Guardian 25,107 (Sat 4 Sep)/Shed

Posted by rightback on September 11th, 2010

rightback.

Very short on time so a rapid blog this week – apologies for the brevity. Solving time not taken as I used a dictionary and also interspersed solving with blogging to get the blog written faster, but there were some hard bits in this and I suspect it would have been about 15 mins.

Music of the day (11ac): Cosmic Girl by Jamiroquai.

* = anagram, “X” = sounds like ‘X’.

1 BIG AMY – this one amused me.
4 P(ARIS)H – P.H. for ‘Public House’, and ‘aris’ for ‘Aristotle’, as Cockney rhyming slang for ‘bottle’, from ‘bottle and glass’ = ‘arse’. Something like that, anyway, although up here ‘glass’ rhymes with ‘mass’.
9 FL(A)Y – I originally had ‘ge(a)n’ in here, possibly getting confused with ‘geta’.
10 DRIFTS DOWN – wasn’t sure about this phrase.
11 CO(S)MIC
12 CORONOID; (ORINOCO)* + D – an unlikely anagram but I got it on second look.
13 ASTROLOGY; AS TROY around LOG
15 JU(N)G – ‘banged up’ = ‘in prison’ = ‘in JUG’.
16 FOUL, from FOUR – the word ‘four’, not the answer to 4ac.
17 KNACKERED; rev. of CANK + rev. of DEREK – clever wordplay.
21 ARTEFACT; (AFTER)* + ACT
22 NARNIA; N, + ARIA around N – the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and all that.
24 [l]IMITATIONS
25 LAIR; rev. of RIAL – the currency of Iran and some other countries.
26 NAP + PER
27 CAN(Y)ON
1 BELLOWS (2 defs)
2 GOYIM; GOY[a] + rev. of MI (= ‘note’) – a ‘goy’ (to a Jew) is a non-Jew, and this is a Hebrew plural. An interesting question along these lines is ‘Which two common words in the English language have plurals ending in the letter ‘M’?’ (‘seraph’ and ‘cherub’).
3 MEDICAL; ME (= ‘Yours truly’) + rev. of ACID (= ‘cutting’) + L[ap] – I liked ‘cutting’ = ACID but not ‘laptop’ = L.
5 ARTERY; ARTY around E.R.
6 INDENTURE; INURE around DENT – ‘a written agreement or contract’.
7 HAW + KING
8 MISCEGENATION – mixing of races. Not a word I’ve come across before, so this didn’t go in until I had most checking letters.
14 ROUTE-STEP; REP around OUTEST
16 FOREMAN; FOE-MAN around R – ‘foe-man’ is an old word for an enemy in war.
18 CANASTA; CAST around AN, + A
19 ELISION; rev. of NOISE around L,I
20 CAST(L)E – I think some people claim the (chess) piece is a rook, and ‘castle’ is incorrect.
23 RALLY (2 defs)

12 Responses to “Guardian 25,107 (Sat 4 Sep)/Shed”

1. molonglo says:

Thanks rightback. This was all right, hard to get more excited than that. Laboured over this longer than expected. Guessed 4a, especially the ARIS bit (some trivia hopefully I won’t need again), after finding the explanation on a blog. Didn’t like OUTEST=least repressed much, in 14d. Finally found CORONOID (12a) in the Shorter, and awarded the setter good marks for a neat intro to that clue.

2. Tokyocolin says:

Thanks Rightback. I thought this was fairly straightforward for a Saturday Prize. Only word I didn’t know was Coronoid but it had to be that from the wordplay and I liked the clue.

I think 10ac is a simple DD – “drifts of snow came down overnight”, “drifts down the river.”

I am familiar with Cockney rhyming slang and even with Aristotle for bottle and bottle (and glass) for arse but would never get the triple leap from ARIS to bum.

3. Biggles A says:

Rather more straightforward than last week’s. I’m not sure what the significance of “recalling” is in 12. It had to be CORONOID of course and this is ‘applied to processes of bones of a curved form like a crow’s beak’ hence BILL but why RECALLING?

4. Biggles A says:

Unless it is simply applying another name for BILL.

5. Bryan says:

Many thanks Rightback I was delighted to discover that I had solved this puzzle correctly, never having heard of Aris.

When I was in the Army, we used to Break Step when crossing bridges and I never knew what the Americans called it. Regardless of the name, we never brought any bridges down.

For Music of the Day, I would choose something from Show Boat whose story line included a case of Miscegenation:

Life Upon the Wicked Stage

6. molonglo says:

Biggles A #5: I reckon coronoid ‘brings to mind’ the bill idea.

7. tupu says:

Thanks rightback and Shed

I solved this with my son who was visiting. It was quite testing in places but very fair, though like molongolo we least liked ‘outest’.

re 17 Isn’t this just K + can (tin) + derek reversed?

Re 12(Biggles A) We understood ‘recalling’ to = ‘being like’ something i.e. reminding one of.

8. tupu says:

Sorry molongolo – we overlapped re 12.

9. Stella Heath says:

Thanks Rightback

My comments regarding the blog have already been covered by tupu and molonglo. 17ac is K+<CAN+<DEREK – I agree, RB, good clue.

I looked at this twice last Saturday, getting only one short answer, then forgot about it during the week and did it this morning, with lots of checking, so I suppose you could say I found it tough :)

That said, as I was doing it, I realised it is actually scrupulously fair, with some very good clues. The two words I didn't know – 12ac and 8d – were straight anagrams, so gettable.
    Thank you, Shed, for a good puzzle.

10. Davy says:

Thanks rightback,

Quite enjoyed this and completed about three quarters of it fairly quickly, leaving only the NE corner which I stared at blankly for some considerable time. I have to admit to cheating on 4a to get me going again and hadn’t heard of ARIS for bum. I wasn’t happy with the second part of the clue for DRIFTS DOWN ie goes with the flow. DRIFTS ALONG would be more fitting but there again that wouldn’t fit the first part of the clue.

Favourite clues were BIGAMY and ARTEFACT.

Yes tupu, you are definitely right about 17a.

11. Martin H says:

Most of this was pretty good – BIGAMY, JUNG, KNACKERED – all excellent.

OUTEST, yes that was bad, and I too am not quite happy with ‘drift down’ as a stand-alone phrase. Tokyocolin suggests that it is justified by its use in ‘drift down the river’, but I think you need the whole phrase; all ‘down’ is doing is qualifying ‘drift’, and it’s not an idiom like ‘drift away’ for example. Would ‘flows into’ still work separated from, say, ‘the sea’?

I was stuck on ‘Parish’ for a while, too; wondered about ‘Pariah’, and then realised what I wasn’t seeing was ‘PH’ for ‘boozer’. ‘Aris’ was clear then, it being not unfamiliar from years ago, but I was surprised by its etymology. Glass rhyming with arse is all wrong to me too – I have heard Catholic friends say ‘Mass’ that way, but I note that you give us the small ‘m’, rb. Nice commentary by the way – the brevity didn’t detract – thanks.

12. Daniel Miller says:

Sorry but this one well and truly defeated me. Despite completing nearly every day and most Saturday’s I just couldn’t understand this one!!!! Made no sense whatsoever of any of the clues. I’ll dig it out and have a look at the answers later…