Independent 7,462/Dac

Posted by Ali on September 15th, 2010

Ali.

I never got round to tackling yesterday’s Tees, and I guess today’s puzzle would have come as a relief to those that did. As to whether or not it was any good? It’s Dac, 11A…!

1 BUMP OFF – P[-r]OF in BUMF
5 FOSSIL – S(ocial) S(ecurity) in FOIL
8 BALL OF FIRE – IRE after BALL OFF
9 DOSH – DO + S-[andwic]H
10 YOGI – YO G.I
11 END OF STORY – S[-pending] in END OF TORY
12 MINNELLI – NELL in MINI
15 INDEED – I + N(ame_ + DEED
16 DES-RES – DES[-1]RES
18 HOT SPOTS – Cryptic def.
20 CAMPAIGNER – I[-s] in (GERMAN CAP)*
22 OBIT – O(ld) + 1 in BT
24 EDDO – E(very) D(ay) + DO
25 GREENPEACE – N(ew) PEA in GREECE
26 CRAFTY – RAFT in CY(prus)
27 SHYSTER – Hidden in masS HYSTERia
1 BEANO – BEA[-r] + NO!
2 MULLION – MULL + ION[-a]
3 OFFIE – OF F(ellow) + I[-nsid]E’
4 FRIEDRICH ENGELS – (FRENCH GIRL’S IDEE)*
5 FEEL FAINT – IN in (FLAT FEE)*
6 SEDATED – D(aughter) in SEATED
7 INSURGENT – (GETS RUN IN)*
13 ICELANDER – A in (DECLINE)* + R[-ecession]
14 LASTINGLY – LA’S TINGLY
17 REPROOF – PRO + O (ball) in REF
19 PROJECT – PRO (for) + J(udge) in E CT.
21 RUNNY – RUN + NY
23 IN-CAR – INCA + R(adio)

6 Responses to “Independent 7,462/Dac”

1. NealH says:

I’m not sure how “o in saddles” explains 19 down. I think it was Pro j(udge) + E ct.

A nice puzzle after yesterday. I didn’t follow 1 down, but then comics were never really my thing.

2. Ali says:

Ooops, that was left over from the Morph I blogged last week. Cheers for the spot, I’ve duly updated!

3. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the blog, Ali. A very good puzzle, which I found a little harder than usual from Dac. Esp liked END OF STORY, ICELANDER with the nod in the surface towards the banking crisis, also liked the clever definition in CAMPAIGNER. I think in 18AC, there may be two parts with the definition referring to the internet and then hot spots (tropical parts)

4. Colin Blackburn says:

Very nice puzzle. In addition to those clues mentioned I also liked 1dn which is semi-&lit given that Biffo appeared from 1948 to 1986 and even made a comeback after that.

Lovely puzzle, precise clueing as always from Dac, and the obscure words were clearly signposted. OFFIE was my last to go in; couldn’t see it for ages.

I too liked the nod to the Icelandic banking crisis.

6. Allan_C says:

Nothing too difficult but a satisfying exercise none the less. YOGI and OBIT were very neatly clued, and 26A was quite 26A. I didn’t realise that ‘raft’ in the sense of ‘lot’ was a separate word according to Chambers, I always assumed it was a figurative use of the idea of a mass of, e.g. floating logs.