Everyman No. 3337 (12th September)

Posted by The Trafites on September 19th, 2010

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Nice puzzle to solve this week, nothing to taxing for a Sunday morning. Should Otello in 4 across be Othello? Thanks Everyman.

Legend to solution comments:
*  =  anagram.
<  =  word reversed.

1. Place containing tiny back room (6)
LEEWAY (WEE<) in LAY
Lead in Otello, part he developed carrying a gibus (5,3)

OPERA HAT O+((PART HE*) around A)
Plant, rosy in bloom, Faith cultivated outside (9)

FORSYTHIA (ROSY*) in (FAITH*)
11.
Master has little time during bad defeat to be upset (5)

TUTOR T in (ROUT<)
12.
One who makes a bit? (7)

LORIMER cd
a lorimer makes metal parts for horse harnesses
13.
Notice one model is fatty (7)

ADIPOSE AD+I+POSE
14.
A Vivien Leigh role, as Charlotte, baroque artist (8,5)

SCARLETT O’HARA (AS CHARLOTTE*)+RA
17.
Magazine’s article about me in a Cheshire town (9,4)

ELLESMERE PORT ME in ELLE’S REPORT
Elle is a womens fashion magazine
21.
Breakfast dish made by great Italian round Los Angeles (7)

GRANOLA GRAN+O+LA
22.
Former social worker without equal, covering miles on runs (7)

ALMONER (M(iles) in ALONE)+R
24.
Country home needs help sent over (5)

INDIA IN+(AID<)
25.
Dame’s with German husband in siege town (9)

LADYSMITH LADY’S+MIT+H
26.
Discount boy not working (4,4)

MARK DOWN MARK+DOWN
27.
Make fun of post at college (4,2)
SEND UP SEND+UP
Flies flying round the French flat (8)

LIFELESS (FLIES*) around LES
Mistake admitted by conjuror, really upset (5)

ERROR hd reverse: conjuROR REally
Shocking times, wearing a shortened mini! (7)

ABYSMAL BY(times) in (A SMAL(l))
Operate without assistance, as one into patience will (4,1,4,4)

PLAY A LONE HAND cd
Nastier fizzy Greek wine (7)

RETSINA (NASTIER*)
Recently stolen on Jersey? That could be a controversial issue (3,6)

HOT POTATO cd
Aim at goal (6)

TARGET dd
10.
Not at all credible, bird under car being clipped (4,2,7)

HARD TO SWALLOW HARDTO(p)+SWALLOW
15.
Unexpectedly relaxed about article, the leader of the band? (9)

ALEXANDER (RELAXED*) around AN
ref: Alexander’s ragtime band
16.
Sailors aboard vessel, science fiction craft (8)

STARSHIP TARS in SHIP
18.
US writer’s come over to be entertained by fat cat (7)

LEOPARD ([edgar allan] POE<) in LARD
19.
Man sees shapes in a body (2,5)

EN MASSE (MAN SEES*)
20.
Discrimination shown in shocking images (6)

AGEISM (IMAGES*)
23.
Diana disguised as a nymph (5)

NAIAD (DIANA*)

0000000000000000000

10 Responses to “Everyman No. 3337 (12th September)”

1. Quixote says:

Otello is the title of Verdi’s opera, so no.

2. Everyman says:

5D is PLAY A LONE HAND

3. Stella Heath says:

Thanks Lorraine,

My two corrections have been covered by the foregoing posts, so not much to add.

I got stuck for a long time on 25ac, having put in ‘game’ for ‘hand’ in 5d. When the penny finally dropped, I couldn’t be bothered to look up the town to find out about the siege – can anyone explain?

I have the impression the famous Greek wine is probably more popular with crossword setters than with wine drinkers ;)

Thank you Lorraine and Everyman.

Very good as usual. Learned something (LORIMER); had to look something up (LADYSMITH – it’s South African, if I remember from my Googliing, Stella); and chuckled (LEOPARD, which was excellent).

I think you’re right about the Retsina, Stella!

5. Paul B says:

I like the layout of your blog as well as its content – very helpful indeed.

6. David Travis says:

“nothing too taxing for a Sunday morning” — surely you are joking. The only “Lorimer” (“One who makes a bit?”) I know used to play for Leeds in the 70s. I thought the answer to this clue was “dentist” which is a lot more satisfying! Nor had I heard of “almoner” (esp since ‘social worker’ had me going down the ant or bee route) or “naiad”. Thanks for posting the solution.

7. Tom Willis says:

Are there any collections of Everyman crosswords available? I’ve had a quick search on the internet and it looks like there is one, but the only copies are ‘used’ on ebay, or really expensive. Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of one?

5D – we were undecided for a long time between play a LONE hand / play a SOLE hand

8. sidey says:

Tom, the Guardian site has an archive going back to mid 2004ish for Everyman. I don’t know of any books though.

9. Andrew Kitching says:

Chambers books do a nice collection. Still in print

10. Tom says:

Thanks for the tips – printed some off the Guardian website, and tried to order the book via WHSmith online (appears as £1.99). Unfortunately they then cancelled the order saying they couldn’t actually provide it. But yesterday evening my wife found a copy in Waterstones in Manchester so all good!