says:

Am I the only one who put in PITCH for 19 across? Eventually USTINOV sorted it out, but it took a while…

15. Coffee says:

Another one who had PITCH for ages – until USTINOV went in & changed it & finished the job. Then returned to last weekend’s excellent FT….

16. Martin H says:

I didn’t find this as easy as you did manehi – the SW corner held me up for quite a while, although looking back I don’t know why. PLUMB was one of the better clues, with OPTIMUM and EAGER. I’m still not sure about ‘scrap’ = ‘bundle'; is this in the sense of a fight?

17. Davy says:

Thanks manehi,

There are not many comments up to now which may mean that the clues are not too contentious but I thought it was a marvellous puzzle with a near flawless set of clues varying from easy to hard.

Just to clarify CHICAGO it’s CHIC+GO to encircle ‘A’ city. There is no redundancy in the clue.

There were many great clues and surfaces worthy of Rufus. Well done Orlando. The only clue I failed to get was SHALWAR and I’m sure people will argue (correctly) that shal(l) does not equal will but it’s close enough (sorry Eileen).

Contrary to Derek at #12, I didn’t need any gadgetry to complete this although I didn’t complete it did I !.
    I was surprised that anyone hadn’t heard of Ian Hislop especially when “Have I got news for you” has been running for possibly 10 years but there again I haven’t heard of Paul Merton so maybe that evens things out.

18. tupu says:

Hi Martin H

Thanks re 13a. I had wondered but did not know if fight was a sense of ‘bundle’, but I did not notice it in Chambers or COD. I have now looked at OED and there it is!

i. slang. A fight or scrap.

1936 J. CURTIS Gilt Kid xii. 124 If there was going to be a bundle, he was not going to be bashed sitting down. 1963 ‘A. GARVE’ Sea Monks iii. 88 None o’them ain’t goin’ to start a bundle if he knows his mate’s goin’ to get shot for it.

19. Martin H says:

Thanks tupu, I thought I’d some distant memory of hearing it used like that, but suspected I might be confusing it with ‘rumble’. I notice the most recent example you quote from OED is 1963.

20. Stella says:

Hi tupu,

Thanks for looking that up – it would never have occured to me.

To Davy @17, when I say I haven’t heard of someone or some word, please keep in mind I’ve been living abroad for thirty-odd years :)

It doesn’t matter really, as these things tend to be solvable by wordplay, crossing letters, and a little intuition as to what is or is not probable. Then you look things up, and maybe learn something,

21. Davy says:

Hello Stella,

I didn’t realise that you lived abroad. I’ve been on holiday there too, it’s a nice place isn’t it !.
    However, the capital city of abroad escapes me. Perhaps you could enlighten me.

22. Stella says:

MikeS @5
    Nothing to do with the puzzle, but what many people don’t realise is that many ‘e-numbers’ refer to natural products traditionally use in food preparation, like citric acid, ie. vitamin C.

23. Carrots says:

A bit of a slog I`m afraid with some over-convoluted clues and no “Haa!” moments at all. I was glad to have finished it (eventually) and I wonder when, if ever, I shall encounter words like SHALWAR, TOILE, and YEREVAN again?

Stella @ 10: Please….what is the “cheat button”? I assume that its some facility on the on-line version, (which I don`t subscribe to because I like scribbling workings out over pictures of footballers` bottoms on the facing page). Boy, do I loathe and detest that game.

24. Dynamic says:

A strange coincidence that E numbers (European ingredient classifications) should come up in this crossword, and the cactus on which the cochineal bugs live and are harvested for their dye should come up as solution 10a in the Telegraph cryptic by Giovanni (aka Quixote, Bradman – who posted in response to his FT puzzle) (solving blog) on the same day. Why? A well-trailed BBC One programme on the previous night was all about E-numbers and whether they’re good or bad, this episode being chiefly about colours and flavours (natural and otherwise), and included a fascinating piece about cochineal harvesting and processing to obtain the food-grade dye (which of course, has an E number).

25. William says:

Thank you for the blog, Manehi, although I’m still struggling with this.

Would someone kindly explain for a dimwit; a) why PLUMB = black? Can’t find it in my Chambers; and b) how to parse ANTIQUITY? I get the NT + I QUIT but I don’t understand the ‘stateside hostel’ reference.

Many thanks.

26. manehi says:

Thanks all for the comments, especially the clarification of CHICAGO.

I remember “bundle [in]”=”[get into a] fight” as fairly common in my schooldays c.2000, and didn’t give it a second thought while solving/blogging.

William – PLUMB=”Sound” in the sense of examining depth. “colour: black” gives PLUM + B[lack]. ANTIQUITY – the YMCA, known as “the Y” in the USA, provides hostels and the final Y.

27. The Architrave says:

I struggled with PLUMB too – I thought “sound colour” meant it was a homophone of plum, which left me unable to explain the “black”

28. William says:

Manehi @26 – bless you. Have a nice day.

Architrave @27 – thank you, too. I thought I was alone.

29. James says:

PLUM = verb, to -sound- out a depth.

Colour = black –> “B”

30. tupu says:

Hi James

Sorry. I just came by wandering here.

Plum is a colour (of the fruit) and B is black.

Plumb meaning to sound has to have a b at the end I think.

31. Huw Powell says:

Thanks manehi and Orlando!

Wow, what a puzzle. I found it very very difficult, and yet I finished it! I only got one clue rapidly after another a couple of times. Almost every single one was a tough slog, and of course for a handful (the usual suspects + IAN HISLOP + RANKING) I had to verify via research before inking them in.

When 3/4 done I never expected to actually finish it. Very impressed by the cluing, too. It was tight, I don’t have a single complaint there.

BURGEON was last to go in, and thanks manehi for explaining where the E came from.

I also have been abroad too long and needed to be told why Bob = S, oh well.

I’m glad that PITCH never occurred to me!

Oh, and Stella @22, vitamin C is ascorbic acid, not citric.

Thanks again to Orlando for such a wonderful challenge.