Independent 7454 by Klingsor

Posted by NealH on September 6th, 2010

NealH.

I think this was mostly up to the usual Independent standard and had a nice mixture of clues with some well-concealed definitions. A couple were quite amusing (especially 5 down). The only clue I didn’t like was 13 down, which for me was virtually unsolvable unless you’d heard of that type of music.

1 Rabbit: Rabbi (Jewish teacher) + [curran]t.
4 Impounds: DD – 1 m(illion) pounds, the prize on Who Wants to be a Millionaire?.
10 Depth Charge: H(ospital) with dept before it and then cost (= charge). Def is bomb.
11 Rip: [D]rip (daughter shed = drop the d).
12 Asphalt: &lit. (a path’s)* around [materia]l.
14 Hitchin: DD.
15 Castles in Spain: DD.
17 Carbon Monoxide: Centre of [Mexi]co [City] = CO, chemical formula for carbon monoxide.
21 Chapati: Pat (a little butter) in chai[r].
22 Draught: (H + guard)< + t(emperature).
23 Nil: I in NL (IVR for the Netherlands).
24 Hair raising: Hair (=shock) + a[we] in rising.
26 Chabrier: Cha[t] (=gas) + brier (a type of pipe). Refers to Emmanuel Chabrier.
27 Intend: I tend around n(ew).
1 Riddance: [F]ir[m]< + d[amp] + dance (=steps).
2 Bap: Ab< + p(iano). Def = roll (i.e. bread roll).
3 Ishmael: Email* around sh. Ishmael was a biblical figure who was apparently at war with society.
5 Marching Orders: (Charmer Rod’s g in)*.
6 Open top: Op + note* + p[olicy].
7 North Riding: North (= Lord North) + riding (= up). The North Riding is a historical division of Yorkshire, which would include Whitby.
8 Supine: Pin in Sue.
9 Photosensitive: CD/DD.
13 Passacaglia: Pass Caglia[ri] around a. Cagliari is the capital of Sardinia, but I don’t think it would be the first name that would jump to mind when asked to name a capital city.
16 Restaged: E[xotic] + stag in red.
18 Blather: B + lather.
19 Oration: [H]oratio N[elson].
20 Iconic: Hidden, rev in pacino cinema-goers.
25 Ire: [L]ie around r[oad].

25 Responses to “Independent 7454 by Klingsor”

1. anax says:

This was really good fun, tough but entertaining as one expects from Klingsor. I had to cheat for 13d and 26a but I’d be disappointed if every crossword I ever solved restricted itself 100% to words and phrases I already know.

My lack of knowledge was more than made up for by the subtle cleverness of several clues. The use of “bun” in 1a is terrific, 4a was a real smile/groan when I spotted it, 24a is a beautiful lift & separate with “shock and awe”, 19d is a hugely impressive fodder subtraction, but for me 12a tops the lot as this answer has been gagging for fresh treatment for years and Kilngsor has pulled off a stunner.

Great blog, great puzzle.

Thanks for the blog, Neal.

I’d forgotten that Klingsor was Alberich until halfway through – then I didn’t feel so bad about finding this difficult!

It was, as Anax says, great fun, as usual. Favourite clues from an excellent bunch: 17ac and 19dn. Many thanks, Klingsor.

3. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the blog, Neal. Maybe I was lucky today but I found this easy enough. Getting the two long across entries on first run through did help. Favourite clues in a v enjoyable puzzle with some excellent surfaces, RABBIT, ASPHALT and MARCHING ORDERS.

4. Merlyn says:

I found this hard – only got 20 and 23. Why is Rabbit = Bun?

5. Rishi says:

Anax

I agree with you on the fresh treatment given to the word at 12a, leaving Cleopatra’s snake alone.

You may have noticed that in DT Toughie 393, Kcit too had a refreshingly different wordplay for the same word.

6. Rishi says:

Bun, says Chambers, is a palyful name for a rabbit or squirrel and parenthetically notes: Origin unknown.

Can’t we take it as short for ‘bunny’?

But then the same dict. says that the Ety. of ‘bunny’ too is unknown!

7. Merlyn says:

Colin/HealH] please see my comments on 7442, with apologies for delay.

8. Mick H says:

Thanks for the puzzle and blog – 19d was my favourite too. And like Anax, I failed on 26a and 13d, an unfortunate intersection of ignorance. Perhaps we might have been given something more than ‘capital’ for Cagliari, seeing as Sardinia isn’t actually a nation state! That gripe aside, all good fun.

Managed about a third of the puzzle, so well over my horizon at the minute. But hey, one day …

My excuse for not getting 2dn is that round here, your ham and cheese come in something called COBS, and BAPS means something completely different (although you usually do see two at a time).

10. sidey says:

Cobs ? baps, although both are made of bread.

Got all but 13d and 26a. 13 does seem to be something fairly obscure clued by an obscurity but everything else was good to the very good ASPHALT.

11. sidey says:

Rats, the ? above is supposed to be the ‘not equal to’ sign!

12. Colin Blackburn says:

I too fell on the same answers as anax and Mick H. I agree with Mick’s comments on 13d, I feel easier wordplay here would have been fairer. My favouurite clues agree with those of nmsindy. As for BAPS, well I’ve lived all over the UK in my time and have grown to learn the terms for bread in most places, especially coming from the microcosm of Huddersfield. I like cobs crusty but prefer baps to be soft and not too large.

Colin, lmao, as Kathryn would write.

Quite right, sidey and Kathryn’s Dad.

I doubt if anyone outside the Midlands has even heard of cobs in this sense [and it's pretty difficult to get them even here, these days].

The nearest, I think, is what used to be called dinner rolls – crusty and rounded and far superior to the soft, flatter bap, in my opinion.

Any road up, the clue is perfectly fair, since both can be classed as rolls.

Sorry, Colin – took too long to type and missed yours!

16. sidey says:

Colin, I inhabit that microcosm now, the first time I was asked whether I wanted my bacon in a tea-cake was a bit of a shock.

Cob is surely national? I can’t think of another name for a crusty roll.

On the banks of the River Tyne, your bacon comes on request in a Stottie. Unless your filling of choice is ham and pease pudding.

Okay, I’m out of here for today, since rather than participting in a random exchange about dialect words for bread rolls, others will surely want to discuss the puzzle that Klingsor no doubt spent some considerable time constructing for our pleasure.

18. Colin Blackburn says:

Yes sidey, tea-cake, in the sense of barm cake, bap, roll, rather than something with fruit in doesn’t stretch too far from Huddersfield. I don’t think they even understand the term in Leeds. When I first moved to Manchester I asked a Londoner to get me some tea-cakes while he was out shopping thinking my usage was universal. He brought back Eccles cakes which don’t make for good cheese sarnies!

K’s D I recently came across the excellent neologism of STOTTINI up here in the North East.

Where’s the Virgilius regional bread-themed puzzle when you need it! Though if you count BAP, CHAPATI and BUN there was a barmy mini-Nina here.

19. flashling says:

Can’t argue at all with Anax at #1 felt exactly the same way and that the hospital dept wasn’t the hackneyed ENT we normally see.

13 down though, ugh, very unusual word with almost impossible wordplay, how far down the chain of regional capitals is acceptable? – in one of the Sunday barred off crosswords I expect this is OK but for a mid week puzzle?

For 26 I’ve always thought the pipe was spelled briar which really didn’t help.

As far as the buns/baps discussion goes I thought that was more Punk/Paul’s style. I’m a midlander so cobs are what I’d order if I was hungry. Although I may well have a bacon roll before tomorrow’s blog. :-)

20. Klingsor says:

Many thanks for the encouraging and constructive comments, as always. If only I’d known at the setting stage that this one would set off a very amusing and enlightening discussion about bread rolls I’d have put a few more in! More importantly I take the point about 13 down. As some of you have already guessed from my pseudonyms I am a serious (classical) music nut, and I sometimes forget that these days I’m seemingly in an ever-shrinking minority. I’ll try to make sure that any non-obvious music references have easier wordplay in future.

Such feedback is very valuable and once again, thanks to all who contributed to this blog.

21. flashling says:

Klingsor, thanks for the puzzle, re 13 down, well, I used to set a lot of pub quizzes, I used to subscribe to the idea that there’s no difficult or easy questions, just ones you know the answer to or don’t, but learnt that anything you have to look up to check is too hard, except for tie breakers perhaps.

Can’t resist sorry, who in a round on colours is a gentleman a scholar and an acrobat?

22. Wil Ransome says:

Nice crossword and I agree with the praise that has been heaped on it by various people. Also agree that Cagliari is a bit difficult (but not passacaglia, come off it, Bach wrote some famous ones for the organ, honestly, all you footballers and rock artists are quite happy to put people in a puzzle of whom I’ve never heard — Klingsor is just having his say, although he was very diplomatic at 20 above).

But I can’t see why in 1dn ‘damp, chiefly’ is d, which seems to be necessary and is what we are told by NealH. Surely ‘damp, chiefly’ is ‘dam’? Or is ‘chiefly’ an indicator (that I’ve never seen before) for the first letter?

23. Gaufrid says:

Wil
    “Or is ‘chiefly’ an indicator (that I’ve never seen before) for the first letter?”.

One of the definitions, in Chambers, for ‘chiefly’ is “in the first place” which, for me, is a reasonable indicator for the first letter of a word.

24. Wil Ransome says:

Well there you are Gaufrid. Thanks. I’ve learnt something. Very useful when setting.

25. Allan_C says:

Flashling, I too thought the pipe (and other meanings) was ‘briar’, but Chambers gives both spellings and implies that ‘brier’ is the preferred one.
    I guessed that 26a was a composer, but just couldn’t think of a name that fitted. Then as I reached for my Concise Oxford Dictionary of Music the name came to me before I’d even opened the book. Odd, actually, that sort of thing happens quite often; as soon as I start to look something up I realise what it should be. Does anyone else have that sort of moment?