Independent 7450 by DAC

Posted by flashling on September 1st, 2010

flashling.

Pretty easy and straightforward DAC today.

This was a bit rushed so there may a few typos.

1 Tapestery – Apes + T(itian) in TRY
5 Rabbit – Rabbi + T(time)
10 Arson – A+R(adical)+SON
11 Provender – P(ost) + Rover around END (scrap)
12 Coloradp Springs – COL(onel) + OR (soldiers) + ADO (trouble) SPRINGS (starts)
13 Paradise – PARAD(IS)E
15 Noble – NOB(b)LE
17 Hades – HAD (experienced) E(ternal) S(uffering)
19 Strapped – DD
22 Proboscis Monkey – Pro(for) BOSC(h, Artist) IS MONKEY (Eng slang for £500)
24 Tetragram – (A Four letter word) Margaret reversed about T(his)
25 On Air – Reverse hidden in Wagna(rian O)pera
26 Warden – Raw reversed + DEN
27 Parented – Was Mother, PA + RENTED

1 Thatch – THAT + CH
2 Pestel and Mortar – (A modern platter’s)*
3 Sangria – (Gran Is)* + A
4 Rapid – Fleet, RID about A P(ort)
6 Aneurin - Postwar leading Labour Party member and alternative name for Thiamine, vitamin B1
7 Bed and Breakfast – B&B =Pension, can’t see the stock market reference
8 Thashers – Type of birds related to mocking birds and getting thrashed.
9 Monsieur – (rum noise)*
14 Insecure – IN + SEE around CUR
16 Chepstow – (The cops)* + W
18 Storage – OR in STAGE
20 Propose – Police Officer in PROSE
21 Hybrid – Hom. High + BRID(e)
23 Samoa – SAMO(s)A

20 Responses to “Independent 7450 by DAC”

Thanks for the blog, flashling.

Re 7dn: I didn’t know, either, but googled and found this:

(Economics, Accounting & Finance / Stock Exchange) (of a stock-exchange transaction) establishing a loss for tax purposes, shares being sold after hours one evening and bought back the next morning when the market opens.

2. pat says:

Re Thrashers. How am I supposed to know this is a type of bird? All the other answers are in common parlance, so why resort to an odd word like this?

Thanks, flashling.

I liked this one, as always with Dac, and found it on the easy side with only a few clues needing a bit of deliberation.

I remembered BED AND BREAKFAST from the news broadcasts when the financial crisis was being discussed. TAPESTRY and CHEPSTOW got a tick for being cleverly clued.

I’ve always said MORTAR AND PESTLE, but perhaps I’ve been misguided all these years (Mrs Google returns more hits for my version, however).

4. nmsindy says:

Thank for the blog, Flashling.

Pleasing puzzle, not too hard. THRASHER was new to me but the wordplay led very clearly to it, and it was easily confirmed.

Don’t think Bevan quite got to be Labour Leader tho he certainly had a big following in one wing of the party way back.

My favourites were PARADISE and HYBRID, and everything was clued so elegantly as always from Dac, with great flow to the surface readings.

5. Stella says:

Thanks flashling, and Eileen for explaining the stock market reference – definitely dubious!

Pat@2, you’re not supposed to know everything, especially with homonyms, but a quick look in the dictionary usually confirms.

I’ve always said pestle and mortar, KD. Maybe the other is consulted more often because it’s less common ;)

This was a fairly easy offering from Dac, with some nice clues and surfaces. I liked 22a, imagining the bishop (of Rome) taking over from Michelangelo for a while as he went for a coffee – and painting over the ‘naughty bits’ :lol:

6. Lenny says:

I’m new to the Indy puzzle and find it a bit cavalier in its use of abbreviations. Today I can’t find any dictionary justification for P=post, R=radical and S=satisfactory.

7. flashling says:

Hi Lenny #6 P for post I guess the GPO started that; R for Radical from my chemistry lessons and S for satisfactory from well probably other crosswords and work assessments although others might have other ideas. The Indy gives it’s setters a reasonably free rein which makes the crosswords a bit more interesting than one with a rigid house style.

@others thanks for the B&B explaination. 24 Tetragram I could swear that was more to it than that! Hopefully next time won’t be done in such a hurry, no cheating required, the blog took much longer to write than the solve.

Anyway thanks Dac for a good puzzle.

8. Lenny says:

Hi flashling. Yes, I know Radical begins with an R and Satisfactory begins with an S but that does not make them accepted abbreviations. Also, P is not acceptable on its own as Post just because it occurs in PM or GPO. What about Menstrual to clue M from PMT or Dirty to clue D from DOM or,C to clue Certificate in CSE. The Indy seems to be the only crossword that allows such clueing. In fact the other broadsheet crosswords limit their one-letter abbreviations to a subset of what is available in the dictionary.

9. flashling says:

@Lenny we’re not the setters, we’re the guessers. We don’t have any affiliation with the paper either. I think the Indy’s style is more for great surface clever clues rather than a strict style, having said that, I’ve questioned things before and been told it’s listed in such or such dictionary and they are – personally I like the style, horses for courses I guess.

10. Gaufrid says:

Lenny
    P for post, R for radical and S for satisfactory are all abbreviations listed in Collins, with two out of the three being the first in the list.

11. Gaufrid says:

Lenny
    I should add that Eimi, the Indy crossword editor, favours Collins.

Hi Lenny at no 6. I remember making a comment a while ago about S for satisfactory. It’s not in any of my dictionaries either, but seems to be accepted crosswordese, from the comments teachers used to put on your work: VG (very good) G (good) S (satisfactory) … and so on. Still not convinced, but G to hear from you on the blog anyway.

13. flashling says:

@Lenny we’re not having a go at you, stick around we’re trying to help honest! Please keep coming back, the more minds the merrier and we (I) do make mistakes from time to time. Talking of time I’ve had a long day so I’m out of here.

14. eimi says:

Lenny seems remarkably well informed about what the other broadsheet editors allow, but which dictionary is the dictionary? Gaufrid is correct – they are all in Collins, but radical is also in COED, so I assume THE dictionary must be Chambers. Mike Laws wrote an interesting filler in the IQ recently about abbreviations. Some are just common sense and not in any dictionary, such as S or L for short and long, which will be recognised by anyone who buys their own trousers.

15. Stella says:

Hi Eimi,

Or as large or small by anyone who buys clothes. I think trousers need more specific definition if you want to be able to do them up, and don’t want them round your buttocks – ie. if you’re not of the hip-hop persuasion :)

To tell the truth, Lenny, I’ve never seen ‘s’ for satisfactory; I only ever got ticks, crosses, G or (occasionally) VG :)

16. Paul B says:

Salt and pepper, too. But all the best abbrevs have their place in a list in Chambers, Collins, SOED or all three – and that’s just my preference.

Lenny can upmake his own mind as to what he finds acceptable, but he can at least rest assured that there is excellent method in what may appear, at first sight, to be Indy madness.

17. Allan_C says:

I was puzzled by 8d but THRASHER was about all it could be. So I googled ‘thrasher’ and ‘singer’ and came up with at least three possibilities, viz:
    Willie Thrasher, Inuit singer; Joe Neil Thrasher jr, American country music singer; USS Thrasher, named after the thrasher, a thrush-like bird known as a singer and mimic.
    Indy crosswords aren’t just for pleasure and relaxation – they’re educational!

18. Lenny says:

Oh dear, I didn’t realise anybody read this blog so late at night. Thanks for all the comments. One reason I started to do the Indy crossword was because I suspected it might have a different set of ground rules from the others so, in that sense, it has been a useful learning experience. Thanks to Gaufrid for pointing out that all the abbreviations I complained about are in Collins. I must confess that they seemed so unlikely that I only bothered to check for their non-existence in Chambers.

19. walruss says:

I have seen a sage-thrasher before, but that was, I admit, in a crossword-puzzle!! I hope you continue with the Indy’s puzzles Lenny, as they’re very good.

20. Allan_C says:

If anyone’s still reading this so late in the day after the crossword appeared, regarding abbreviations the latest editions of Collins and Chambers don’t have separate lists of abbreviations – they’re all in the main body of the dictionary.