Azed 1995

Posted by bridgesong on August 29th, 2010

bridgesong.

I managed to solve about three-quarters of this puzzle without any assistance from Chambers or the internet.  It’s surprising what being on holiday in remote places can do for the brain.   However, I made somewhat heavy weather of the remainder on my return home.    Fewer anagrams than usual, I thought, but with a couple of easy hidden clues to help get one started.  As is often the case, it’s the shortest words that can be the hardest to solve.

1 DABS Hidden in “road, absorbent”; it’s a term supposedly used by police officers to mean fingerprints, hence the refernce to “whorls” in the clue.
4 COCKNIFY COCK + IF in NY. “Reverse Prof. Higgins’s treatment” (of Eliza Dolittle) is the definition; presumably what he did was to decocknify.
10 OMOPHORION MOP in OH + ORION (the “belted one”).
11 COLEUS COLE + US.
13 ENIGMA E + (AM GIN) (all rev.).
14 CADDOAN C + A in ADD-ON.
15 SEDUM Hidden in “naturalised umbellifers”.
17 SETT SET + T(in).
19 ONE-LINER NIL (rev.) in O + NE’ER.
22 BARRATRY RA in BAR + TRY. I was pleased with myself for remembering this word; it’s possible that it features in the novels of Patrick O’Brian.
24 PEIN PINE with the middle letters removed to the end.
26 DROIL I in LORD (rev.).
27 SAND-BED S AND BED.
29 PRE-NUP REN in PUP. I’m not sure how REN equates to “most of revenue”.
30 CITESS CITES + S. A word that was new to me.
31 ANTIOCHENE * ATHENE and COIN. An easy enough anagram, but the first so far.
32 CHRISTIE *STIR in CH + IE.  A double reference: not just Agatha but also the murderer John Christie.
33 ASPS *PASS. Another easy anagram.
1 DOCUSOAP DO + CU + SOAP. I didn’t realise that “soap” can be US slang for money.
2 BOLIDE B + OLID + (fir)E.
3 SPECULA *CAPSULE.
4 CHUG C(otton) + HUG. Here “bolt” is used to mean to swallow quickly, which is at a stretch one of the subsidiary meanings of the word clued.
5 CREAMERY REAME in CRY.  Reame is a Spenserian word for realm.
6 KINDA KIND + A(dvance).
7 INGOES *SOIGNE.
8 FUMATORIES FUM + A(fternoon) + TORIES.
9 YUAN (platea)U in NAY (rev.).
12 OPEN-HEARTH *PHONE + EARTH.
16 SNAKEPIT NAKE(d) in SPIT.
18 THYLOSES THY + E in LOSS.
20 PARATHA A R(ecipe) in PATHA(n). I wasted a lot of time looking for a partial anagram of “Afghan”.
21 LINEAR LI + NEAR.
23 TOPEES TOP + SEE (rev.). I’m not sure that the clue adequately indicates that only half of its components are to be reversed.
25 ABUTS BUT in AS.
27 SPIC P in SIC.
28 BICE B(rown) + ICE.

16 Responses to “Azed 1995”

1. AJK says:

I failed on 17a. I had?ETT, and running through the alphabet, came across NETT (completed). Should have pushed on through ‘C’ first.

I agree, AZED’s clues for four letter words are often the most difficult.

2. Bob Sharkey says:

29A REN(T) in PUP

3. Bob Sharkey says:

23D I have (SEE + POT)(rev)

4. Bob Sharkey says:

You are right about the short words, Bridgesong. 28D must be BRICE, but B=brown? I think that must be a slip on Azed’s part. I remember CITES=townswoman from earlier Azed puzzles.

5. Bob Sharkey says:

Correction – My remark @4 above should read ’28D must be BICE’ etc

6. Gaufrid says:

Hi bridgesong
    Regarding 23dn, I agree with Bob @3. Under ‘pot’ Chambers has “an important person (usu big pot; informal)”.

7. David Mansell says:

4 dn. Where do you find “swallow hastily” as a subsidiary meaning of “chug”. It’s not in my 2003 Chambers. Perhaps in the 2008 edition?

8. Bob Sharkey says:

2008 edition gives ‘a quick or large swallow, esp of an alcoholic drink (sl)’

9. Bob Sharkey says:

In addition, it gives ‘vt(sl) to drink in quick gulps [Imit}’

10. Bob Sharkey says:

My 1999 Oxford Concise gives ‘chug(2) v. (chugged,chugging) N Amer. informal consume (a drink) in large gulps without pausing. – ORIGIN 1980s: imitative’

11. David Mansell says:

Looks like I’ll have to buy the new edition of Chambers. Curses!

12. Claire says:

Thanks Bridgesong.

Like yourself, I was on holiday last week without access to Chambers etc. and surprised myself by being able to complete so much. I had begun to think I’m normally perhaps too quick to resort to aids and resolved to tackle this week’s puzzle unaided.

Ah well – back to the dictionary.

13. grandpuzzler says:

Thanks, Bridgesong, for your excellent blog. Also, thanks to Bob Sharkey for the interesting Oxford citation on chug which indicates a North American origin in the 1980’s. My buddies and I were chugging beer in college in Bellingham, WA in the early 60’s. Little did we know how far ahead of the curve we were!

14. bridgesong says:

Thanks, all, for your comments. I agree with Bob Sharkey and Gaufrid about 29A and 23D. On reflection I was perhaps a bit harsh in my comments about stretching the meaning of CHUG. Anyway, time to finish 1996!

15. RichWA says:

My problem with 4D was not CHUG, which I have met in American fiction, but BOLT. I am sure I have never come across it being used to mean “to drink quickly”, only “to eat quickly” – and that is how it is explicitly defined in Collins, Penguin and the on-line Oxford dictionary.
    Anyway, the grandchildren have gone home so, as you say, let’s get on with 1996

16. Bob Sharkey says:

Thanks for that bolt from the blue. I agree entirely. Do you know a chug from a pink?